Newbie Attempt at Dio

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Outstanding work Will. Looks great dude.

Thanks, Chris!! Much appreciated friend...I just put mock sand substrate around the base so it looks like it’s been there a while. I also have to rust it up a bit and remove tape on aluminum dome..

Cool ! OK fair enough with the Sandtroopers. I guess that's what I have in mind should I make one of these eventually. Sandtrooper or Farmboy Luke standing next to it.

I wish it looked better with a trooper there, but I think that droid next to Farmboy Luke would look really great.

Looks very cool all lit up! Hoping to start on my own vaporator soon. Yours is very inspirational!

Thanks for the kind words..I painted the build to dim the glow and it looks a lot better..I’ll post final results in a few days.

Here is an updated video, with silver leaf dome and sand base by footing..still need to add rusting weathering.

I didn’t like the color matching, so I gave it a new coat with my new airbrush and Badger air compressor. I’ll need to sand down to my metal base for weathering and rust up...but here’s the updated:

7A66741B-F296-457C-990E-3ACEF31B9800.jpg

F7D7AE74-671D-4F58-9A18-3475B5B7BC64.jpg

42D85E43-5352-4386-903A-F1A85479BD8A.jpg

37FBFE69-FB7E-4F12-83D1-02D13B03D8E5.jpg

481675BE-5B66-4C7E-AC62-6BBEA9E72334.jpg

Nice Solo. I just bought a new airbrush too. I got a Harder & Steenbeck Evolution Silverline (good German quality) and a compressor with tank.

What airbrush did you get ?

Nice Solo. I just bought a new airbrush too. I got a Harder & Steenbeck Evolution Silverline (good German quality) and a compressor with tank.

What airbrush did you get ?

Nice!!!

I bought a badger 350 and 150...just a couple of average airbrushes. I haven’t done any real work before...this will be my first deep dive into playing around without aerosol powered airbrushes.

Beautiful job, solo... as always :)

Love this thread - so inspiring (and depressing - damn you talented people!!!)

Beautiful job, solo... as always :)

Love this thread - so inspiring (and depressing - damn you talented people!!!)

Thanks, brother! I didn’t really have any real experience like the scratch builders..I somehow did the combo of buying parts and make them by assembling things that looked like they would go well together.

But I tried applying some dry brushed burnt metal to dim the shine and make the dome look a little older, still need to add rust effect.

754F57BE-4F07-4F2A-B65A-15F73A3F6B5E.jpg

I feel I can’t capture the true essence of this thing with video..

Nice!!!

I bought a badger 350 and 150...just a couple of average airbrushes. I haven’t done any real work before...this will be my first deep dive into playing around without aerosol powered airbrushes.

Am sure you'll find the application far more exact and smooth once you have the right mix of thinner etc.

If you like Star Wars and are interested in what you can do with airbrushing I'd check out this guy. He does all the Bandai kits he can, plus plenty of other stuff. Best I have seen !

He often does Works In Progress and details how he did it step by step more or less. Have a look at the B-Wing !! And on pages further back he does summaries for the year 2017, 2016 etc

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums...do=content&type=forums_topic&change_section=1

Back