NHL 2010-2011 Season

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Washington needs a coach who can pull the reins on Ovie just a bit. How many times has been suspended already? Twice in one year? Ovie thinks he can do whatever he wants. While there's no doubt to his winning attitude, he still sometimes forgets he plays for a team. It's one of the reasons I'd choose Crosby over Ovie to be on my team 9 out of 10 times.

Another prediction -- Watch out for Tampa Bay. If they remain healthy, look out.
I foresee a 100 point season for Stamkos.

I thought Tampa would be better last year, but now that they have some quality guys running the team, there my darkhorse also

I thought Tampa would be better last year, but now that they have some quality guys running the team, there my darkhorse also

Me too. Thats the reason I got tix for the pens - lightning when they went on sale friday. Football is a good crutch, but man I can't wait for hockey to start. Pens vets report to camp on the 17th. Our "D" should be pretty tight this year.

Me too. Thats the reason I got tix for the pens - lightning when they went on sale friday. Football is a good crutch, but man I can't wait for hockey to start. Pens vets report to camp on the 17th. Our "D" should be pretty tight this year.

What makes you think that?

The bottom of the East will probably prove to be a real cluster, depending on how badly certain bubble teams play, but the teams who could easily fall below TOR: FLA, ATL, NYI, OTT, CAR.

Unlike last year, the Leafs will have a full year of good goaltending, and have Kessel for the entire year.

The Rangers could aspire to their full potential of mediocrity, but I see them taking a downturn from last season. And with Montreal putting all of their faith in Price, I see them sliding down the standings as well.

What makes you think that?

You obviously have no clue what tangibles Asham, Michalek, and Martin bring to the table. Despres is also on the cusp of making the Pens roster with a big enough preseason showing. He had a strong camp last year and looked very good. We have some of the best shot blockers in the game that can also chip in on the PP.

P.S. Asham is a forward but he brings a lot to the table that will fix our defensive woes last year. Two big problems last year. Lack of players who could play in our end and our PP was good for 19th overall.

You obviously have no clue what tangibles Asham, Michalek, and Martin bring to the table. Despres is also on the cusp of making the Pens roster with a big enough preseason showing. He had a strong camp last year and looked very good. We have some of the best shot blockers in the game that can also chip in on the PP.

P.S. Asham is a forward but he brings a lot to the table that will fix our defensive woes last year. Two big problems last year. Lack of players who could play in our end and our PP was good for 19th overall.

Time will tell, I suppose.
IMO, the jury is still out with Pens defense.

Im more concerned with there scoring if Malkin has another sub par season

I highly doubt he'll call in another season. He can't decide to show up only when Crosby gets injured. If that's the case, ask for a trade. The Pens could easily get a #1 defenceman and #1 centreman for him.

Im more concerned with there scoring if Malkin has another sub par season

That subpar year he was still on pace for 95 points and in today's NHL that's top 7 good. Having said that, he sure was a no show in the playoffs and what the hell was he passing to on that man advantage against Montreal? In order for us to win a Cup we need both superstars performing, but I think it's the Cup hangover. He'll bounce back this season and be back to being one of the Big 3. Healthy Crosby or not.

Remember, Crosby was healthy all season long the year he won his Art Ross and Conn Smythe.

Remember, Crosby was healthy all season long the year he won his Art Ross and Conn Smythe.

In 2007-08, Malkin was on fire. When Crosby went down that year, Malkin finally found his potential groove and played like the best player in the league. It carried over into the next season. It's understandable for young players, especially those that good, would want more of a spotlight. Pittsburgh is too small for the two of them. Everyone knows a trade is imminent.

Did you guys read about how hard the NHL went down on the Devils for circumventing the cap? The devils get fined 3 million, and a 1st and 3rd round draft pick. I don't know who ends up getting those pics though... Of course Lou says "We did nothing wrong. We acted in good faith".

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=333690

In 2007-08, Malkin was on fire. When Crosby went down that year, Malkin finally found his potential groove and played like the best player in the league. It carried over into the next season. It's understandable for young players, especially those that good, would want more of a spotlight. Pittsburgh is too small for the two of them. Everyone knows a trade is imminent.

Did you guys read about how hard the NHL went down on the Devils for circumventing the cap? The devils get fined 3 million, and a 1st and 3rd round draft pick. I don't know who ends up getting those pics though... Of course Lou says "We did nothing wrong. We acted in good faith".

I don't need to be told about Malkin's history. I have been a fantasy owner of his since pretty much day 1 as a rookie, I am a Pens fan, and more importantly I am me. I know my ____. I stand corrected by saying you were wrong when Malkin tends to only show up when Crosby is down. He has played exceptionally well when Crosby has been healthy. You seem to think he only shows up when Crosby is hurt. He was also on pace for 43 goals and 96 points as a rookie at one point but slid in the last 15 games of his rookie year with 33 goals and 85 points. Which is common amongst rookies. Inconsistencies that is. Sidney had 120 points that year and cleaned up in hardware. Nope, this was more of a Cup hangover and just not caring as much. Call it being burned out, not putting forth the effort, or a little of column A and a little from Column B. He'll bounce back, bank on it!

