Newbie Attempt at Dio

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This isn't even a prototype but more a proof of concept put together with various paper tubes, a cd-r paper box and some plastics that we throw away at work all taped together.. :)

for-natet.jpg

I photoshopped in the "cooling towers" to get a better feel for the thing.

Proportions are off by quite a bit in some places but I'm surprised that I could get to something that at least vagely resembles a vaporator in five minutes time.

So, looks like I'm giving it a proper try as soon as I can get my hands on a few plastic tubes of the correct dimensions.

Last edited:
This isn't even a prototype but more a proof of concept put together with various paper tubes, a cd-r paper box and some plastics that we throw away at work all taped together.. :)

I photoshopped in the "cooling towers" to get a better feel for the thing.

Proportions are off by quite a bit in some places but I'm surprised that I could get to something that at least vagely resembles a vaporator in five minutes time.

So, looks like I'm giving it a proper try as soon as I can get my hands on a few plastic tubes of the correct dimensions.

Sweet!! What the heck is in that thing? What is that used for.

You certainly found the shortcut. I'm looking forward to seeing your build. Have fun!

There's nothing like standing your troops next to a vaporator.

The gray parts are plastic pipe ends an the foot is part of a sink I guess you could call it. It looks like you used something similar looking at your pictures.

Then it's a yellow paper tube we use to roll prints and mail them. The other plastics are what's inside the tubes of plotter paper and such to prevent the rolls from collapsing during freight. As it happens the standards are two- and three inch rolls for most printing paper so pretty good scale on those.

Finally the metallic pin at the top is from a roll-up display. It's one of the things I intend to use for the real thing. If I can get it to work the way I want I will be able to do it in two pieces and easily dismantle and put back together if need be.

Thanks, anew. I used a plastic ball and a PVC end cap. For the base I used a stand for 1/6th figures.

37E965BD-D904-40D4-8E07-D03A54BEDA44-1870-0000013385A2384E_zpsfbb4fcde.jpg

Here is the fake security camera I found:

droid-patch-in.jpg

I bought one, it was cheap and looks perfect. The dome is ~9cm/~3,5 inch wide so it's pretty perfectly sized.

I ran into a bump in the road. Some of the cheap plastic tube stuff I bought is PP (PolyPropylene) and apparently it doesn't take glue well or in some cases not at all, so either I have to screw it together or get expensive glue. I might simply get PVC parts instead.

PP will also not take paint very well (or at all). PVC and ABS parts are the most readily bonded with solvents you can find at any home improvement store.

PP will also not take paint very well (or at all). PVC and ABS parts are the most readily bonded with solvents you can find at any home improvement store.

Most plastic for plumbing here is PP since it's less toxic than PVC.:(

Most of the stuff I have bought is PP.

Damn you environment.

Most plastic for plumbing here is PP since it's less toxic than PVC.:(

Even for wastewater? I would think PP is far too flexible for burying. The supply lines in my house are all PP (PEX system), but wastewater is all ABS and PVC in the concrete.

Even for wastewater? I would think PP is far too flexible for burying. The supply lines in my house are all PP (PEX system), but wastewater is all ABS and PVC in the concrete.

Now that I know what to look for, you're right. It's just a different type of store. :)

Almost all the parts I had in mind are available in PVC. The flat "end cups" are the only ones I haven't managed to find yet. I have seen a few that says PP/PVC on them whatever that means. The search goes on..

There is a link in the text, you can flip it, zoom it and do whatever you like with it: https://sketchfab.com/show/es8pzFA84Bm7bhGrJBqnsimqVtL

My project was halted a bit when I found that all the stuff I had bought was Polypropylene which can't be glued or painted, or at least not without great difficulty.

I have since returned them and found other stuff. But then my brothers neighbour said I could get leftovers from his work, so I am waiting to see what I can get get for free and then I'm going to buy the rest of what I need.

Sometimes when you're a big enough cheapskate, time gets excluded as a factor. :)

Woah! Are you back? For a little while? I've been posting links to some of your stuff on Facebook in the past couple of weeks, good timing.

I've popped in to see what's going on....man, I've missed a lot. Loving your Chewie.....

What's this about Facebook? Do you have a page??? Lemme see. :)

Glad to see you are still hanging around here Will. :)

Hello, my good man. I went through a phase.....tried to refocus on some other things. But I had to come back and see what everyone was doing. Man...can't believe hot toys. Outstanding. I just placed an order for a sandtrooper.

Hello, my good man. I went through a phase.....tried to refocus on some other things. But I had to come back and see what everyone was doing. Man...can't believe hot toys. Outstanding. I just placed an order for a sandtrooper.

Yeah, everyone goes through phases with this stuff. The new HT stuff is fantastic. The new Sandtrooper will look great in your dios. You still have them??

Yeah, some have been moved downstairs, but my moisture vap and Dewback are still up top.

Im moving some figures to my office, where I have an empty bookshelf, but my wife is encouraging me to make my beloved dio's. Such a supportive lady.

I'm stoked on these new sand troopers.

Back