"No Country" Best Picture? Really?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm the exact opposite, although No Country wasn't my favorite film of the year. But Blood was unwatchable for me. I can't stand DDL - and it's not just because I want to be 'different'. I just hate his style of of completely over-the-top stage acting. In a play - sure. On the screen - gag.

I vastly preferred Juno and Atonement, but understand why No Country won.

I hate... so much about the things that you choose to be.

I preferred 'No Country For Old Men' and really do think it was the most deserving of Best Picture. Now, I did enjoy 'There Will be Blood'. DDL was fantastic in it and the story kept me glued to the screen but there was just something a little big more intriguing about 'No Country for Old Men' for me.

I know this is several months late....

But after watching "No Country" and "There Will Be Blood" several times each, I don't seen how in God's great name "Blood" didn't win the best picture and best director Oscar.

I'm a huge fan of the Coen brothers (love 'em), but I know a robbery when I see one.

Was this another one of those Oscar "theme" years? Like when they had the "Black Oscars" with Whoopie hosting, Denzel & Halle winning, and Sidney Poitier receiving the Honorary?

Seems like this was a Coen Bros. tribute year...which is great...but it stole the thunder from the greatest dramatic film of the decade.

Am I alone in this?

I thought it was a worse travesty in 1994 when Forrest Gump was awarded Best Picture over the Shawshank Redemption.

Last edited:
I hated "Blood" and thought DDL wasn't really that good. He was really, really good in almost any other movie except for that. I only liked about 1 hour out of 3 of the movie.

"No Country" was an amazing movie and should have taken tops in all, but I also loved "Micheal Clayton" and "Gone Baby Gone". And I went to see all those movies loving the ^^^^ out of the trailers and wanting to own them all on DVD even before I saw them. "Blood" is the only one I won't own.

"Juno" also killed and "Pirates" shouldn't have even been on the list. Only good part about "Pirates" was the rock crab thingys!!! Loved those guys!

And what happen to "Eastern Promises" and "Kingdom"??!! Loved both of them too!!!! Viggo didn't even get a nod?? WTF was that about!!

Last edited:
I watched 'No Country for Old Men' again the other day and liked it more the second time I saw it. I still prefer 'There Will Be Blood'. Both Daniel Day Lewis and Paul Dano where great. Both of their acting was amazing!

"Get out of here, and don't you dare turn around and come back, for if you do, all the armies of my boot will kick you in the teeth, and you will be cast up, and thrown in the dirt, and thrust back to Perdition! And as long as I have teeth, I will bite you! And if I have no teeth, I will gum you! And as long as I have fists, I will bash you! Now, get out of here ghost! Get out of here, ghost! Get out of here, ghost!"

And the classic...

"Drainage! Drainage, Eli, you boy. Drained dry. I'm so sorry. Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, that's a straw, you see? You watching?. And my straw reaches acroooooooss the room, and starts to drink your milkshake... I... drink... your... milkshake! I drink it up!"

Can't wait for the BluRay! :chew

PsychoCenobite :monkey5

I watched 'No Country for Old Men' again the other day and liked it more the second time I saw it. I still prefer 'There Will Be Blood'. Both Daniel Day Lewis and Paul Dano where great. Both of their acting was amazing!

"Get out of here, and don't you dare turn around and come back, for if you do, all the armies of my boot will kick you in the teeth, and you will be cast up, and thrown in the dirt, and thrust back to Perdition! And as long as I have teeth, I will bite you! And if I have no teeth, I will gum you! And as long as I have fists, I will bash you! Now, get out of here ghost! Get out of here, ghost! Get out of here, ghost!"

And the classic...

"Drainage! Drainage, Eli, you boy. Drained dry. I'm so sorry. Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, that's a straw, you see? You watching?. And my straw reaches acroooooooss the room, and starts to drink your milkshake... I... drink... your... milkshake! I drink it up!"

Can't wait for the BluRay! :chew

PsychoCenobite :monkey5

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee suck sir! What?! Forrest Gump isn't in the same league as the ShawShank Redemption!

I love both movies equally. Two of the best westerns in years. Superb acting in both movies and great stories. It's hard to pick a favorite because they're two different movies. There Will Be Blood is like a period piece and a bio-pic, i guess, where you see how Daniel Plainview became this rich oil tycoon. Kind of like Citizen Kane. Where as No Country For Old Men is more of an action western, which reminds a bit of Terminator like stated earlier. Both movies deserved the awards they got, especially Daniel-Day Lewis.

But No Country... will get more spins in the DVD player because it's a action-western, it has a shorter runtime and it doesn't need as much attention to the story like There Will Be Blood will :D

I love both movies equally. Two of the best westerns in years. Superb acting in both movies and great stories. It's hard to pick a favorite because they're two different movies. There Will Be Blood is like a period piece and a bio-pic, i guess, where you see how Daniel Plainview became this rich oil tycoon. Kind of like Citizen Kane. Where as No Country For Old Men is more of an action western, which reminds a bit of Terminator like stated earlier. Both movies deserved the awards they got, especially Daniel-Day Lewis.

But No Country... will get more spins in the DVD player because it's a action-western, it has a shorter runtime and it doesn't need as much attention to the story like There Will Be Blood will :D

:slap J/K IRON!:D

I guess I was wrong. It seems that "No Country" has overwhelming fan-support versus "Blood".

Just seems like for once I really enjoyed a movie that is typically right up Oscar's alley ("Blood") and they gave it the cold shoulder.

But don't get me started on the fact that "Juno" was even nominated....:monkey4

Back