New TMNT movie by Seth Rogan

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And it looks awful

The worst part about Seth Rogen being Seth Rogen, and ruining nearly everything he touches, is I can't rewatch Freaks And Geeks too often, because he tries hard to ruin that too ( at least unintentionally, he was too young to realize he was an anchor....), and I genuinely love F&G's, just not the Rogen parts. At all.

If he wanted to make a new show, how about about rebooting Freaks and Geeks with the characters as they are older. But hiring good writers and people who truly loved the show, not all the woke and shock marketing gimmicks implied. Or make a new show in the theme of Freaks and Geeks.

The worst part about Seth Rogen being Seth Rogen, and ruining nearly everything he touches, is I can't rewatch Freaks And Geeks too often, because he tries hard to ruin that too ( at least unintentionally, he was too young to realize he was an anchor....), and I genuinely love F&G's, just not the Rogen parts. At all.

If he wanted to make a new show, how about about rebooting Freaks and Geeks with the characters as they are older. But hiring good writers and people who truly loved the show, not all the woke and shock marketing gimmicks implied. Or make a new show in the theme of Freaks and Geeks.

He was my least fav part also.

I liked his earlier movies but he’s gone off the deep end and makes crap now

Come on now it doesn’t look that bad. I mean compared to what we had before I’ll take it. I hated those ugly shrek hulk men.

I don't think it looks bad at all. The art style looks very much like a comic book. As for the design of the characters, I like that they kept it very simple and traditional, save for a few details like Donnie wearing glasses and Raph wearing the stupid Michael Bay durag, instead of the classic bandanna.

I also like that they are teenagers, so maybe we'll see them grow up in the sequel, if they make one. Fat April is ridiculous and the fact that they chose to make the black April fat seems a bit suspect. They'll probably make her a lesbian too or something.

I'm not sold on the voices of the turtles yet. You'd think they would give at least one of them a NY accent, but ok, whatever. I think it looks fun, miles better than the latest animated show and Bay turtles. Visually, it might be the best-looking TMNT movie since the 1990 film.

I don't think it looks bad at all. The art style looks very much like a comic book. As for the design of the characters, I like that they kept it very simple and traditional, save for a few details like Donnie wearing glasses and Raph wearing the stupid Michael Bay durag, instead of the classic bandanna.

I also like that they are teenagers, so maybe we'll see them grow up in the sequel, if they make one. Fat April is ridiculous and the fact that they chose to make the black April fat seems a bit suspect. They'll probably make her a lesbian too or something.

I'm not sold on the voices of the turtles yet. You'd think they would give at least one of them a NY accent, but ok, whatever. I think it looks fun, miles better than the latest animated show and Bay turtles. Visually, it might be the best-looking TMNT movie since the 1990 film.

Time to lay down some bets.

Yay?
Nay?

(Don't think it'll be a stretch they made her the former in 2023. I may ever be in trouble for calling her a her :oops:)

I'll go first:

Yay.

Best case: A fresh new direction that fogies like me will have to see for it to make sense.

Worst case: Battletoads 2020. AKA, another disconnected creative team wrapping up their own mindsets in a familiar and safe IP while alienating fans by shaming them for liking what they like.

I dunno. 🤷‍♂️

Why does Mikey have braces? Did some orthodontist actually have a giant turtle creature in his office? That makes no sense. Donnie wearing glasses is also stupid, but at least they could have just found those in the trash or something.

As for what they did to April....

uggs.png

Clearly the trend in Hollywood for the last decade or so is to revel in the opposite of beauty, particularly in children's animation. Character designs just get intentionally uglier and uglier. I can only assume it's because ugly people are doing the animating, and they detest beauty. So we live in an ugly world and our art celebrates that ugliness. I hope the pendulum swings back the other way.

Yea I hate that damn durag on raph too. That’s the only thing that irks me. Nick has been pushing that ugly design since the bay films. I always hated that look. But it’s not as bad here as it was in those bay movies.

Come on now it doesn’t look that bad. I mean compared to what we had before I’ll take it. I hated those ugly shrek hulk men.

