NOT GOOD: New Line's Bob Shaye on PJ

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Uh, did you guys read a different article? That didn't really say anything new, seems Shaye was just being politic.

There was a new vibe.
The last statement was a bit colder and some of the informal statements from New Line's upper echelon indicated that PJ would definitely NOT be directing because they would not work with someone who is suing them. They even mentioned when Bob Shaye had referred to Peter as 'arrogant'

Now....He must be coming to the conclusion that they mith lose if they spend $200 million on a a final epic piece of the saga and have less people flock to see it...And one person who holds great power and sway over this project....is Ian McKellen....He probably does not realize it...but if McKellen said he would not work on this w/o PJ and Fran, then New Line would have to consider the impact of having a film w/o everyone's favorite Gandalf in it. Sure the could do it....but would they want to....simply out of spite? No way...Just like Micahel Corleone said....this is business.....not personal.
Having PJ, fran and Sir Ian back is just good business sense.

Last edited:
And Shaye had been personally vocal and vehement that Peter would not be involved with New Line.
The mere reporting of this may get things rolling as quickly as the earlier reports villified Shaye in the eyes of fans.

Hope is kindled.

There's so much to be said about stylistic consistency, and after seeing PJ & Serkis's Kong, I have a hard time imagining anyone else's Smaug.

I'll jump on the smallest indication that this will happen.

There's so much to be said about stylistic consistency, and after seeing PJ & Serkis's Kong, I have a hard time imagining anyone else's Smaug.

I'll jump on the smallest indication that this will happen.

Thats a good deal of it. It will make it hard to enjoy as much knowing it's not PJ and Weta involved.

It's not just the knowing. The way that Serkis plays CG characters, I think it'll be glaringly obvious that it wasn't the same people.

Of course. You'll be able to tell all over the place which will make for a less enjoyable movie experience.

Of course. You'll be able to tell all over the place which will make for a less enjoyable movie experience.

I think New Line is extremely aware of this....and that may be why they are willing to mend fences in the hopes of making a very serious amount of money. This film, if made properly and with enough hype....could make one billion dollars worldwide and that may not even have to include the merchandising!

:chew

Last edited:
That's what I'm saying. This is one time I'd like them to think about the money so we get the best movie possible.

I think New Line is extremely aware of this....and they may be why they are willing to mend fences in the hopes of making a very serious amount of money. This film, if made properly and with enough hype....could make one billion dollars worldwide and that may not even have to include the merchandising!

:chew

Agreed.

Remember money talks!! :D

I agree that there is definitely a new vibe here. I think PJ & Fran were probably pulling a bit of a stunt with their public letter, but it got the job accomplished - which was to show whose side the fans were on.

I think it would be hard to overestimate how difficult a task it was to get the feel of these films right. Anyone who spends time in this community knows how notoriously difficult to please passionate genre fans such as ourselves are. The simple fact that the vast majority are in love with these films says PJ got it mostly right. Everyone has quibbles, but he got it mostly right, and that is no mean feat.

I was watching TV with my wife the other night, and we saw a couple commercials in a row which made her comment that it seems fantasy films are coming out all over. But ... even in the short clips, even with (or because of?) a cast with known stars, they just seem cheesy. I don't understand the reasons for it, but so many of the teams that make these types of films seem to really go for the melodrama, or kind of "wink" or overplay it, giving away that they don't really take it all seriously. PJ played it straight, like a drama set in our world, but in a history where there was magic everywhere. It is almost like Tolkien's very description of Elvish magic (IIRC) - that they don't have a word for it, as if it were a thing that could be seperated and removed - it is just another part of reality for them, as ever present as the other natural laws.

All that to say - the epic vision, the overarching tone, the logistical talent to coordinate and empower so much additional creative talent, and the sheer nuts to think it was all possible - all of this is pure PJ. And without him, we don't have the three films we love. Without him, we don't have The Hobbit that could have been. There would always be a "what if ..."

I think PJ and Fran made their point, and I am glad to see the "turning of the tide" - The first dawning signs that the studio which had enough foresight to make the first three films also knows what is the next essential move.

Bring on the new Weta Collectibles! :D

I was watching TV with my wife the other night, and we saw a couple commercials in a row which made her comment that it seems fantasy films are coming out all over. But ... even in the short clips, even with (or because of?) a cast with known stars, they just seem cheesy. I don't understand the reasons for it, but so many of the teams that make these types of films seem to really go for the melodrama, or kind of "wink" or overplay it, giving away that they don't really take it all seriously.

Interesting points but I hope you weren't referring to Stardust. Stardust :rocks and is based on the wonderful novel by master storyteller Neil Gaiman, for my money the best contemporary fantasy writer around. Obviously they are going for a bit more Princess Bride type tone than Tolkien but JRR's influence is keenly felt. Then trailers have not been that great but it's a kinda odd story to get across to mainstream audiences in 30 seconds. Give the movie a try, or even better the book, and I'll sure you'll be happy you did. Stardust... now playing at a theater near you. :D

Interesting points but I hope you weren't referring to Stardust. Stardust :rocks and is based on the wonderful novel by master storyteller Neil Gaiman, for my money the best contemporary fantasy writer around. Obviously they are going for a bit more Princess Bride type tone than Tolkien but JRR's influence is keenly felt. Then trailers have not been that great but it's a kinda odd story to get across to mainstream audiences in 30 seconds. Give the movie a try, or even better the book, and I'll sure you'll be happy you did. Stardust... now playing at a theater near you. :D

I am biased, but go see Stardust! My friend and teacher, Fight Master Richard Ryan, not only did the fight arrangements/choreography, but he also was DeNiro's stunt double and did some of the fighting for him!
Richard is arriving this evening in NY and I am assisting him with an intensive stage combat class at a local College here in New York! We are taking the students to see Stardust and his other film that is opening next week, the Last Legion, with Ben Kingsley and Colin Firth!
Stardust is a lot of fun! Go see it!

:lol Yes, I was referring (as one example) to StarDust. I was at lunch today with some friends whose opinion I really respect, and unprompted they said "Hey, we saw a fun movie the other day", referring of course to the same. So, I think I'll have to withdraw any prejudgements on this particular film until I know better what I'm talking about! :eek: But, I think you guys may still agree with the basic premise of my comments, which is that PJ (mostly) successfully navigated around the cliche's and melodrama which could have damaged these films, to deliver a product grounded in gritty realism. Here's hoping again, that it really does represent some reconcilliation (or at least willingness to work together) on the parts of those whose participation in a successful Hobbit is essential. :peace

The newest of the news is that Sam Raimi may indeed be directing THE HOBBIT, with PJ producing it. SO... the question is "Is that enough?" Is it enough that Peter and Weta have their hands in it? If the look and style of Peter's films is all over this, Will it be enough to ensure that we're seeing the same level of craftmanship and magic that the three films have?

Raimi IS indeed a talented director and of course, has a very similar history as Peter, starting off as an independent, no-budget director of horror films that mixed up as much humor as fake blood. And of course, despite the problems with Spiderman 3, he's learned how to wrestle with big budget fantasy films that are loaded with special effects.

So. Again, the question remains, "Is it enough? Will this make everyone happy?"

BTW: I am a huge Gaiman fan and can't wait for STARDUST!!!! (A busy weekend and a boatload of Work have kept me from my usual Friday Movie Premiere experience on this one)

If Peter Jackson's name is on it, even as a producer, then it will go a long way with fans, and presumably with the talent both on and off screen. We don't just need PJ, we need the actors and crew who are loyal to him.

Back