As for New Jersey, they're getting what they deserve. The NHL is making a fine example of them. I was really annoyed the NHL accepted 15 years at 100 million after turning down 102 million for 17 years. I was like, what really changed to make the deal legit? lol Who's running this show? The Wicked Witch of the West army of flying monkeys? I honestly don't care about the NHL outside of a fantasy perspective. I am a AHL season ticket holder and love that brand. Hockey is my life. Too bad its best league is a joke. However, I am somewhat proud of the NHL for having some shape-or-form of what looks to be balls. Seeing the NHL penalize New Jersey like this says, you can make deals that push the CBA. Sure they'll be accepted, but you will have a big price to pay. I wished it was more money and more picks though. Hopefully this will make teams think twice before they make ludicrous deals with players. It's the team's fault for falling prey to a greedy player and their agent.

Last edited:

Yeah the league really took it to Jersey. Hope he was worth all of that. :lol

I don't need to be told about Malkin's history.

Who is telling you what you know and don't know? Like I'm a mind reader? When I post, I generally post for the masses not necessarily just to you. It was my opinion of Malkin, not an opinion of what I think you know about Malkin. There's a difference. Sheesh.

:D

Moving forward, I was listeing to Habs radio. I think there's a trade brewing with some of our minor league players like Maxwell and Pacioretty. It looks like they'll get one more shot of showing something before being traded. It appears the Habs brass will be giving Lars Eller every opportunity to show up the Halak trade. Has anyone ever seen Lars play?

Last edited:
Who is telling you what you know and don't know? Like I'm a mind reader? When I post, I generally post for the masses not necessarily just to you. I was my opinion of Malkin, not an opinion of what I think you know. There's a difference. Sheesh.

Moving forward, I was listeing to Habs radio. I think there's a trade brewing with some of our minor league players like Maxwell and Pacioretty. It looks like they'll get one more shot of showing something before being traded. It appears the Habs brass will be giving Lars Eller every opportunity to show up the Halak trade. Has anyone ever seen Lars play?

I havent, but heard on 990 that they were giving him a 3rd line spot, not sure how that is going to show up the Halak trade unless he gets PP time. Cant wait for the season to start

7874_supertrooperssoda.gif

Who is telling you what you know and don't know? Like I'm a mind reader? When I post, I generally post for the masses not necessarily just to you. It was my opinion of Malkin, not an opinion of what I think you know about Malkin. There's a difference. Sheesh.

Every fan knows Evgeni Malkin exploded out of the gate after a injured Sidney Crosby in 07/08, but that was a one time thing. You make it out like it is a reoccurring factor. He has been very capable even with a healthy Crosby in the lineup. 06/07 and good stretches of 08/09 say hello. I just don't like people giving inaccurate information. I will say this, there maybe some bruised ego when it comes to his superstar status constantly taking a back seat to Crosby's from the media and public's perspective. A lot of times it is justified, but I feel it could be a big factor why he may come out flat at times.

Malkin can play if Crosby plays, but last season was more-so due to other things, like being plain lazy and/or tired. He is Russian after all. Most don't keep it up consistently from season to season unless their name is Alexander Ovechkin. Your Vladimir Konstantinovs and Igor Larionovs were other exceptions to the rule. I mean, you always will have those. For everyone one of the aforementioned players mentioned, there are more Russians you can name that don't show up half the time.

A bit OT: I find it funny that Dan Blysma thinks Brett Sterling could find chemistry with one of Crosby and Malkin. I just don't have faith in the guy at all. Sterling that is. We need credible offensive-minded top-six wingers which we haven't had a real luxury of possessing since Marian Hossa. My faith in Sterling, Mike Comrie, and Eric Tangradi, along with your Chris Kunitzs and Pascal Dupuis' leaves much to be desired.

Last edited:
Gionta gets captaincy in Montreal. Good choice. Some might have thought Markov was going to be chosen, however, my thinking is he won't be back next year. Injuiries are becoming more common and he has yet to show up for the playoffs.

A lot rests on Price who has now twice been given the #1 goalie spot without having deserved it... I wonder if we could have picked up Turco for the same price as the Hawks. You know what gets me? There's no salary cap on coaches and/or conditioning experts. Why can't the Habs brass hire as many people as they need to get Price better prepared? Half the time, he looks lost out there. Don't get me started on the 5.5 mill contract he got... It reminds me of the non-salary cap world when Savage managed to get 4 mill a year from the Habs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back