No 'Avengers' For Ed Norton

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this is not good.. casting a new hulk is stupid and will doom the avengers... they want joaquin phoenix now. oh that is all we need..i will be boycotting this.. crap . i will see the captain america and thor.. but after that screw marvel..

Thats not true at all IMO. First, they aren't recasting Hulk...they are recasting Banner. BIG difference. And as long as they don't cast Joaquin phoenix this won't doom the avengers at all. The only people that won't see the Avengers if Norton isnt in it are people that might not have seen it anyways....

"Our decision is definitely not one based on monetary factors, but instead rooted in the need for an actor who embodies the creativity and collaborative spirit of our other talented cast members. The Avengers demands players who thrive working as part of an ensemble, as evidenced by Robert, Chris H, Chris E, Sam, Scarlett, and all of our talented casts."

That seems like a big slap in the face to me and cop out. Not a huge fan of Norton as Banner because no one can do it like Bixby. However I do not like it when actors are changed out. Norton has been part of an "ensemble" The Italian Job, The Score, and Fight Club come to mind. If it was coming down to budget though I would rather seem him cut as Banner than Downey as Stark.

Someone correct me if I am wrong but wasn't the last Hulk movie supposed to a reboot or am I just thinking of it as one. If so now what?

I think the big difference between the movies you mention and Avengers is that each of those movies is a stand alone. In the case of the Avengers, the movie is made up of separate franchises that are being squished into the same movie. Think of it as a box office cross over. Not to mention that it's more then likely that Norton would have much less screen time then the rest of "the ensemble" since he would split the role with a CGI green Goliath.

yeah i liked norton, but really who cares just give me another HULK movie with him kicking the shat out of some super heroes.:yess:

I think the big difference between the movies you mention and Avengers is that each of those movies is a stand alone. In the case of the Avengers, the movie is made up of separate franchises that are being squished into the same movie. Think of it as a box office cross over. Not to mention that it's more then likely that Norton would have much less screen time then the rest of "the ensemble" since he would split the role with a CGI green Goliath.

You are right they are smashing together separate franchises. Wasn't Stark played by Downey at the end of the last Hulk which had Norton as Banner? It really isn't a big deal to me just disappointing. When considering that the Marvel movies have according to this page made $8,089,366,226 when they cost $2,535,000,000. Seems like they could have made a better effort to make it work with Norton. All reports I have read seem to me like he (Norton)was good to go and it was down to talking about money. Don't get me wrong I respect that it is in the end a business. Maybe he held out for more than it is worth if so then it is on him. He doesn't seem like an idiot to me though.

I think Norton definitely brought tons to the role of Banner. He rewrote the script for chrissakes! I thoroughly enjoyed his and Leterrier's take on the Hulk, much more than Lee's version. It felt true to the comic character and instilled the best bits of the TV version as well. I just hope his absence in the Avengers movie doesn't mean that the character of Banner/Hulk will be altered.

And I truly hope there will be a sequel of the Hulk with Norton, to continue the great stuff they set up in the first one.

I vote for Jeremy Davies from LOST as the new Bruce Banner:
davies2.jpg

Damn it!!! They have to use Norton! If the internet can get Betty White hosting SNL, surely it can get Norton his job back. Who knows how to start one of those things?

I maybe a little late on this thread but i heard the director and norton fought alot on the set... they didnt get along. that could've been one of the reasons.

I vote for Jeremy Davies from LOST as the new Bruce Banner:
davies2.jpg

good call! i like the guy.

however, i like norton even more. say what u want about him being difficult, he does bring something extra to pretty much every role and banner was no exception. u could actually sympathize with the character, and he did come across as a brainy fellow. but above all that, i like continuity. if it ain't broke, don't fix it. what's the point of setting up all these crossovers when the sense of familiarity is broken by recasting?

marvel seems to be losing its grip as a studio.

LAME! Norton is a hellified actor. Pure genius. This is a HUGE mistake. For all of you out there that said he "only" plays Banner and brings nothing else to the Hulk....He rewrote basically the entire movie! If you liked the last Hulk over Ang Lee's Hulk it's because Norton was difficult that the movie turned out as well as it did. I have no problem with an actor that has the talent that Norton has wanting a say in the way a film is made.

Before anyone says he's not all that, watch the Score, Primal Fear, American History X, or 25th Hour. They are GREAT performances by a incredibly talented actor.

LAME! Norton is a hellified actor. Pure genius. This is a HUGE mistake. For all of you out there that said he "only" plays Banner and brings nothing else to the Hulk....He rewrote basically the entire movie! If you liked the last Hulk over Ang Lee's Hulk it's because Norton was difficult that the movie turned out as well as it did. I have no problem with an actor that has the talent that Norton has wanting a say in the way a film is made.

Before anyone says he's not all that, watch the Score, Primal Fear, American History X, or 25th Hour. They are GREAT performances by a incredibly talented actor.

I will start by stating that I liked the Lee version just as much as this version for different reasons.

In terms of Norton's re-writes...I don't know if it's available, but I never saw or read the script of the movie prior to Norton's re-writes...so I can't make claims on whether it was better, worse or indifferent. Assuming it made it better, that simply means Norton can write...doesnt change the fact that he didnt breath new life into the Banner character.

Also, I don't think anyone said "he's not all that". simply that "he's not all that in terms of Bruce Banner". No one will argue that Norton isn't a great actor, but that doesnt mean every role he takes on is taken to a level of greatness.

Joaquin Phoenix is a good choice. I didn't like the Hulk with Norton. It was ok, just seems Hulk always looks to fake in the movies.

Back