Newbie Attempt at Dio

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Solo_bones, that moisture vaparator looks fantasic and the dio with the Dewback is just awesome.

You must be so proud of these. Makes me want to really get into 1/6th figures...so many possibilities.

Outstanding work Sir :hi5:

:clap:clap:clap

Thanks, brother. But actually, I wasn't completely happy. After I discovered I could emulate a sand base that looked a proper on sixth scale, I figured I could rework my bases and make them more sculpturesque. My wife prefers it and it gives me an excuse to dig in again. So I'm reworking my bases and eliminating the litter box lookalike bases I used previously, and I won't have to worry about sand blowing onto the floor.

Here's my WIP:

F9AD89DE-5DE3-49C8-8E3A-4E0ECB874974-13180-00000C4DFF617678_zps092d2813.jpg

32AB992F-D964-47AF-9C8B-EE50E3DABD64-13180-00000C4E03DEC096_zps1c087efe.jpg

I'm trying to give the impression that its a cut out of the earth, but in a creative sculpt form..the edges will show different layers of earth substrate and have sand on top.

Thanks Qrest. It's got some major flaws..but it's close enough to work.

Here's the latest on the base,.tried to make it look like sand and give it some

D9A19D71-9DF2-4026-B4EB-648790890CD4-13180-00000C7FFF00E269_zps64ab9762.jpg

AE9E7CFA-7125-467F-B506-8DBD398DBE5D-13180-00000C7FFC1B99E5_zpsaf06d40d.jpg

4DE837C7-71C0-477A-8082-285EACAD6DD2-13180-00000C7FF3548F55_zps2483c45c.jpg

The new camera really allows me to get some great photos.....and the new dio base is coming along. I tested out some foot prints and if you time it right you can get solid footprints that look like they are on dry sand.

did you scratch build that structure behind the trooper? dio looking awesome!

Yeah, I scratch built most of it..I used PVC parts and customized them for the rest of it... It was a fun project. My first attempt at model building/dio.

And thanks man...

Inspiring, I'll try and work on some...works like this sparks interest to just work on scratch built things from different materials. :D

Thanks, brother. I found your site and was going through your work....it's incredible.

Here's the moisture vaporator from the movie, I just went off of what I could find on the internet, no blue prints.

Here's the pictures of the footprints, pixelpiper. How have you been, my friend?

I made a mistake on the sand for these prints...i tried a new technique by mixing the wood filler with water and pouring it, which caused bubbles...bad idea. The proper technique is to get a glob of filler and then water it down on the base.....this eliminates bubbles and looks like real sand.

Here's examples of sand when you don't mix and get bubbles:

Been busy. Too busy. :) My office is still a shambles as I have to dedicate time elsewhere and there's still no end in sight for all the spring cleaning we're doing.

Have you mentioned yet what brand of wood filler you're using? None of the ones I've ever used have has any kind of grit similar to the stuff you're using.

Yeah I put that up for anyone interested, check back on page 11 there's a picture of the elmer's wood filler that I have been using.

I've been busy too, laying down topsoil and sod for our front and back yard. Working on the backyard this weekend.

The new camera really allows me to get some great photos.....and the new dio base is coming along. I tested out some foot prints and if you time it right you can get solid footprints that look like they are on dry sand.

Updated new pictures with new camera

Yeah I put that up for anyone interested, check back on page 11 there's a picture of the elmer's wood filler that I have been using.

That must be in the searching for droids thread, I'll take a look for it there. I keep my thread pages at their maximum length, so my page numbers are also different from forum defaults. This thread for instance is still on its 3rd page with my settings. ;)

For reference: Elmer's Carpenter's Wood Filler Max (links to Solo's Droids thread)

Last edited:
We only have the older formula here at HomeDepot, but I'll be in the US next week and will probably pick this up. How has your tub held up? No drying out after being open? I probably won't get to using this right away, or I may need only a small amount in the next month. It's going to be a while before I have time to start on my Tatooine walls dio and vaporator.

It's been great, little to no dry out..plus you can always add water. The lid seals up pretty good. It's great stuff.

Sweet! Can't wait to see your progress. That sounds like a great project, brother.

Last edited:
Everything looks fantastic. I wonder if you would get enough interest (and profit) to make a version 2 (with sub assemblies) moisture vaporator for resin castings...just a thought.

I like when artist share their "how to" tips. Thank you. Oh, and of course, thank you so much for your kind works in my thread. :D.

Back