New Superman movie coming from JJ Abrams

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They don't seem to understand that that they need a good story to go along with the movie. They don't have faith in the brand so they want to make him black to cause a stir. But they are sitting on iconic black characters that can sell if the story is done right cuase the nostigia is already there and people want to see these movies be made. The world doesn't need a black superman but it does need pre existing black characters that have a history of being black and were made to be different from their white counterparts.

DC is so stupid they won't even make a movie of the actual black superman. Meanwhile Marvel is putting all there black characters into the spotlight and not changing the race of there well known characters. Maybe they'll do it for some but not all.

It's amazing that these guys seem to hate there characters so much that tehy will rather make the 500th batman reboot that a static shock film or Black green lantern movie.

They don't seem to understand that that they need a good story to go along with the movie. They don't have faith in the brand so they want to make him black to cause a stir. But they are sitting on iconic black characters that can sell if the story is done right cuase the nostigia is already there and people want to see these movies be made. The world doesn't need a black superman but it does need pre existing black characters that have a history of being black and were made to be different from their white counterparts.

DC is so stupid they won't even make a movie of the actual black superman. Meanwhile Marvel is putting all there black characters into the spotlight and not changing the race of there well known characters. Maybe they'll do it for some but not all.

It's amazing that these guys seem to hate there characters so much that tehy will rather make the 500th batman reboot that a static shock film or Black green lantern movie.

They have to use Batman and Superman because that's all people care about.

No one gives a **** about Vibe. :lol

]

Honestly, remove Batman, I and others would never care what DC does with anything.

DC is amazing at cartoons and video games. Alsp certain stories. The early 00s and 90s had amazing DC cartoons that the movie studio could easily use as a road map. They turned teen titans into a household name back in the early 00s back when no one knew who they were. Then of course they made them into kiddie cartoons and a decent dark show on hbo max.

The cartoon part of DC for whatever reason puts out diverse characters and stories and even made a solid universe that Zach snyder wish he could have done. There really is no excuse.

Again in a few years I won't be surprised if DC is under the disney umbrella

They have to use Batman and Superman because that's all people care about.

No one gives a **** about Vibe. :lol

]

Lol of course. he sucks. But Blue beetle is latino and they can easily use him and make huge bank. Diversity and being original. The money prints itself. But again. No faith in the brand.

Yes but still a very interesting character. Kinda like miles in a sense

But if that's all it is, then you should like Star Wars as much as Battle Beyond the Stars or Krull or any number of bad knock-offs. Do you like Battle Beyond the Stars that much?

Because like you said, they're bad knockoffs. They take a part of the whole and run with it. They don't have the multitude of sources to pull from that results in something original, built with genuine passion. What I meant by that comment is that aesthetics play a much bigger role in attacting people and also retaining them, than the "message". The themes in pop culture properties are usually superficial and without any actual ideas. In Star Wars' case they're overtly simplistic, and once you get down to the Jedi and the Sith, utterly moronic. But it persists because it has genuine aesthetics. The worldbuilding, the lore, the mix of all those genres. The entire universe has sturdy foundations and thus can keep your interest even if the actual story is largely unoriginal. When you get down to it, most things are "unoriginal". We have about 10 or so storylines and themes we cycle through. The point is how you deliver it. What you change, what you mix, what you end up with. In a movie the performances add to that. In a videogame the gameplay. In a comic the art. In a book the prose or poetry.

