New Superman movie coming from JJ Abrams

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HT is ready!

I'm excited about the "new" costume. Ideally, it'll be the Returns cowl and yellow emblem, with the 89 body suit, with minor updates.

I can't wait for the 89 Batmobile to make a triumphant return, with the old batman theme playing...omg..

6h62kIT.gif

Well there will never be another SW. Studios are so on top of the IPs that another creator like that can't have the control he wants. SW was so revolutionary in filmmaking that it barely made it into theatres. What I look to is what is unique in storytelling and not in it's setting. I think every setting imaginable has been done. I see futuristic Cyberpunk is territory that is largely unexplored. The videogame proved that the interest is there for it, but it just didn't execute on a technical standpoint.

I think there is a huge market for a big budget D&D. It finally looks like they are getting around to it with Chris Pine staring. LOTR/GoT/Witcher proves the interest is there. It is all about storytelling and the unique look/events it can capture. Videogames are the best place right now for those unique experiences that movies just fail to capture today. People are so desensitized to storytelling that you need a little shock and awe like GoT to really draw people in.
Fantasy is just riding the GoT. Cyberpunk has been "in" for half a decade now, but really, what more can you do with it? Sure, we'll have some "new" stuff, and they might be good. Mass Effect is a relatively new IP. But it's not anything groundbreaking. There's a reason things like Halo and MGS spawned such huge franchises. They were new in the way Star Wars was back in the day. Halo took a Sci-Fi shooter and insirted heavy religious themes and so the property was elevated from being just another space shooter. MGS, for all its faults, was foul of Kojima's soul. MW2 took the world by storm, and CoD by extension, but nobody remembers them because they were just shooters. Good shooters, but shooters and nothing more. The last new IP I can think of is Demons/Dark Souls, with its gothic fantasy look that coupled with the gameplay gave it a unique identity. Assassin's Creed had a great hook before they shacked the head guy to push their historical biases and churn out a "new" installment every year. Bioshock was the System Shock of its era, and it was fairly unique because it was an Art Deco x Ayn Rand game. I can't think of anything in the current day that has even a modicum of individuality.

The point is that while it's extremely hard to come with something fully original, a new Star Wars, a mashup of ideas that turns into something pretty much original, shouldn't be as rare as it is. The problem is that people have stopped experiencing the real world, and their sources of inspiration come solely from pop culture, so they can't create something even halfway original. I don't know where we'll go from here, honestly.

I think Game of Thrones was fresh in the same way Star Wars was: taking very familiar elements, mixing them together and adding them up in a new way. Clearly LOTR inspiration had a big part to play, but GoT took that stilted fantasy, streamlined it, centered on families and made it 'today' - sexy, graphic, mean, intriguing, with tons of cliffhanger shocks. Perfect for television. Would never have worked as a movie. It is a broad, well-thought out world that makes sense within its confines.

More can come, but it won't be through the studio system -- whatever that even means anymore. Unfortunately television is the medium most likely to provide the next Star Wars experience. Unless someone with great connections can con his way into making a ''little movie'' that taps into the pop culture zeitgeist and delivers a vision that is so fresh it seems brand new. Like Lucas did long ago. No one can imagine what that might be... but it will somehow seem so obvious after the fact.
GoT was a sensation back in the day, much like LOST. Honestly, this is the first time that there hasn't been an "it" show. After Sopranos ended Mad Men picked up the slack. Somewhere in there were Breaking Bad and True Detective. When LOST ended, GoT replaced it as the "event show". Ever since GoT ended we've had nothing that had an effect on popular culture like that. It's honestly rather weird.

I don't know, I've lost hope that there'll be anything truly new again.

That's a nostalgia nod so old men like you can clap your flippers and sigh a sign of relief that the world hasn't changed too much without you. Enjoy Keaton Bats... I'm quite certain you will regret ever wishing for this. Think Indiana Jones.
Isn't everything a nostalgia nod to everyone these days? Every single thing is repackaged and rereleased, from the 80s and onwards.

Guy Ritchie will make his own Batman movie.

The Batmen. An ensemble of rough boys from the bad parts of England whose masks never quite fit right.

I'd rather watch a fun Ritchie BatRomp than most upcoming movies, tbqhwy.

Don't say 'BatRomp' three times...

If you follow the examples of chrisstruthers in the other thread, you see that most people really can't discern or they just really enjoy things repackaged and resold as new even if they are obviously derivative. I think its always been this way, you just have to be around long enough to notice.

When you are young you love to relive a good experience -- again and again; watch that movie over and over, play that song over and over, etc. Then when you get old, you love to relive the old (good) times -- again and again. We are creatures of habit.

Its only when everyone collectively gets sick of something -- like disco -- that it dies.

But then, it will resurge once that population ages and wants to relive those good ol' times.

