No 'Avengers' For Ed Norton

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

siren3-4

Super Freak
Reaction score
No 'Avengers' For Ed Norton: Marvel Confirms Actor Won't Return As Hulk

As the San Diego Comic-Con draws near, anticipation is building that "The Avengers" will be formally unveiled with Joss Whedon officially attached to direct Robert Downey Jr. as Iron Man, Chris Evans as Captain America, Chris Hemsworth as Thor and Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury for the team's first feature film.

However, it now appears that Marvel has decided to recast the Hulk, leaving Ed Norton out of the lineup.

On Friday, Hitfix reported that Norton and Whedon had met about "The Avengers" movie and both seemed to be excited about the prospect of working together. Norton reportedly even went so-far as to clear his film schedule for "The Avengers" before he was informed that Marvel intended to recast his role.

Earlier today, Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige released a statement to Hitfix, confirming the earlier report.

"We have made the decision to not bring Ed Norton back to portray the title role of Bruce Banner in the Avengers," wrote Feige. "Our decision is definitely not one based on monetary factors, but instead rooted in the need for an actor who embodies the creativity and collaborative spirit of our other talented cast members. The Avengers demands players who thrive working as part of an ensemble, as evidenced by Robert, Chris H, Chris E, Sam, Scarlett, and all of our talented casts. We are looking to announce a name actor who fulfills these requirements, and is passionate about the iconic role in the coming weeks."

It's interesting to note that Feige seems to imply that Norton is not a player "who [thrives] as part of an ensemble" while also confirming that Scarlett Johansson will reprise her role as Black Widow within the film.

Last year, Norton told MTV News that he loved the idea of using the Hulk as a villain in "The Avengers" and seemed open to returning to the part.

Norton also argued that the director of the film should receive a "Dark Knight" level of creative control.

"The Avengers" will appear in theaters on Friday May 4, 2012.

https://splashpage.mtv.com/2010/07/10/no-avengers-for-ed-norton-marvel-hulk/

no no no no no no . .stupid ____ing marvel _______ kevin ________ piece of ____ no brained ____ing retarded monky ____ . . . ____

Well that sucks! I liked Norton as Banner/Hulk, was hoping he would be returning to reprise the role... Wonder who is going to replace him!

That's not good news. I hate the way they change actors, it ruins the "continuity". War Machine/Rhodey was hard to take.
Ok when it's a franchise reboot like Spiderman but this is different.

Interested to see who will take over.

I thought Norton played a good part in a so-so movie. Thats ashame I would have liked to see him come back myself.

That's a real stupid move on Marvel's part. From what I've heard Norton was very into the role and I highly doubt he can't work well with others. The Avengers movie is looking to really suck I think. This sucks cause I love the Avengers and have been looking forward to this since I heard about it. Ughhh.... @*#& you Marvel!!

That's a real stupid move on Marvel's part. From what I've heard Norton was very into the role and I highly doubt he can't work well with others. The Avengers movie is looking to really suck I think. This sucks cause I love the Avengers and have been looking forward to this since I heard about it. Ughhh.... @*#& you Marvel!!

:exactly:
i agree whats happened as i thought everything was looking good on all parties.

I think the first f'up was casting Chris Evans as Cap. now this? What could be next...

From Access Hollywood, Norton's side responds.

LOS ANGELES, Calif. --
A rep for Norton responded to the statement to Hitfix on Sunday, calling it “purposefully misleading” and claiming that his client had been in discussions to return to the role.

“This offensive statement from Kevin Feige at Marvel is a purposefully misleading, inappropriate attempt to paint our client in a negative light,” the rep told the site. “Here are the facts: two months ago, Kevin called me and said he wanted Edward to reprise the role of Bruce Banner in ‘The Avengers.’ He told me it would be his fantasy to bring Edward on stage with the rest of the cast at [Comic-Con] and make it the event of the convention. When I said that Edward was definitely open to this idea, Kevin was very excited and we agreed that Edward should meet with [director] Joss Whedon to discuss the project. Edward and Joss had a very good meeting (confirmed by Feige to me) at which Edward said he was enthusiastic at the prospect of being a part of the ensemble cast.”

However, the rep further claimed, the talks fell apart last week.

“Marvel subsequently made him a financial offer to be in the film and both sides started negotiating in good faith,” he told Hitfix. “This past Wednesday, after several weeks of civil, uncontentious discussions, but before we had come to terms on a deal, a representative from Marvel called to say they had decided to go in another direction with the part. This seemed to us to be a financial decision but, whatever the case, it is completely their prerogative, and we accepted their decision with no hard feelings… We know a lot of fans have voiced their public disappointment with this result, but this is no excuse for Feige’s mean spirited, accusatory comments. Counter to what Kevin implies here, Edward was looking forward to the opportunity to work with Joss and the other actors in the Avengers cast, many of whom are personal friends of his. Feige’s statement is unprofessional, disingenuous and clearly defamatory. Mr. Norton talent, tireless work ethic and professional integrity deserve more respect, and so do Marvel’s fans.”

Norton played the role of Bruce Banner and his alter-ego, the Incredible Hulk, in 2008’s “The Incredible Hulk,” a reboot/follow-up to 2003’s “The Hulk,” which starred Eric Bana in the title role. Reports of a feud between the actor and the studio emerged along with the film, however, with Norton finally issuing a statement to Entertainment Weekly to address the rumors.

“Every good movie gets forged through collaboration, and different ideas among people who are all committed and respect the validity of each other’s opinions is the heart of filmmaking,” he told the mag in April 2008. “Regrettably, our healthy process, which is and should be a private matter, was misrepresented publicly as a ‘dispute,’ seized on by people looking for a good story, and has been distorted to such a degree that it risks distracting from the film itself.”

That 2nd explanation makes a lot more sense... citing Scarlett Johansen as a talented actor while excluding Norton from the same category is ridiculous :lol

Still, either way bummer to hear someone else will be playing the Hulk. I think he did a great job with the role.

Back