Take the 90s. The X-Men were the comic book kings, and due to that half of Image's catalog was filled with X-Men rip-offs. Something like WildC.A.T.S. did good enough to get both a cartoon and a videogame. But does anybody remember them? No, because they were just derivative. They were fun enough to be remembered as a relic of the 90s and later of the 00s with DC's WildStorm, but they'll never be anything more. Why? Because when you get down to it, apart from being ripoffs, they didn't have the aesthetics. The costumes were bland, the powers were bland, the characters were bland, and the worldbuilding was fine but nothing groundbreaking. Contrast that with the X-Men. It had great costumes, wildly varied powers, a cool hook, diverse characterization and was a mashup of many genres that came to create a pretty fun mini-universe. Also, it had the hottest women in comics. The X-Men had all of Claremont's hony, weird lore to fall back on. And we reach my point. Nowadays all you can talk about is "muh metaphor" but the X-Men didn't become a hit because of that. That existed merely to give the book an aura of "maturity", so teens could go "see?! this is grownup stuff". It gave it prestige and a leg up. But the X-Men became a huge hit because they delivered perfectly as entertainment. You had tons of characters to choose from. You could easily self-insert and feel part of the team. It was the original Harry Potter, so to speak. The Mansion/Hogwarts, the X-Gene/Magic-Gene, the whole "Xclusive Club" feeling of superiority. And more than that you had tons of extremelly wild stories to get into. The Avenges, the JLA, whatever else, those were just superheroes and crimefighters. They were fun but empty. X-Men gave you an X-Gene and took you along for adventures and soap operas. It wasn't just saving the world, it was saving the future of mankind and evolving into something more. At least before Morrison... The MCs weren't just corny superheroes, they were normal people turned into gods then turned into battle-hardened soldiers, fighting for kin and future. In superhero comics, that was different. It gave it another dimension. And it just plain old have a lot of original stuff. Like with Star Wars, it mixed tons of genres and became something with its own distinct style. But like with Star Wars, it wasn't the utterly silly "theme" that saved it. It was just the aesthetics and pure enjoyment they both provided. More boys kept reading because Rogue gave them a stiffy, than they did due to the Legacy Virus/AIDS analogy.

f51368097540cdcbbd9ee37b8e442b09.jpg

At least that's my take on it all, more or less. Mass Effect wasn't groundbreaking in its themes or story, but its aesthetics and gameplay propelled it forward. And that's why we still talk about it, whereas something like Star Trek Online I don't even know if it's still live. Apocalypse Now wasn't the first, nor only movie about War and its consequences, or Vietnam in general, but its aesthetic and general execution have certified it as one of the best films of all time. "War Is Hell" is a basic theme that's present in most pieces of relatively modern art. But Apocalypse Now delivered it in such a way, that it made it THE referencing point. Most people don't even know about Heart Of Darkness. In the end, most art doesn't need to mean anything but be "beautiful". "Beautiful" varies from genre to genre or medium to medium, but you get the point. At least that's how I see things.

I hope this movie never gets made or bombs hard at the box office. This is ridiculous why the **** would they do this, most of all on Henry Cavill's birthday. It's like the whole thing is ran by braindead inept morons (which it is). Had they said they were going to introduce a black superman, weather it had been Calvin Ellis or Val-Zod I wouldn't have cared, and just shrugged my shoulders. As long as they kept Henry as Superman and put them together later (they could have also set up Crisis on Infinite earths in the future if they wanted or even Darkseid wars) I would have been ok with it. But no they go and just **** us over, and try this woke ********. And not even that but we don't need a black Superman, we need original black characters like those that have been stated, John Stewart, or Steel. I think I'm so done with this that I'm walking away from comics and DC films altogether I'll keep what we have gotten as the golden age of comics and films. All this agenda politics have ruined the majority of cool, fun stuff most of us grew up on. WB the biggest ****in clowns of human history. Smh

Miles is another knockoff that leeches from the Spiderman name. No difference from black Superman, so in that case he could also be a very interesting character.

I didn?t like miles either but he grew on me when they gave him his own characters and story . The games and movie flesh out his character more do he?s not Peter Parker light

I hope this movie never gets made or bombs hard at the box office. This is ridiculous why the **** would they do this, most of all on Henry Cavill's birthday. It's like the whole thing is ran by braindead inept morons (which it is). Had they said they were going to introduce a black superman, weather it had been Calvin Ellis or Val-Zod I wouldn't have cared, and just shrugged my shoulders. As long as they kept Henry as Superman and put them together later (they could have also set up Crisis on Infinite earths in the future if they wanted or even Darkseid wars) I would have been ok with it. But no they go and just **** us over, and try this woke ********. And not even that but we don't need a black Superman, we need original black characters like those that have been stated, John Stewart, or Steel. I think I'm so done with this that I'm walking away from comics and DC films altogether I'll keep what we have gotten as the golden age of comics and films. All this agenda politics have ruined the majority of cool, fun stuff most of us grew up on. WB the biggest ****in clowns of human history. Smh

WB is clearly trying to emulate what the MCU did with Black Panther. MCU laid out a foundational blueprint for their
cinematic heroes and WB thought they could one up them by circumventing the world building and going straight
into the team up but it fell flat on its face. Now they're trying to do it again under the veil of pseudo wokeness by
announcing this. This type of offensive insincere pandering that's painfully transparent is only going to backfire
and it will be nice to behold. They've learned absolutely nothing.