Last edited:
Nothing is original, not even Elvis, the Beatles, and Michael Jackson. So stop whining, darthkostis, and consume pointless merchandise like the rest of us. :cuss

Yeah but it's blatantly unoriginal now. Atleast before there was some talent and creativity in these different crafts.

Don't say 'BatRomp' three times...

If you follow the examples of chrisstruthers in the other thread, you see that most people really can't discern or they just really enjoy things repackaged and resold as new even if they are obviously derivative. I think its always been this way, you just have to be around long enough to notice.

When you are young you love to relive a good experience -- again and again; watch that movie over and over, play that song over and over, etc. Then when you get old, you love to relive the old (good) times -- again and again. We are creatures of habit.

Its only when everyone collectively gets sick of something -- like disco -- that it dies.

But then, it will resurge once that population ages and wants to relive those good ol' times.
When I was young I despised watching/consuming the same thing twice. I was always on the hunt for something new. When I grew older I started noticing the patterns of how samey the vast majority of entertainment was, so I started cutting down. I'm not at the point where I'll rewatch Mad Men in its entirety, but I've rewatched a couple of movies throughout the years. I think it's a case of familiarity. You know that you like this movie, you have good memories attached to it, maybe due to the time when you watched it, and it creates a pleasant and comfy experience. Something "new", regardless of its release date, isn't guaranteed to be worth the hours put into it.

At this point, I don't know what I want. I'd like some new entertainment that will suck me in and make me want to take a day, or even a week, off just to engage with it, but I don't see anything on the horizon. I barely have the energy to care anymore. I just don't see the point. Back in the day we all tried to find justifications for why our childish entertainment was actually "deep" and "mature". Now I now that I like Star Wars because of the space wizards fighting with swords. I like wizards, I like swords, I like space. Simple as. If I take the approach of "I like X and Y" I'll run into the same themes, characters and whatever in pretty much every other piece of entertainment. At this point I go mostly by aesthetics and the base core. And I more or less just filter what I've already engaged with, instead of seeking anything else.

I don't know if there's going to be a collective meltdown. People live and breathe pop culture because it's all over. It surrounds us. Most retreat into it just as a safe space, an escape back into their childhood because they cannot cope with the current world. I don't know if there's an escape and I don't know what it'll be like if there is one. I just don't know anymore.

Nothing is original, not even Elvis, the Beatles, and Michael Jackson. So stop whining, darthkostis, and consume pointless merchandise like the rest of us. :cuss
Well, that's my point, one thing feeds another, various things come together and something "new" is born. Some things are more original than others, but there's a clear difference between them and simply copy&paste products without an ounce of passion put into them.

As for the other part, I finally gave in and I'm watching TCW. I figued I like SW enough to go full completionist and 20 minute episodes at 2.0x are easy enough to burn through. I'm not in any rush, anyhow. It's good enough, honestly. Kiddie like thus far, but it's got flashes of SW fun. I hear it gets better along the way.

But he's all out of bubblegum.
I wish I could kick ass, too... Now I remember Duke Nukem Forever. It's been a decade. A decade. Where does this time go? It came out a year after The Social Network. For God's sake, it feels as if that came out in 2008 and Duke Nukem in 2014 or something. Oh dear...

BlueCreamyJapanesebeetle-size_restricted.gif

Zack Snyder is original. He did things to our precious heroes that no one would have thought to do. :chase

Yeah but it's blatantly unoriginal now. Atleast before there was some talent and creativity in these different crafts.

When I was young I despised watching/consuming the same thing twice. I was always on the hunt for something new. When I grew older I started noticing the patterns of how samey the vast majority of entertainment was, so I started cutting down. I'm not at the point where I'll rewatch Mad Men in its entirety, but I've rewatched a couple of movies throughout the years. I think it's a case of familiarity. You know that you like this movie, you have good memories attached to it, maybe due to the time when you watched it, and it creates a pleasant and comfy experience. Something "new", regardless of its release date, isn't guaranteed to be worth the hours put into it.

At this point, I don't know what I want. I'd like some new entertainment that will suck me in and make me want to take a day, or even a week, off just to engage with it, but I don't see anything on the horizon. I barely have the energy to care anymore. I just don't see the point. Back in the day we all tried to find justifications for why our childish entertainment was actually "deep" and "mature". Now I now that I like Star Wars because of the space wizards fighting with swords. I like wizards, I like swords, I like space. Simple as. If I take the approach of "I like X and Y" I'll run into the same themes, characters and whatever in pretty much every other piece of entertainment. At this point I go mostly by aesthetics and the base core. And I more or less just filter what I've already engaged with, instead of seeking anything else.

