New WETA lines

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goliath

Super Freak
Reaction score
From today's Weta NZ newsletter:

San Diego Comic Con

Weta will be at Comic Con, launching its very own Weta Originals. Weta Originals are pieces of creative genius designed by the team here at Weta Workshop and we are launching two very distinctive and very different collectible lines.

Mmmmh... what could these be? Anyone have any futher clues?

I also noticed that in the newsletter.

I'm also interested in this:
...so stop by to say hello and check out our exciting new Weta branded clothing items, we call them 'Weta Gear'.

just got this:

San Diego Comic Con
Weta will be out in force showcasing it's dynamic Superman Returns collectibles and unveiling the first of our new Hellgate: London statues, based on Flagship Studios' hotly anticipated new video game. Comic Con will also be your very first chance to view the amazing new Weta Originals. The Weta Originals are like nothing you've seen before. Not to be missed! At the stand will be Weta Originals creator and Weta Workshop designer, Greg Broadmore. Greg designed armour, weaponry and creatures for King Kong and The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. He will be at Comic Con every day, as will our impressive Kong and Narnia collectibles, so come and meet him and be the first in the world to see his incredible new pieces of art.

In addition, Weta Workshop owner, Richard Taylor will be on and around the stand all day Saturday. The Weta Collectibles team, Jamie, Olivia and Ryan will be on hand to chat and answer questions so stop by to say hello and check out our exciting new Weta branded clothing items, we call them 'Weta Gear'. And, don't forget to pick up a copy of the very special, exclusive Comic Con Weta booklet for even more sneak peeks at what's to come from Weta. Look out for our stand #2615.

Weta originals?
oh please, be a line based on Mythology! :D
.. but then would that be considered original?

lookin forward to seeing the Hellgate line

Like I said on the S&F forum. My impression is that it will be statues of creations of creatures, weapons, etc. from the Weta artists.

We'll see soon...

After adding another 1,000 to the Kong vs T-Rax after releasing a ES figure, poor sales of Narnia, and poor sales of Superman Returns, I think WETA has its work cut out in trying to win back customer credibility. I don't think starting an 'originals' line is the best move. Not to say that it won't be successful, because if they're really cool and have reasonable ES, I'd probably buy in, but the risk is alot higher with unlicensed products with no established fanbase and given WETA Collectibles' current situation...welp, I have my doubts. 'WETA Gear' doesn't exactly help either =/

daelith said:
After adding another 1,000 to the Kong vs T-Rax after releasing a ES figure, poor sales of Narnia, and poor sales of Superman Returns, I think WETA has its work cut out in trying to win back customer credibility. I don't think starting an 'originals' line is the best move. Not to say that it won't be successful, because if they're really cool and have reasonable ES, I'd probably buy in, but the risk is alot higher with unlicensed products with no established fanbase and given WETA Collectibles' current situation...welp, I have my doubts. 'WETA Gear' doesn't exactly help either =/

I bet they're glad they ended their partnership with Sideshow and decided to go it alone!

Wasn't their partnership with Dark Horse when they did Kong and Narnia though?

Yep, it was.

Also, I can make out a weird looking man (or woman) on the right side of that banner...

Agent23 said:
Yep, it was.

Also, I can make out a weird looking man (or woman) on the right side of that banner...

kinda reminds me of Marilyn Manson so I am guessing it could be for the new movie "ALice in Wonderland" where Marilyn Manson will play the Queen. It is being filmed somewhere in Europe so that is my guess.

First I even heard of the new "Alice" movie. If it is, I'll definitely be passing. I have no interest at all in that...

Alice Adrenochrome said:
Agent, did I hear you say "Alice"? Anyway, isn't there a chat scheduled on their site today? Let's ask them about the new stuff.

can you do it? i would love to do it but i have to download and register and all that. let us know if you get the info.

Agent23 said:
First I even heard of the new "Alice" movie. If it is, I'll definitely be passing. I have no interest at all in that...

If nothings changed since I last heard, it's based on the "American Mcgee's Alice" video game which came out a couple years back.

Hi Everyone,

Weta's Kong and Narnia lines were distributed by Dark Horse comics, who made a real mess of both lines, which is why they all go for such a cheap price now. The Superman Returns stuff was through DC Direct I believe. The one ingredient Weta seems to be missing is SIDESHOW. Because they are some really talented sculptors, but if you can distribute the product properly, that can be devastating for a manufacturer regardless of how good they are (Example Palisades).

Thanks,
Mike

don't know if you can or not but just out of curiousity could you expand on what you mean by they made a mess of both lines?

Back