A healthy share of pre-established black heroes that many have been clamoring for and this is their rebuttal to it?

Now they're trying to do it again under the veil of pseudo wokeness by
announcing this.

Yeah, I doubt WB are doing this for the sake of representation, they're just creatively bankrupt, which for me makes it even worse.

Man, the Fox Men really ****** up Rogue.
I have some nostalgia for the FoX-Men, but by and large they were dissapointing adaptations all around. The X-Men is a property that thrives on colour. I can accept the leather suits, but they needed to be more like the Ultimate ones than the bland stuff they went with. And even then, beyond the leather, the world they inhabit needs to be colourful and full of crazy, weird stuff hiding behind every corner. And lastly, all the people need to be hot. Which is something that I think we'll miss with the MCU as well. Between the racebends and the sticc women they cast, I doubt we'll get a good Rogue this time either.

Fox has always been cheap. Writers for the Simpsons really complained about that. Wait till the X-Men get Disney's budget, it is going to explode for a decade.
I hope it does. What I'm worried about is that the MCU will focus on the nonsensical metaphor and we'll still not get the actually good parts of the X-Men. I want to see hot demigoddesses/gods fighting the craziest demonic alien time-travellers. But I worry that we'll get less Savage Land & Shi'ar, and more FoX-Men 2.0: Electric Boogaloo.

That was one of the many reasons that kept the series so stagnant.
Looking back, it's astonishing how the line went on for close to two decades, yet produced such similar films throughout. It's kind of embarassing, really.

This too. The X-Verse is honestly so big that it could've easily been an MCU on its own. Fox had the X-Men and the F4. They really didn't need any MCU characters as the combined roster of those two was so huge they could do virtually anything. A gritty District X series along the lines of The Shield. Space Epics with the Shi'ar. The Starjammers as their own GotG. An R-Rated X-Force Trilogy. And so on and so forth. But Fox squandered it all.

I have some nostalgia for the FoX-Men, but by and large they were dissapointing adaptations all around. The X-Men is a property that thrives on colour. I can accept the leather suits, but they needed to be more like the Ultimate ones than the bland stuff they went with. And even then, beyond the leather, the world they inhabit needs to be colourful and full of crazy, weird stuff hiding behind every corner. And lastly, all the people need to be hot. Which is something that I think we'll miss with the MCU as well. Between the racebends and the sticc women they cast, I doubt we'll get a good Rogue this time either.

I hope it does. What I'm worried about is that the MCU will focus on the nonsensical metaphor and we'll still not get the actually good parts of the X-Men. I want to see hot demigoddesses/gods fighting the craziest demonic alien time-travellers. But I worry that we'll get less Savage Land & Shi'ar, and more FoX-Men 2.0: Electric Boogaloo.

Looking back, it's astonishing how the line went on for close to two decades, yet produced such similar films throughout. It's kind of embarassing, really.

This too. The X-Verse is honestly so big that it could've easily been an MCU on its own. Fox had the X-Men and the F4. They really didn't need any MCU characters as the combined roster of those two was so huge they could do virtually anything. A gritty District X series along the lines of The Shield. Space Epics with the Shi'ar. The Starjammers as their own GotG. An R-Rated X-Force Trilogy. And so on and so forth. But Fox squandered it all.

I think the MCU has a universe where all that stuff can fit in perfectly. The crazy, colorful, space stuff, and supernatural gods...etc, it all exist in the MCU in some shape or form. I think Doctor Strange 2, the multiverse, and Eternals will further expand that universe in ways that no other franchise can for whatever reason. Yes, the MCU films are by the numbers and most don't have much replay value, but they get a lot of stuff right.

On a very superficial level, I'd like better costumes in general. I've said it before, Dr. Strange needs fancy knee high boots, not those sneaker like boots with the wraps, no more monk like excessive layers and that ugly picnic blanket he wears as a cape. He needs to be more fancy magician meets Liberace, not a sneaker wearing monk. He needs to be Walter Mercado. <-- Jye knows who that is. :lol

The F4 better not have a bunch of lines on the suits like the awful spiderman costumes.

The X Men can go full tacticool if they want because they're a team, but they better be colorful. Wolverine in yellow and orange/brow. Cyclops in blue and yellow or gold/bronze. Give Magneto his white eyes when using his powers and make him a total fashion diva....that's why he wears a cape. Rogue has such a simple, yet cool costume.

