NEW PREDATOR 1 MAQUETTE by Sideshow

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have noticed many things that have changed in recent years in regards to statues and general collectibles, and yes I agree with you, I have also gotten to the point where "Nothing surprises me these days" - one of the most concerning things I have noticed is certain pieces on statues seem to of recent times be made of plastic or pvc where in the past they would have always been made from polystone even when they were thin or fragile pieces. (this was always part of the beauty of a "high end collectible" in my opinion). - Advances should have been made in manufacturing and creating better, stronger packaging / boxes rather than manufacturing the products (statues) out of a less fragile (and cheaper) product like plastic or pvc.

I have some old school ssc statues in my collection that date back to 2006 and 2007 that have held up to the test of time and look like they were manufactured yesterday - I often wonder if some of these new statues containing large amounts of plastic or pvc will have problems in the future and will distort or break down. - Only time will tell.

I wish that ssc were the company that they once were.

Really nice Post man and very true to the point. SS was a fantastic company that had zero competition until now yet their standard dropped prices hiked and customer service just died. Shame really

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMG_1101.JPG

That would be the perfect alternate head, Jaws. I am starting to think Sideshow was going to make the bio removable, that’s why the lower mandibles are fused.

Just stand back for a second and realize you are being asked to use modeling clay to hold your new $1,250 statue together, and tell me if you think that's even remotely acceptable.

Crazy really...

That would be the perfect alternate head, Jaws. I am starting to think Sideshow was going to make the bio removable, that’s why the lower mandibles are fused.

Not likely, the P2 maquette originally had this set up (and still had decent mandibles) It was altered during production due to fears that the paint on the none masked head might be damaged. I doubt they would have intended to do it again on the next release after coming to that conclusion.

Jaws that was a great video with good info and really made me want this especially seeing the 2 together. Now I am totally on the fence haha since I have the SW P1 but this just looks great as the set. Even with the few issues this looks to have come out well overall.

I am curious has anyone with the wobble head issue try to heat up the dreds and then gently place it in place and allowing them to cool to see if it helps the head sit better?

Jaws that was a great video with good info and really made me want this especially seeing the 2 together. Now I am totally on the fence haha since I have the SW P1 but this just looks great as the set. Even with the few issues this looks to have come out well overall.

I am curious has anyone with the wobble head issue try to heat up the dreds and then gently place it in place and allowing them to cool to see if it helps the head sit better?
Is the reason why the heads wobble due to the dreads getting in the way of the magnet peg fitting all the way into the neck area?

Is the reason why the heads wobble due to the dreads getting in the way of the magnet peg fitting all the way into the neck area?

Ive seen it mentioned that the dreads seem to get in the way of the head sitting down. I have no clue tho since i dont own one.

Not so sure it’s aleays the dreads my masked face while not perfect doesn’t have that issue but the magnet is nowhere to be found. If it’s in there it’s backwards.

Really nice Post man and very true to the point. SS was a fantastic company that had zero competition until now yet their standard dropped prices hiked and customer service just died. Shame really

Thanks Kain, :hi5: I am always on the lookout for earlier ssc pieces, the quality is absolutely amazing.
I no longer purchase direct from ssc and for sometime now have only been purchasing through popcult, I got real tired of crappy customer service, paying overseas freight, import tax, hassles & costs involved in returning damaged stuff., etc.

In regards to my comments about cheaper materials being used, etc : - I watch a lot of reviews / unboxings, etc and one thing that I have been noticing is the lack of information on the things that really matter (like what materials are used) and a lot of focusing on things that can be worked out by simply looking at the product photos that the manufacturer offers. To try and explain what I mean, you will get 100 reviews / unboxings of a statue where all will tell you how great the paint is or the sculpt, these are things that can be seen by simply looking at the product photos, very rarely do I see a review or unboxing where the reviewer will explain what the different parts seem to be made of and if they are heavy or light, etc, (these are all things that matter as they are things that you would not be able to tell by looking at photos).