You two watching this with the volume on :lol

I don’t mind the “ into the spiderverse” style of animation but not one joke landed. Granted trailers for comedies always play poorly because the timing is all off but this looks to be more annoying than anything else.

I am more a fan of the original comics so I prefer a darker version of the turtles but have found enjoyment from the original film, the animated film, and the 2012 animated series. I hated the original cartoon series and pretty much all the other movies. Though I will admit I like moments from the first MB turtles movie.

This just does not look good imo.

You two watching this with the volume on :lol

I don’t mind the “ into the spiderverse” style of animation but not one joke landed. Granted trailers for comedies always play poorly because the timing is all off but this looks to be more annoying than anything else.

I am more a fan of the original comics so I prefer a darker version of the turtles but have found enjoyment from the original film, the animated film, and the 2012 animated series. I hated the original cartoon series and pretty much all the other movies. Though I will admit I like moments from the first MB turtles movie.

This just does not look good imo.
Well yea I like the art style and kid approach to the turtles I’m still on the fence tho. It could suck ass lol.

Maybe there is hope ?

“Jeff Rowe, one of the directors of Netflix’s TheMitchells vs. the Machines, and Kyle Spears, a storyboard artist on The Mitchells vs. the Machines.”

I heard that movie was good. Didn’t see it though

The Mitchells vs. the Machines was very good. The movie's style and newly original characters had a unique identity that became more endearing as the film progressed.

To its detriment (debatably), Mutant Mayhem has an established cast of characters so there will be conflict when new creative direction and nostalgia clash. I'll say that it can be a bummer for some of us oldsters wanting to see beloved characters get a fresh coat of technical paint only to find out that instead they're getting the ol' Velma IP lobotomy (e.g. shaming us for preferring the source material).

(well...so much for keeping things positive :p)

Why does Mikey have braces? Did some orthodontist actually have a giant turtle creature in his office? That makes no sense. Donnie wearing glasses is also stupid, but at least they could have just found those in the trash or something.

As for what they did to April....

View attachment 626971

Clearly the trend in Hollywood for the last decade or so is to revel in the opposite of beauty, particularly in children's animation. Character designs just get intentionally uglier and uglier. I can only assume it's because ugly people are doing the animating, and they detest beauty. So we live in an ugly world and our art celebrates that ugliness. I hope the pendulum swings back the other way.
They gave her the body shape of a Ninja Turtle.

Maybe there is hope ?

“Jeff Rowe, one of the directors of Netflix’s TheMitchells vs. the Machines, and Kyle Spears, a storyboard artist on The Mitchells vs. the Machines.”

I heard that movie was good. Didn’t see it though
That's another example of the intentionally ugly art and character design I was talking about. I turned it off after a few minutes. The characters seemed to exist only to be repellent. Same as that one about the ogre brothers...."Onward?" They weren't ugly cause they were ogres. Shrek is an ogre and he's not ugly. It's the contotred and unpleasant facial features and expressions that are so off-putting. The "Cal Arts style" was the worst thing to ever happen to animation.

Just watched the trailer again on my 4k tv. The first time watched the trailer was on my phone.

I appreciate the look and style for sure. Not sure I like any of the character designs. So I am with Otomofan on this. But everything else is cool.

IDK… if it wasn’t in Seth Rogans hands I’d be more optimistic. I can’t help but get a Kevin smith’s HeMan concern here.

He was my least fav part also.

I liked his earlier movies but he’s gone off the deep end and makes crap now

Rogen made a film called Long Shot with Charlize Theron which had the potential to be good. The budget, cast and opportunity was there. Except Rogen just fell into his entire "I'm goofy beyond reason, like a cartoon character" routine.

But he's extremely marketable right now because, like the movie Long Shot, if you fit a certain demographic that Hollywood likes to use as as punching bag, then you are completely reliable as the perpetual butt of jokes.

At least in Knocked Up, he tried to show a certain level of self awareness to his situation. Now he's "Flanders" in terms of being the same old tired human Portapotty.

Rogen had a hand in creating the boys and invincible which are both great shows. I’d be more worried if Kevin smith made this. One of turtles would be a girl or April would be the main character.

Back