New Doctor Who 1:6 from Big Chief Studios!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: New Doctor Who 1:6 and 1:4 from Big Chief Studios!

To have second shot at a Tom figure and have it get cancelled again would be the biggest bummer ever as far as collecting goes, especially as good as the BC prototype looked. Lengthen the scarf, darken the coat and that figure is solid gold. I actually think it would be smarter of them to release it before the 10th Doctor as we've already had our new series itch scratched and a quality 1/6 Tom (or any 1/6 Tom for that matter) has been wanted by many Who fans for so long now. I imagine it would generate a ton of buzz for BC.

The last 'official' announcement was that e'd get news of Amy and the 10th Doc up for PO in Dec.
Well, all we got for Amy was it'll be released MAYBE in Feb, or March!!! The PO has not yet seen the light of day, tho are a few days left. So far this range has consisted of one figure!!!

As we can see with how brutal "fans" in the 1/6 community can be - it only makes sense for BC to take their time to get everything right. With forums latching onto every little photo, the wrong information can get out there and ruin a proper reveal.

It's very rare that a company can become wildly successful in this niche business and the only 2 I can think of (SSC, HT) have had multi-year learning curves to get it right with many stumbles along the way. You don't get into 1/6 manufacturing to become a millionaire, you do it for the love of the hobby.

It's very rare that a company can become wildly successful in this niche business and the only 2 I can think of (SSC, HT) have had multi-year learning curves to get it right with many stumbles along the way. You don't get into 1/6 manufacturing to become a millionaire, you do it for the love of the hobby.

I don't argue your sentiment, but I'd argue you that Sideshow has 'gotten it right', in regard to sixth scale.

They've been wildly successful sure, but I think that has more to do with business savvy than doing sixth scale right. They've been leveraging their distribution to make up for slowing sales across the board. Two things have just nailed sixth scale's balls to the wall,

A) the economy, duh! but also

b) Hot Toys.

They exploded onto the scene and then within 2-3 years everyone is expecting "Hot Toys quality" for everything.

No one is willing to buy anything less than Hot Toys quality. It's a very scary time. . . everybody wants to see all this licensed product produced, but they're not willing to have it produced by anyone other than Hot Toys.

Had Hot Toys done Doctor Who they would've sold a few thousand pieces, but with Big Chief having done it, from what I'm seeing, they're struggling to sell a few hundred. And a good portion of that is due to Sideshow's distribution, Sideshow picking up HT was a huge coup. Had Sideshow picked up Big Chief, it would've been interesting to watch.

But having said all that, I don't fault Sideshow for minimizing their efforts in sixth scale. I'm sure they saw the writing on the wall with rising costs and slowing sales. Whoever is running that company knows what they're doing. . . despite what the forum-goers believe.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled Doctor Who discussion. . .

I'm feeling negative tonight so I'm going to predict the only figures we get will be Amy and 10. Big Chief will find it impossible to continue and they'll fold. I do however want to make it very clear, I hope I'm dead wrong and they produce a ton of figures and reap the financial reward.

I hate to say it, and I know there are people in this thread looking forward to her, but I think Amy could end up being the Achilles heel of this line.

Agreed. Amy is a money pit. Even when they get it right (which I know they will) - Interest in Amy will have waned. The new companion will be in, and it'll be Amy? Who is Amy?
However, it is looking increasingly likely that any new product is way off in the distance.

This thread is depressing me, even though I'm reading it on my iPad, lying on a lounger on one of the most beautiful beaches in the Caribbean. :gah:

This thread is depressing me, even though I'm reading it on my iPad, lying on a lounger on one of the most beautiful beaches in the Caribbean. :gah:
The least you could do for us poor bastards is post a pic or two. :yess:

Sounds like they just need to skip the NuWho stuff and put number four out.

Why did this thread suddenly become a wake? I think Darklord Dave got it spot on, they need time and patience to grow.

The only thing I'd add to that is BC need to get more ruthless about the product. Cancel Amy, stick up 4 for preorder and rush out a 1/6 Genesis Dalek. If they need revenue in the meantime, they should sell some of the 11 bodies, they are great.

Yeah, CANCEL AMY. You might disappoint half a dozen people on here but if you don't that figure will take you down.

I am keeping my Amy order. I want this line to succeed.

I am keeping my Amy order. I want this line to succeed.

Though I would still like the idea of an Amy figure to go with Matt Smith's 11th, I sadly think that the window of opportunity for her successful release had opened but is now, sadly, totally and fully shut. At this point (with the character off the screen permanently now and with any further new seasons/specials pushing the memory of her further and further away) I would be happy to transfer the deposit I paid for her onto the 10 or the 4.

As much as I would like to say "Yes, stick to your guns and get her out early next year" I think that this is now a mistaken stance to adopt. Any enthusiasm and momentum there was for the figure must now surely be lost due to the reasons I mentioned above. As much as it would damage the company finances, they should take the hit and really drop the Amy figure for the time being. To resurrect it again down the line would not be impossible.

The idea of selling the male 11 bodies and the expansion packs could be a great way to generate revenue in the interim. The body is very good and the Doctor is capable of having more than one look...my personal favourite being the long dark green coat ensemble.

DLD mentioned giving them time to grow, and this is a fair comment. But where do you start drawing lines? The two most vocal defenders of BCS on here have been Cap Britain and myself and we have given them, and continue to give them I should add, nothing but time, yes even to the point of being labelled as 'sycophants' and 'apologists' and I am not speaking for him, but what I do know is that this is a disheartening situation to be facing, with no real movement forward, in a month where we are supposed to get a PO for another Doctor and just twelve days signal the arrival of a new year.

Well, I am at least still looking forward to an Amy figure, but I agree that the delays have crossed the line from disappointing to troubling. At this point one has to wonder if BC will actually manage to get a second figure made.

I hope they do. I really do.

Last edited:

I hear you, DGTWoodward. Very good post, and it's becoming more and more clear that BC need a business angel of some kind to sharpen their business focus and maybe provide investment.

We're on page 478 of this thread and we have only one figure, weird!

Amy gets here when it gets here. 10 and 4 get announced for pre-order when it's time to do so. I ain't losing sleep over it.

Some of you need to settle down, acting like you own stock in the company or something.

They've got some amazing Doctor Who and Sherlock prints for sale. I ordered a couple, you should too. It'd do a lot more good than all the impatient negativity they have to read after they've spent day after day busting their humps to get their figures out.

just because a companion has passed on doesn't mean people don't care about them anymore.

I still want a Rose Tyler figure way more than any "new" companion.

can't wait for 10. ALL MY LOVE>>>>

and dude in the caribbean, get off your ipad and into the ocean, my friend! XOXO

I can guarantee that we will see some thing soon as UK Toyfair and Spring Gift Fair are early next year and of course US Toyfair. They will have to have things to show there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back