I don't do youtube reviews or unboxings, but I decided a while back that when I was going to be posting photos here and showing any new pieces that I receive to my fellow "fReAkS" that I would always mention / inform people if something feels cheap or does not seem right to me - I find it hard to understand why someone would not inform others of this info and would keep quiet about anything negative.

The last few pieces that I have received have all been earlier ssc and xm studios pieces, but currently I have a couple pre-orders hopefully coming in soon.....ish, :)

3 x Prime 1 third scale pieces and Tot. (When I post pics I will mention anything that does not seem right, fingers crossed there is only good news to report).

I don't do youtube reviews or unboxings, but I decided a while back that when I was going to be posting photos here and showing any new pieces that I receive to my fellow "fReAkS" that I would always mention / inform people if something feels cheap or does not seem right to me - I find it hard to understand why someone would not inform others of this info and would keep quiet about anything negative.

I think people watch the reviews because it gives a better idea of the piece that simple pics can't convey.

Also I think the "Does it feel cheap or light" is something that collectors don't think of unless there is a major issue.. The Predator is plenty heavy but I would never think to say something because its a none issue. On that note I also feel that if it looks good I am not too worried about how much it weighs.. I know some do but its not on my radar to talk about. I have only had one item that was really light and felt cheap to the touch and that was the Avengers Hulk maquette but I had bigger issues with the paint apps and the eye brow issues.

I have seen reviews were people are unhappy and talk about the things you mention such as the Wolf Predator bust. But most the time people are ordering something because it looks nice so that tend to be the focus.

There are three Predator reviews out there now and 2 of the three mention the Head fitting issues.

Are there other pieces that you have in mind with regards to what the reviewers were missing in terms of weight and quality??

Having said all this.. Radd Titan weighs all the statues they review. So you could watch them. Be warned. They mostly focus on how it looks but they are my fav reviewers.

Awesome set up Jaws! [and the screen shot of the Jungle Hunter Predator on the tv is really cool also]. :)
Overall, how happy are you with your Jungle Hunter Predator maquette?

Happy enough that I bought the Dutch PF to go along with him :)

Appearance wise I would give it a Solid 8 out of 10. It has presence and detail that just looks so freaking cool. It would be 10 out of 10 if the lower Mandibles were spread apart more and the Masked portrait was just a tad smaller and the thigh armor was placed in the right spot.

Production wise I would give it a 5 out of 10 only because of the Head fitting issue.. It would be a 10 out of 10 if the unmasked head fit as well as the masked one.

But I am happy with it for sure. If I did not already own the City Hunter I think I would have really been blown away but I knew what to expect size wise so the wow factor was diminished a little.

I agree with you Jaws, it definitely gives a better idea of the piece. I guess the perfect review / unbox would be a combination of everything including talking about the paint, sculpt, and also build quality and materials used.

A lot of collectors are similar to yourself where weight is not an important factor to them, i understand and appreciate this, however there are a few of us who value the weight of something and to me when a reviewer mentions information like this it is really appreciated.

A total weight of the piece such as rt do is always great, but what I am talking about is more like say if a "sword" that a character is holding is made of pvc and quite cheap when one would expect it to be made of metal or polystone. You know something like that.

I own the Pred 2 Maq, the same as you - an example would be his wrist blades.

I agree with you Jaws, it definitely gives a better idea of the piece. I guess the perfect review / unbox would be a combination of everything including talking about the paint, sculpt, and also build quality and materials used.

A lot of collectors are similar to yourself where weight is not an important factor to them, i understand and appreciate this, however there are a few of us who value the weight of something and to me when a reviewer mentions information like this it is really appreciated.

A total weight of the piece such as rt do is always great, but what I am talking about is more like say if a "sword" that a character is holding is made of pvc and quite cheap when one would expect it to be made of metal or polystone. You know something like that.

I own the Pred 2 Maq, the same as you - an example would be his wrist blades.

I get what you are saying.. I think I do this when I review items but I am not positive. I will keep it in mind on future reviews for sure.

Hey guys, I did a quick video rant about the way SS handled this issue, and also to show how bad the issue is. I understand there are others that are okay with this, but I am not.

Ian- Please post this on Statue Forum

Back