NEW PREDATOR 1 MAQUETTE by Sideshow

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I keep coming into this thread hoping to be 'convinced' to buy him because I desperately want a P1 quarter scale...but that thigh armor and unmasked portrait just glare at me. Also, where the hell is the spinal cord on the new maquette? :slap

You guys do know that the statue really was pretty light, right? They all are. They just inject heavier filler inside of these things to give them heft. Otherwise, collectors wouldn’t feel like they’re getting value. So silly.

Complete nonsense!
Light statues have a very thin wall/cast whereas heavy statues have thick walls/cast with some parts, arms & legs, being solid.

This has been clearly demonstrated by destroyed pieces over the years. Did you ever see a destroyed Black Panther? That cast was paper thin.

. . . Body mass seems about the same on both but larger head on new one takes some of that away . . .

Yarp - the bobble-head was the issue all along.

Thanks for the pics
thumb2.gif

Hey Jaws, can you post some pics of the new Jungle Hunter Predator from the front with the bio mask?[as the other pics have him from the side].Cheers!

Awesome, cannot wait for it to arrive. New one gets my vote, solid polystone 30+ pounds, perfect pose, better base, also looks thicker than the original, EX makes it look menacing and better companion piece for Dutch. No offense but the original has a silly pose, thanks for the pics I'm hyped!!

You guys do know that the statue really was pretty light, right? They all are. They just inject heavier filler inside of these things to give them heft. Otherwise, collectors wouldn’t feel like they’re getting value. So silly.
Like how you can drill a slot in the back of Thanos and fill him with your loose change like a piggy bank? That kind of filling with heavy material?
Or is there some other super secret process that Sideshow users to fill the rotocast statues?

One of the most pathetic things about this piece is that sideshow has the SWS maquette in their building which was laser scanned from life size original and they somehow manage to release this inaccurate piece of ****.

One of the most pathetic things about this piece is that sideshow has the SWS maquette in their building which was laser scanned from life size original and they somehow manage to release this inaccurate piece of ****.

Well to be fair.. With even having the ability to do a direct scan the SWS version is not without its accuracy issues..

The inner Teeth are all wrong. Especially the upper two as they are much too large and flair out far too wide. The brow is a tad too lumpy looking and the head seems bumpy in the wrong areas. Head also seems like it could be much wider around the crown. The paint apps also miss some key details and the color scheme is wrong in some areas... So even if they used this as a reference you are still not getting a perfectly accurate predator head sculpt. I am not saying that the SWS version is bad.. Just pointing out that even with a direct scan it still has its issues.

27540840_2041224952556170_8344915099927634350_n.jpgView attachment 391501

Some aspects of the new version are bit more film accurate but not many. The tubing that connects from the chest armor to the shoulder cannon... Its much too long on the original SWS version. It also looks like the coloring on the new version is a bit more film accurate also as the SWS version seems a bit too brown. And when I look at the very bottom photo I would say that the SWS version is too skinny also.

27654560_2041346592544006_8647540000029687980_n.jpg
predator-040.jpg
predator-056.jpg

My point in all of this is that those that own both seem to think the quality is there with this new piece and there seems to be some aspects that are a bit more accurate.
However as far as film accuracy goes... It has its glaring issues. I just don't know if I would throw "Inaccurate piece of ****" on it
:lol
IMO we have yet to see the perfect Predator 1987 statue.

Attachments

• predator-film-53f4000149dee.jpg
    predator-film-53f4000149dee.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
I would just love to sit down and talk to the Sculptor and know the mind process about the decisions made with this statue of why they did not include the spine trophy belt... why did they fuse the lower mandibles together and not have them separated... and the biggest question why did they not move the right leg thigh armor over to where it needs to be like everybody on every forum asked Sideshow to do.. there has to be reasoning behind this or maybe not

. . . And yes the new piece has its flaws but so does the SWS version.
IMO we have yet to see the perfect Predator 1987 statue.

I agree (for mass-produced prepaints anyways), but I'd give the SWS version 9 / 10, and the newbie maybe 4 / 10.

The problems on the new fella are WAY more serious.