I don't know if there's going to be a collective meltdown. People live and breathe pop culture because it's all over. It surrounds us. Most retreat into it just as a safe space, an escape back into their childhood because they cannot cope with the current world. I don't know if there's an escape and I don't know what it'll be like if there is one. I just don't know anymore.

I wish I could kick ass, too... Now I remember Duke Nukem Forever. It's been a decade. A decade. Where does this time go? It came out a year after The Social Network. For God's sake, it feels as if that came out in 2008 and Duke Nukem in 2014 or something. Oh dear...

BlueCreamyJapanesebeetle-size_restricted.gif

We're nothing more than walking time capsules. :lol

Zack Snyder is original. He did things to our precious heroes that no one would have thought to do. :chase
Batman could get BatRaped in a BatPrison in his films, you know. https://www.businessinsider.com/zack-snyder-old-interview-batman-prison-rape-2016-5 He'd get the Big Bane **** right in his BatHole. Shame the plebs robbed us of such cinematic poetry...

We're nothing more than walking time capsules. :lol
Makes you wonder why it's so important to us to get all the expensive dollies based on customed freaks from children's picture books then. I sometimes feel as if I'm wasting precious brainspace on all that...

Makes you wonder why it's so important to us to get all the expensive dollies based on customed freaks from children's picture books then. I sometimes feel as if I'm wasting precious brainspace on all that...

I assume it's all connected to our emotions and experiences, so familiar things that we like evoke a positive response in the brain. Kind of like dog treats get a certain reaction from dogs. Toys are our dog treats. Maybe it gives you something to look forward to when you have to wait for it.

I assume it's all connected to our emotions and experiences, so familiar things that we like evoke a positive response in the brain. Kind of like dog treats get a certain reaction from dogs.

Most probably, yeah. In my case it's also a perverted case of completionism. I can't close the chapters unless I get some sort of expensive memorabilia. Regardless of my current enjoyment of a certain IP, I have to have something if I ever engaged with it for more than a passing moment. I like a few select things to still kill some time with them, but by and large it's less that I "like" all the things I buy merch for, and more of a way for me to put the finishing touches. What I wonder is why I cannot stop it even though logically I can see that there's nothing to tuly get out of the whole thing. I don't mind the money I'll spend on few stuff I genuinely enjoy, but is there a point in amassing 100s of figures and statues and whatnot? If you don't have the money, it's a needless weight. If you do have the money, then might as well buy it all. So what's the point? It's not like these things will stand the test of time. I want to one day give my kid a couple of figures and show him what I liked in my age, but I don't know far it should be taken.

If I had the money and they existed I'd love a 1/6th HT MGS shelf, but I'm buying a TDKR Batman less because I'm still obsessing over Batman and more because I have enough BatMerch already, that I want a way to "solidify" the hours and money spent on Batman. I "need" him in a way. At least I'm not obsessive compulsive enough to want to get multiples. I'd buy a good Terry if they ever do a live action beyond flick though. That's where I am with most of my collecting. Half of it is stuff I legitimately want and half I "need" just to not buy anything again. At least I've culled my "interests" over the years. More than 50% was thrown out of the window, so to speak. I've selected one or two things from every period, so my collection will have some sort of progression. It's better than when I started, really. Maybe in a few years I'll cut down more.

Most probably, yeah. In my case it's also a perverted case of completionism. I can't close the chapters unless I get some sort of expensive memorabilia. Regardless of my current enjoyment of a certain IP, I have to have something if I ever engaged with it for more than a passing moment. I like a few select things to still kill some time with them, but by and large it's less that I "like" all the things I buy merch for, and more of a way for me to put the finishing touches. What I wonder is why I cannot stop it even though logically I can see that there's nothing to tuly get out of the whole thing. I don't mind the money I'll spend on few stuff I genuinely enjoy, but is there a point in amassing 100s of figures and statues and whatnot? If you don't have the money, it's a needless weight. If you do have the money, then might as well buy it all. So what's the point? It's not like these things will stand the test of time. I want to one day give my kid a couple of figures and show him what I liked in my age, but I don't know far it should be taken.

If I had the money and they existed I'd love a 1/6th HT MGS shelf, but I'm buying a TDKR Batman less because I'm still obsessing over Batman and more because I have enough BatMerch already, that I want a way to "solidify" the hours and money spent on Batman. I "need" him in a way. At least I'm not obsessive compulsive enough to want to get multiples. I'd buy a good Terry if they ever do a live action beyond flick though. That's where I am with most of my collecting. Half of it is stuff I legitimately want and half I "need" just to not buy anything again. At least I've culled my "interests" over the years. More than 50% was thrown out of the window, so to speak. I've selected one or two things from every period, so my collection will have some sort of progression. It's better than when I started, really. Maybe in a few years I'll cut down more.

