New WETA lines

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Everyone,

Sure Bannister. Dark Horse had sole distribution rights in the US on the Narnia and Kong lines. Resellers like myself were able to purchase from Dark Horse in volume at a decent discount level, which we passed on to our customers. First, they changed the pricing levels twice, delivery schedules approximately 3 times and finally, when we placed our initial purchase order for them and Darkhorse accepted it, about 3 months later they could no longer honor it because the quantity purchase limits were changed by Weta for both lines. Then once they were finally received by us (1st shipment), we paid about $500 US more in shipping then were supposed to, which was another nightmare to straighten out. Constant delays on each piece as they were coming out was another nightmare. It should not have been that difficult. I guess it's hard work to distribute for a manufacturer, but Sideshow made it look easy throughout the entire LOTR line. Also incentives are now offered to us as well to continue to stock and sell the lines, but are not retroactive. It was a real mess. The easiest thing a reseller should be able to do is spend his or her money purchasing products. This was not the case. Not to mention I sounded like I was incompetent when it came to release dates because of the info we received. It's sad because I have several of the Narnia and Kong statues in my personal collection and the pieces are really fantastic.

Thanks,
Mike

I got my Narnia bookends from Mike and they are very well done. I didn't realize how much of a headache it was for dealers to order and receive this stuff from Dark Horse & Weta.

Hi Everyone,

Hey Tom, How's it going! :)

We sold about 50 assorted mixed pieces from both lines and it was a nightmare. LOL, never for our customers, but it should not have been this hard.
Such is life and live and learn. Whatever doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. LOL. The pieces are still very nicely to credit Weta.

Thanks,
Mike

mrichards2002 said:
Hi Everyone,

Sure Bannister. Dark Horse had sole distribution rights in the US on the Narnia and Kong lines. Resellers like myself were able to purchase from Dark Horse in volume at a decent discount level, which we passed on to our customers. First, they changed the pricing levels twice, delivery schedules approximately 3 times and finally, when we placed our initial purchase order for them and Darkhorse accepted it, about 3 months later they could no longer honor it because the quantity purchase limits were changed by Weta for both lines. Then once they were finally received by us (1st shipment), we paid about $500 US more in shipping then were supposed to, which was another nightmare to straighten out. Constant delays on each piece as they were coming out was another nightmare. It should not have been that difficult. I guess it's hard work to distribute for a manufacturer, but Sideshow made it look easy throughout the entire LOTR line. Also incentives are now offered to us as well to continue to stock and sell the lines, but are not retroactive. It was a real mess. The easiest thing a reseller should be able to do is spend his or her money purchasing products. This was not the case. Not to mention I sounded like I was incompetent when it came to release dates because of the info we received. It's sad because I have several of the Narnia and Kong statues in my personal collection and the pieces are really fantastic.

Thanks,
Mike
thanks for the clarification. I actually have all the narnia statues and a couple of the kong ones and all of them are top notch. sorry these two lines were such a nightmare. I can't believe how cheap some of the stuff is actually going for. I can't even imagine how much money was probably lost on these two lines.

Bannister said:
thanks for the clarification. I actually have all the narnia statues and a couple of the kong ones and all of them are top notch. sorry these two lines were such a nightmare. I can't believe how cheap some of the stuff is actually going for. I can't even imagine how much money was probably lost on these two lines.

A LOT! :monkey2

LOTRFan said:
yup
although Im not crying about it.
I picked up the Witch, Minotaur and Centaur, from DSC, for right at the price the Witch retails for. :D and let me tell you they are AWESOME!

but I would def. be crying heavily if I had paid near full price. I truely feel for thos who did.

I wish companies understood that constant high ES's drops the future value of the piece and hurts the potential sales of the next line. If most maintained a fairly low ES with each piece, the value would rise in the secondary market which would also spur future sales. WETA upping their ES's last minute like that will deter the sales of the next product due to past, unsold lines collecting dust on the shelves.

I still don't know what made them think they could sell as many as 3000 of some of these statues when they couldn't even do that with some of the LOTR statues.

I'm sorry I thought the Rex vs Kong was AWFULL looking in person! Well let me clarify the paint job was one of the worst I have ever recieved. It was worse than the drunken painter who painted my first Theoden statue. It was bad, I felt bad about sending it back to the dealer (because it being so big and such a pain to deal with) so I kept it. But my mom came up to visit my family with a friend so I sold it to her friend for a $100 bucks. I felt bad even doing that, maybe thats why I havent cashed the check yet.

the Ray Guns are AWESOME!!
I hope I can afford to pick up the entire line.

I talked to Richard Taylor when he was at the Dark Horse booth at SDCC on Sunday. He signed a King Kong poster for me and I asked him what the deal was with the Ray Guns. He introduced me to Greg Broadmore and said he designed them, and how they wanted an old time, sort of Dick Tracey feel to the guns.
The guns looked pretty good.

Greg also said that the Ray Guns will be pricey as the edition will be small for collectibility and the guns do have "functional" moving parts. Same is said about the edition size for their Shadows and Hellgate of London line... I heard it will be ES of 1500 or less on the statue lines. They said they have learned their lesson with the Narnia and Kong lines.
I do hope they HAVE learned their lesson.

Back