NEW PREDATOR 1 MAQUETTE by Sideshow

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, THAT'S just him being a silly-billy - I'm telling his Mum on him :)

Lol Why? He meant from a quality point of view. He said he didn't see a major difference as far as quality goes between the 2 and was surprised by this. Obviously the inaccuracies are still there in the new one, but said the quality was similar.

Anyway, I actually just finished watching Burtial's review and I actually like it. It looks pretty cool. My only real complaint is the fused mandibles. It's the first time I've seen them up close like that and they really do look crap. If it really bothers me in person, I may look at getting it customised and have the mandibles separated.

It's a shame sideshow went through all the effort to make this and they couldn't get the armor on it's right leg where it should be, as the armor on the left leg is perfect, where it should be, and yet, they messed up the right leg armor...:slap

Lol Why? He meant from a quality point of view. He said he didn't see a major difference as far as quality goes between the 2 and was surprised by this. Obviously the inaccuracies are still there in the new one, but said the quality was similar . . .

Everything about the SWS maquette is ultra-high quality.

On the NEW one, if we're ignoring the sculpt (to avoid the inaccuracies), all we're left with is the paint and the assembly.

Having seen Sideshow's own in-hand photos & vid, PLUS the stuff buyers have shared so far, you can see the lower quality of the paintwork.

Having seen Jason's head fall off (the statue's, not his OWN head - us metalheads have tough necks!), you can see the assembly / QC is dodgy.

You could reason that it looks different in-hand, as Mr. Facebook has, but given Sideshow's track history of QC & paint over the last 5+ years on their Predator releases, I'd have real difficulty swallowing that it's anywhere near the quality of the SWS maquette.

If you own the original SWS one, please do let us know how you think they compare when your new guy turns up.

I'll admit I'm (genuinely) surprised that anyone who owns the SWS release would buy this though.

Everything about the SWS maquette is ultra-high quality.

On the NEW one, if we're ignoring the sculpt (to avoid the inaccuracies), all we're left with is the paint and the assembly.

Having seen Sideshow's own in-hand photos & vid, PLUS the stuff buyers have shared so far, you can see the lower quality of the paintwork.

Having seen Jason's head fall off (the statue's, not his OWN head - us metalheads have tough necks!), you can see the assembly / QC is dodgy.

You could reason that it looks different in-hand, as Mr. Facebook has, but given Sideshow's track history of QC & paint over the last 5+ years on their Predator releases, I'd have real difficulty swallowing that it's anywhere near the quality of the SWS maquette.

If you own the original SWS one, please do let us know how you think they compare when your new guy turns up.

I'll admit I'm (genuinely) surprised that anyone who owns the SWS release would buy this though.

As I said, it's only someone else's word, not mine, but given he has both I see no bias and not sure why he would say that if he didn't believe it. I guess everyone has their own opinion and given that quality can vary between pieces, maybe his one is good...who knows.

Unfortunately I don't own the original Maquette to compare, but I have seen it in person at another collectors house. It's certainly very nice indeed, And I think that collector is also getting this maquette as well so I can ask him what he thinks when he gets it.

I'd still buy this even if I owned the original Maquette. I would display the original unmasked and new one with mask :)

It's certainly very nice indeed

It is... until you realized you paid 2.5K US$ for a maquette that comes with NO masked portrait at all (or you could pay even more for EX version, just for the head!). Not to mention it has such weird pose, which looks as bizarre as the new maquette to begin with.

Sideshow bring back 80s nostalgia with their new Rocky Dennis statue.
A good yet sad movie and story.
pixlr_20180203004205520.jpg

What's killing it for me most of all (besides the price) is the issue of the heads just falling off. I mean, REALLY? WTF?!?! I can rig it where is stays well, but I mean come on...

If it makes you feel better, when I received my second (replacement) P2 maquette, the unmasked head didn't connect at all due to the way they had glued the dreads on in the wrong position. I had to reposition a few to just get it on anything close to flush (on a $1200 maquette!) Ultimately, the people making these do no care, I imagine they are over worked and under paid but it seems they often don't even test fit these things which obviously causes many issues. Sorry you're not happy with this, it never was going to set the Predator world alight given it's inaccuracies, but we all hoped the quality would at least be there for those who gave it a chance. Send it back in the knowledge that there will always be another Predator statue, and there's a few not so far away that will hopefully blow our socks off.

Seeing XM announced their whatever-dator-that-be/ Broken Tusk for Prime1 as their first, I agree. The Predator from 1987 movie is "the one" collectors really want and look forward to. So why hurry? At best, Prime1 may announce classic Predator from vintage AVP comic as their first IMO.

Prime 1's first tease was the P2 which has me very excited, you can safely bet they'll be making a P1 also among others.

https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/.../180235-predator-2-city-hunter-prime-1-a.html

Burtial: If the loose portrait is the only thing you're not happy with, you seemed satisfied until you noticed that, it's a simple fix that should cost less than a $ and take 2 seconds to complete.

Order the thinnest Neodymium Magnet you can find and place it between the contact points.

I have to say that for the price I am pretty disappointed. It is just okay. There are some bad paint fails, and some things here and there, but the biggest problem is that the head will easliy just FALL OFF. It doesn't sit in the recess well, and a slight bump to the back of the head will cause it to just fall out. I discovered this at the end of my video. It's not the best review ever, but the wife had me rushing to finish up with it. Please check out the video, and pass it along to whatever other places may be interested...I may be returning this guy.

Nice and honest review! Thanks for sharing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The loose head thing is bad. Wonder if they all have that problem. The original SWS version has a metal pin I wasn’t originally a fan of because of the messing around with the angle it can sometimes take to insert properly but it does feel secure once it’s on there.

The loose head thing is bad. Wonder if they all have that problem. The original SWS version has a metal pin I wasn’t originally a fan of because of the messing around with the angle it can sometimes take to insert properly but it does feel secure once it’s on there.
The loose head might only be a problem if you try touching the head, if you leave it, it should be fine...

Back