I'm similar that way in that if I'm a fan of a character, vehicle, or thing, I want some kind of physical representation that I can hold or own, even if I don't open it or display it. It's like owning a part of that property or just having that thing to connect to on a physical level that goes beyond just reading a comic or watching a movie or show. If I don't have it, it almost affects my enjoyment of that movie or show because it's like there's something missing, like a hole that I have to fill and Ii always think to myself, I won't need another Wolverine figure...and then Mezco releases the new yellow costume figure with 10 different heads and every accessory I ever wanted. But I have the Mafex one, which is comics accurate....but that Mezco one tho....it never ends.

Also if you have any artistic tendencies, you can also appreciate figures and things like that on a superficial level that to others it doesn't appeal to. I recently bought a very expensive custom knife because I'm a fan of the movie, character, and the knife itself. To some people that a waste of money. Oh well.

I'm similar that way in that if I'm a fan of a character, vehicle, or thing, I want some kind of physical representation that I can hold or own, even if I don't open it or display it. It's like owning a part of that property or just having that thing to connect to on a physical level that goes beyond just reading a comic or watching a movie or show. If I don't have it, it almost affects my enjoyment of that movie or show because it's like there's something missing, like a hole that I have to fill and Ii always think to myself, I won't need another Wolverine figure...and then Mezco releases the new yellow costume figure with 10 different heads and every accessory I ever wanted. But I have the Mafex one, which is comics accurate....but that Mezco one tho....it never ends.

Also if you have any artistic tendencies, you can also appreciate figures and things like that on a superficial level that to others it doesn't appeal to. I recently bought a very expensive custom knife because I'm a fan of the movie, character, and the knife itself. To some people that a waste of money. Oh well.
I'm exactly the same. If I like something quite a bit, and there's merch of it, and it's in a form I collect, I have to have it. If I've ever enjoyed something, and done so in a way that's stayed with me, I have to have some sort of memorabilia. I'm even going back to buy PS2 games I rented or wanted to buy but never did for one reason or the other. I'll never play them, but I need to have that case in my library. I am able to filter things, so I'm not planning on buying a figure of every single thing I've ever enaged with. I doubt I'll ever get a Daredevil, but I'll buy an MCU Moon Knight when it hits. For me, an HT figure is the perfect way to close all those chapters. If the character or property is in my Top 10, I'll buy more merch. But for everything else an HT is enough. If MCU Doom is good enough I'll probably shell out the cash for a 1/4th or a statue or whatever. But for, say, Ghost Rider, a good HT set with his bike would be enough. I read GotG back in 2008 with DnA but I genuinely don't care enough to buy any merch, so I can safely skip all the MCU stuff. A comic accurate Star-Lord would tempt me but that ship has sailed. I've got a bigger investment in the T-Bolts, but while the EllisBolts would be tempting, I can't say that I'd ever waste money on Atlas. Maybe I'd get a Citizen V and Moonstone and call it a day. There are some other stuff but I've really narrowed down my lists over the years. Even Batman I'm down to like 5 figures total, and about 3 of them are hypothetical. I may not like the muties much now, but I'd be lying if said there's no nostalgia involved. There are some teams I'd love to assemble if the casting and costumes were on point.

In general, while this might seem a bit OCD-ish, it does help me to move on. Once I get this one good HT, I'm officially done and don't feel any "guilt" over abandoning something I cared for a lot back in the day. Nowadays the ones I'm willing to go all out of are a fairly small selection, and I think I've finally reached an equilibrium. Someone more logical would've simply abandoned it all as useless and without merit, but I can't do that so this is the next best thing.

Well if DC was smart which let?s be honest they are dumb as all hell. They?d release a static shock movie and icon movie. They have a slew of great characters and even the ever popular green lantern who is black. But nah.

Let?s do black Superman cause we are just very stupid. We just want to make Twitter buzz for awhile on how progressive we are but in the end they won?t see it. Just like fem ghostbusters .

DC has many iconic people of color in there roster.

Who is in charge of the idiots there? Cause nobody wants this. We want static shock

WB honestly is up against a wall because they have no choice but to use the name Superman for the black actor to embody because the brand name is known around the world and not some similar powered black hero from the comics people just know Superman end of story brand marketing 101.

WB doesn?t care if they are offending anybody white or black by making Superman black they simply have to use the name Superman end of story.

The controversy is only helping them with free advertising.

Poor WB they have no faith in their existing black superheros.

Marvel hit gold with BP and the ironic part is that the movie sucked that must really bug WB lol

I like Star Wars because of the space wizards fighting with swords. I like wizards, I like swords, I like space. Simple as.

But if that's all it is, then you should like Star Wars as much as Battle Beyond the Stars or Krull or any number of bad knock-offs. Do you like Battle Beyond the Stars that much?

Back