New Ghostbusters Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
im refering to the egon head, i already decided on spensers ray. iwanted to know what ppls opinions are on the two egons.

and elvis, i sent ya a PM mate

QUOTE=karamazov80;2093030]They both look very good. In my opinion, Vartal's better captur
e's the facial likeness to Ray, but he is a bit chubbier than he appeared in GB 1, and he has a large forehead and the hair is not very "poofy," reflecting more of a cross between Ghostbusters 2 Ray and the Ghostbusters: the Video Game Ray than GB1 Ray, IMO. Spenser's has the correct hair from Ghostbusters 1, and seems to reflect Ray as he is walking down the hall, right before he sees Slimer (he looks a bit bored or tired). Personally, I don't think the facial likeness is as good as Vartal's. However, as has been pointed out, these are both custom heads, and are both better than anything 99% of the rest of us could come up with. As such, I hope that neither sculptor takes any offense to my comments.[/QUOTE]

Teaser picture of my almost done "Hot toys" Ray. He still has the patches from mattels toy and the leg hose. However he now has a new black undershirt, spencers head (painted by me), real leather boots, new custom colored dragon flight suit, and a hot toys true type body.
100_3909.jpg

Mattels figure was such a great place to start! I'm so glad I picked this figure up, even though I'm really only using the proton pack haha. Sorry for the harsh lighting but Ill get some better photos soon of the head.

Astro, your Ray is REALLY coming together...Looking AWESOME so far man...can't wait to see more! :rock

Here's my Ray WIP.

Head by SPencer painted by me.
Goggles by Dragon
Flightsuit by Hot Toys (dye)
webbelt by Dragon
Custom belt hook and belt gizmo
Gloves by Hot Toys (repainted)

IMG_4628.jpg

Here's some better pics of Ray

IMG_4680.jpg

IMG_4678.jpg

Another WINNER Elvis! Love that Ray has a 'smoke' too! I might just have to do that with mine. I have 4 of those exact flight-suit's you're using as well...one for each GB! I also have Spenser's set of 4 heads going to small_studios for the paint-up. Can't wait! :rock

P.S., love the Dragon web-belt and HT gloves. Did the web-belt come white, or did you re-color it?

i see either some kevin spacey or an older very grumpy akkroyd. maybe its the nose idk.

Another WINNER Elvis! Love that Ray has a 'smoke' too! I might just have to do that with mine. I have 4 of those exact flight-suit's you're using as well...one for each GB! I also have Spenser's set of 4 heads going to small_studios for the paint-up. Can't wait! :rock

P.S., love the Dragon web-belt and HT gloves. Did the web-belt come white, or did you re-color it?

Thanks man!
Actually the colour of the belt was right in the first way.
I didn't touch it.

Thanks man!
Actually the colour of the belt was right in the first way.
I didn't touch it.

Cool man, you wouldn't happen to know exactly which belt it is from which Dragon figure would you? I really want to replace the rubber belt that came with the Mattel figure with a quality cloth one.

Thanks!

:duff

P.S., did you cut the GB logo and 'STANTZ' nametag off of the Mattel suit? Or are they home-made?

Wow! I think the flightsuit actually turned out pretty good on him. The cigarette is aces though, such a cool touch.
icon14.gif

Thats the jumpsuit I was trying to find but couldn't (atleast for an affordable price that is haha) Great work! Are you going to make the belt a lighter gray color? Nice touch with the gun hook on the belt too. I'm trying to figure out a good way to make the gun hose less stiff so the hook wont be totally useless.

Also, Im using that same set of NVGs from dragon. I would HIGHLY suggest them for a replacement over mattels. They are really detailed and the foam padding on the frame wont scratch custom paint jobs!

Last edited:
i just cant see akkroyd in there.

I don't really see Aykroyd in it either.

I see this a lot with customs: often times a customizer will pull off a sculpt and/or paint job far more detailed than any mass-produced product ever could but they just don't get it right.

For my money the Mattel figure looks just like Aykroyd, done in a shiny and soft Mattel mass-produced style lacking in any real detail. It's like the cartoon equivalent of an action figure.

This custom, on the other hand, almost looks like a real person shrunk down to 12", the skin tone, the level of detail, everything is pretty remarkable in and of itself, it just doesn't look like Ray/Aykroyd. The zipper is the only real "tell" in regards to the scale and if not for that I might even buy that it was a person cosplaying but not Dan Aykroyd in full Ray Stantz costume.

I give it an A for effort and I know I could never do it myself but even with the huge difference in presentation there's no doubt in my mind that you could poll a bunch of people on the street and more people would recognize the Mattel likeness. I know a lot of people here are biased against Mattel's efforts and they certainly didn't release a Hot Toys-quality figure by any stretch but as far as I'm concerned they released a figure that looks like the character and actor, albeit in toy form.

Is it really, absolutely and positively necessary to throw Mattel's body and change it??? I ask because my F.. Ray hasn't show up yet and i don't know.

Thanks!

Is it really, absolutely and positively necessary to throw Mattel's body and change it??? I ask because my F.. Ray hasn't show up yet and i don't know.

Thanks!

Well, the problem is that Mattel's body is oversized, it's more like a 13" Ray, so IMO that sucks... Boots are huge, hands are huge, and I think the suit looks better on a TT...

You can get the Mattel figure, Spenser's painted heads and a few True-types and you're good to go!

Thanks man! Eventually I will. I'm just in awe how they painted the head, dyed the suits, and built the figure step-by-step and it looks awesome. I gotta save up too, got a lot of other things coming in. But thanks though, I'll have em on my display one day! :chew

The outfit does look better on a TT. Also the body is very awkward. It's got all the joints you think you would need except for a very good neck joint, but it doesn't take very natural poses.

That custom is awesome and the paint work is fantastic, but that's Ray after years of a very hard life.

Back