NOT GOOD: New Line's Bob Shaye on PJ

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it's not about principle and not about the money why not offer to give the proceeds to all the starving actors and directors out there? I personally don't believe he's as noble as you believe. IMHO.

Obviously both men feel THAT IT IS very much about both principle and money. Nobody gets lots of money not caring about money. The two go hand in hand. Jackson wants all he feels that he contractually is entitled to while Shaye does not want to give up any that does not have to give up. Both feel they are correct in their positions. It is very much about both principle and money.

And despite many posts saying otherwise, I still cannot fathom any reason why New Line and Shaye can be able to refuse a audit of the books if such audit is mandated by Jacksons contract. In any normal profit sharing agreement, such a clause is usually normal. Jackson has lawyers who went over his LOTR contract and I am 99% positive that protective language is in his contract.

I ask yet again: If Jackson cannot get an audit of the New Line accounts, how in the world can he ever determine if he has been paid properly in the profit sharing agreement? That is what this comes down to.

Lets face it - both men have history and track records outside of LOTR and that has nothing to do with anything. Yes, Bob Shaye came up with the idea of three LOTR films and did finance them and gave Jackson the freedom to make them. He deserves lots of credit. But he also gave the green light to far more money losers that lost money for the company. Does he also take blame for that? Yes, Jackson made record setting films with LOTR but he has also made some bad to mediocre films that did not do so well at the box office. None of that means anything here.

This is about the legal contract that both men signed for the LOTR films. How can anyone raise an ethical objection to having that contract enforced? An audit is part of that enforcement mechanism. Who has how much money.... who is rich and powerful ... who is responsible for LOTR success ... who has a right to be angry .... who got their panties in a twist over hurt feelings .... those are all side issues which deviate from the proper central issue of each parties contractual rights and responsibilities.

Some people think it doesn't make all that much of a difference, but it really and truly does.... (Just look at the Harry Potter films....None are bad, but most of them are different and you can tell that there were three directors....or is is four now?)

Not that the end result would be bad from some other director, but PJ's look and feel are so specific and he made such a mark with the public and with the actors...I am sure if he could decide, McKellen would only want to work with PJ on this!

Yes indeed. I really hope this all comes together as we hope. I know Bob Shaye has seemed to be the bad guy from his own statements etc. I hope he can be a big enough man to basically admit he was wrong, and I believe he can be that guy.

Now on to what we want to see: THE HOBBIT from New Line, Directed by Peter Jackson!

Also might be a good time to change the name of this thread, if possible or close it to begin another, because this is indeed Good news now.

Uh, did you guys read a different article? That didn't really say anything new, seems Shaye was just being politic.

Hope springs eternal. 2010 would be a very nice year for THE HOBBIT. And the toys and poly ..... can't wait.

Uh, did you guys read a different article? That didn't really say anything new, seems Shaye was just being politic.

Sounds like 2 me he's starting to figure out PJ and crew have to do The Hobbit. His stance has changed it looks like even he's just playing a bit of games. Which is more than what we've seen in months.

Bottom line, as with any other business, I'm hoping it will all come down to dollars & "sense". New Line is fully aware that the marketing and box office draw would be more successful with "LOTR Academy Award winning" PJ at the helm.

Fans want it and deserve it. They need to make it happen.

Right! If they just think about the money it might actually help something really good get made for once. That's a crazy thought I know. :rotfl

I hope that article is right on and 'The Hobbit' will be made by New Line with Jackson at the helm.

I know that eventually the rights for Hobbit will revert back to MGM and theire head siad that PJ would definitely be in charge, but I would hate for two different studios to have made these films. That means there would be no complete box set of all the films, different packaging, etc. It's in everyoe's best interest to get this film on track with the original parties involved.

Even if another director immitated PJ's style and used all the same designs, actors, etc. the film would definitely have a different feel. I love Raimi, but not for the Hobbit. Jackson established Middle Earth for the screen and he needs to continue it. Maybe a few years after that they could even kick out the Silmarillion or Children of Hurin.

Almost every boxed set of LOTR comes with a copy of The Hobbit. We need our DVD's to be the same way.

Right! If they just think about the money it might actually help something really good get made for once. That's a crazy thought I know. :rotfl

It kind of makes you wonder what goes through these peoples' minds sometimes. They have whole legions of fans literally waving fistfuls of money at them, and they are basically ignoring them.

It kind of makes you wonder what goes through these peoples' minds sometimes. They have whole legions of fans literally waving fistfuls of money at them, and they are basically ignoring them.

Yup, does make you wonder what the hell bounces around the inside of their heads.

Though Hasbro did that to lots of people at SDCC. Since they made you go get a ticket (which you had to wait in line for like 45 mins) then come back down to wait another hour. Just to give them money.

Back