Having said all that, the Eternals costumes look boring AF...so far, so who knows what will get from F4 and X Men.

I think the MCU has a universe where all that stuff can fit in perfectly. The crazy, colorful, space stuff, and supernatural gods...etc, it all exist in the MCU in some shape or form. I think Doctor Strange 2, the multiverse, and Eternals will further expand that universe in ways that no other franchise can for whatever reason. Yes, the MCU films are by the numbers and most don't have much replay value, but they get a lot of stuff right.
Theoretically it can all happen. The problem is that Post-Morrison the X-Men have become nothing but the nonsensical allegory, so we're less likely to get all that than District X.

On a very superficial level, I'd like better costumes in general. I've said it before, Dr. Strange needs fancy knee high boots, not those sneaker like boots with the wraps, no more monk like excessive layers and that ugly picnic blanket he wears as a cape. He needs to be more fancy magician meets Liberace, not a sneaker wearing monk. He needs to be Walter Mercado. <-- Jye knows who that is. :lol
Exactly. Strange is a Sorcerer. Why is he dressed like a cosplaying hipster from 2013 instead of an actual Mystic?

The F4 better not have a bunch of lines on the suits like the awful spiderman costumes.
We all know they're going to have lines upon lines. That's the MCU's thing. Lines.

The X Men can go full tacticool if they want because they're a team, but they better be colorful. Wolverine in yellow and orange/brow. Cyclops in blue and yellow or gold/bronze. Give Magneto his white eyes when using his powers and make him a total fashion diva....that's why he wears a cape. Rogue has such a simple, yet cool costume.
The X-Men can work with tacticool costumes, because at their core they do start of a sort of rogue PMC. The tights were explained as "LARPing as colourful superheroes to ease the people", but I personally would prefer an Ultimate approach as they begin. A uniformal look, but with differences between the members and different colours and accents. FoX-Men were just boring. No belts, no logos in red, nothing. As time progresses and they should get more outlandish costumes though. Unless they start off with Krakoa X-Men and they behave like (degenerate) Demigods high on their horse, then they need the outlandish costumes right ouf of the gate.

Rogue's got some pretty great costumes over the years, but you need to have her drain Carl Manvers in order to get her "classic" powerset and personality. Otherwise she'll be yet another FoX-Men/Evo Rogue. On paper it did make sense back in the day. The Goth/Emo look was in and the girl with the deadly touch fit the mold. And it was close to her original appearance. But people like Brick Rogue, and that's who we should get. I don't know, maybe it's possible. They no longer need Larson as they'll be getting all the high profile females back. Who'll care about Carl Manvers when you have Rogue, Jean, Storm, Psylocke, Frost, Sage and so on? And they can pass her mantle on Monica for extra woke points. Plus, we'd get rid of Larson. It's a win-win... I could deal with Goth Rogue, but only if we get proper Rogue later. I wouldn’t mind 2000s Anime Rogue.

55e3e6e21908799ea8d7f03aabd71411.jpg

Weird to think that it's been 2 full decades since then... Things used to be simpler. I miss that period of pop culture, tbqhwy.

Having said all that, the Eternals costumes look boring AF...so far, so who knows what will get from F4 and X Men.
I'm honestly preparing for the worst. Casting, costumes, stories. Granted, the Eternals are nobodies and people love the X-Men, so they'll get more attention. But the days of the early MCU are long gone. I fear that I won't even be able to get the dollies as they won't be faithfully translated from page to screen. I wish HT would just get to making comic book styled Mavel stuff, but it'll never happen. They'll keep milking Iron Man, now with extra stupid plastic bits! Maybe we'll get all the various Sentinels. And their repaints... I haven't liked the muties in close to a decade, but Hickman's run's making me do a return.

House-of-X-1-Magneto-Sunset.jpg

I can hardly bring myself to care for the characters anymore, but I'm interested in the core story. Which itself is pretty bloated, but I think it'll read better when only Hickman's issues are collected in their entirety. Honestly, I just don't care for the ever-present x-themes anymore, which I've always found rather illogical. I like maaaybe 10 characters all in all, and that's just going purely by aesthetics. I'll probably never buy an HT Wolverine, but a snazzy Magneto or Emma Frost would be sure locks. Still, I'm always game for Hickman and his type of Space Operas, the setting's cool and he's got some pretty great artists on board, so I'm genuinely enjoying the ride.

Back