"No Country" Best Picture? Really?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are Big Lebowski and Fargo more enjoyable films? Certainly. But if you're looking at it from an artistic stnadpoint, No Country wins. Not that art should be the sole facot rin determining the quality of the film. I'm far more likely to pop in Lebowski or Fargo than I am No Country. I simply enjoy them more. However, I cannot deny how great a film No Country is.

"There Will Be Blood" is a great movie.

That said, "No Country for Old Men" is the most-deserving Best Picture winner since "The Silence of the Lambs", which in turn was the most-deserving Best Picture winner since "The Godfather Part II".

On any other year "TWBB" would have been a shoe-in but "NCfOM" is like the kind of movie that comes along every decade if you're lucky.

I didn't really like There Will Be Blood, it was extremely boring. It wasn't a bad movie, great acting and everything, but so boring the first hour felt like 5 hours and I couldn't finish the rest.

Really to me, they keep on forgetting a big thing about movies--they have to be entertaining, and most of the movies that they choose for awards really aren't entertaining, they're just though provoking. That's one reason I don't like Citizen Kane.

I think no country deserved to win , it was something new and was a very intense movie.
:)

Need to still buy it actually on dvd.

No Country was a brilliant movie. The movie is gripping as heck with very minimal dialogue or score, which is a credit to the filmmakers. The direction and acting are both top-notch. There Will Be Blood is an incredible movie as well. Both pictures really tell how at the end of the day, you have to be evil and out for number one if you want to survive.

Having said that, the best movie from last year was Zodiac. Zodiac got robbed by not even being nominated, even though I thought it was the best of the best.

No country for old men was the winner for me although it was close. If you live outside the US, you can buy the region A blu-ray of No country, as its not region locked

Having said that, the best movie from last year was Zodiac. Zodiac got robbed by not even being nominated, even though I thought it was the best of the best.

Yeah Zodiac was a great great movie. I think this was about the time Robert started to come up in the spotlight again . Then he went on to Iron Man and kicked major ass ! :rock

I think the Academy got it right. DDL was rewared for his performance in "Blood" but for me, aside from his performance, the movie was a giant snorefest. Overall though, I think "No Country" was a superior movie.

Its hard for me to rank Coen brothers films as their is so much variety in what they have done. There is always a feel and sensibility to their films, but with greats like Raising Arizona, O Brother Where Art Thou and Fargo its difficult to pick a pony.

But I absolutely loved No Country for Old Men, it was a very simple story, but hte characters and way it played out was (to me) incredibly enjoyable and its a movie I've watched many times since getting it on DVD. And a bit part of is Anton Chigurh's, who to me is one of the best characters I've seen on the screen in a long time.

And in the same vein, I think DDL performance in "Blood" was equally phenomenal, but the movie overall didn't work as well and its not one I plan to see multiple times.

Yeah Zodiac was a great great movie. I think this was about the time Robert started to come up in the spotlight again . Then he went on to Iron Man and kicked major ass ! :rock

Agreed. I even think that his acting in Zodiac is far superior to Iron Man. Don't get me wrong, he rocks as Iron Man, but that shows just how good he is in Zodiac.

I agree 100% I loved Blood and found No Country unwatchable.

I'm the exact opposite, although No Country wasn't my favorite film of the year. But Blood was unwatchable for me. I can't stand DDL - and it's not just because I want to be 'different'. I just hate his style of of completely over-the-top stage acting. In a play - sure. On the screen - gag.

I vastly preferred Juno and Atonement, but understand why No Country won.

If only Walter Matthau and Jack Lemmon were still alive, the genius filmmakers behind the SCARY/DATE/EPIC movies could hire them to do a spoof called "No Country for Grumpy Old Men."

If only Walter Matthau and Jack Lemmon were still alive, the genius filmmakers behind the SCARY/DATE/EPIC movies could hire them to do a spoof called "No Country for Grumpy Old Men."

I think that would give "Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2" a run for its money come next Oscar season :lecture I know I would have trouble picking a favorite.

Back