Interesting you picking up on the brow - the SWS maquette and the SWS 1:1 bust are the same - and looked/looks fine to me :dunno

As for "PERFECT" Jungle Hunters - I'll give Narin's Encounter & stand-alone version a good 9.9 / 10 - but as always - YMMV :)

I would just love to sit down and talk to the Sculptor and know the mind process about the decisions made with this statue of why they did not include the spine trophy belt... why did they fuse the lower mandibles together and not have them separated... and the biggest question why did they not move the right leg thigh armor over to where it needs to be like everybody on every forum asked Sideshow to do.. there has to be reasoning behind this or maybe not

No question.. I would love to know also.. Of everything you mentioned though.. It would seem the Spine trophy belt was the easiest thing to fix.. Just include the darn thing :lol

Looking at Predator through some predator pics I found myself laughing at the fact that they put fused the Mandibles together.. Not just because the final outcome came out bad but because the darn things never come together like that.. This head sculpt IMO would be near perfect IMO had they separated the lower two mandibles..

The of course there is the Thigh armor.. So strange.. They knew far enough ahead that it was an issue yet stuck with it..

I can kinda get the choice with the Mandibles as one could say its an artistic expression. I mean maybe that's what he looks like under the helmet.. But the thigh armor is just flat out a head scratcher...

Yep I would love to know also.

Having said that... Those pics from facebook I posted have me all excited again.. I am even thinking about picking up the Dutch PF now.. Never got him because I did not have a P1 piece as well as the fact that I already have the Conan and T1 PFs in my collection and was not sure if I wanted another Arnie taking up space. Hmmmm decisions decisions...

This has all been repeatedly covered before - but for those that missed it (it's a LONG thread now!
icon_eek.gif
) . . .

I would just love to sit down and talk to the Sculptor and know the mind process about the decisions made with this statue of why they did not include the spine trophy belt... why did they fuse the lower mandibles together and not have them separated . . .

Bad art direction. It's that simple.

. . . and the biggest question why did they not move the right leg thigh armor over to where it needs to be like everybody on every forum asked Sideshow to do.. there has to be reasoning behind this or maybe not

The thigh armour was originally in the CORRECT position. It was moved, and I was told it was "to fit in with the cut & sew elements". They didn't listen when we pointed out to them they had got it wrong.

I agree (for mass-produced prepaints anyways), but I'd give the SWS version 9 / 10, and the newbie maybe 4 / 10.
The problems on the new fella are WAY more serious.

Wow a 4 out of 10.. I guess the pose and paint apps are just a big seller on this for me. Now I am not saying that I wont change my mind when I have it in hand.. I am really curious to see how the "bobble head" issue looks in hand.. Owners of this don't seem to think its an issue and I have seen pics where it does not look like an issue at all but I will find out this Tuesday.

Just from pics I would say this is a 7.5 out of 10. If the Masked head looks good in person and has no bobble headed look then I can see this being an 8.5 easily with the thigh armor and lack of spine trophy being my two main issues...

I would give the SWS version a 7 out of 10... But that is all because of the pose. I am not a fan of the unmasked head sculpt because I have never been a fan of the full opened mouth look on statues.. He really needs to be in that iconic pose if his mouth is going to be fully open. Otherwise it looks a bit unnatural. My personal fav head sculpt is the 1/4 neca closed mouth version.. Love how the one Mandible is snarling
:)

There also something off too me about he helmet version.. BUT I have not seen it in parson and it could be just the camera playing tricks on the overall shape..

But it all comes back to that pose.. Just does not hit me where it needs to..

Interesting you picking up on the brow - the SWS maquette and the SWS 1:1 bust are the same - and looked/looks fine to me

When I watch the movie or look at stills from the film it does not look so overly lumpy.. But I have seen some behind the scene shots that show off the lumpiness of the brow more.. I guess I like the way it seems to appear in the film better.

But man spike.. a 4 out of 10?? I just can't look at those comparison pics and see a 5 point difference..

But then again if someone put out a JAWS maquette and go the dorsal fin wrong, made the body a tad too thin and messed up the jowls I would always be hard on it also.. No matter how nice the paint apps or pose might be.

Last edited:
Back