New Detolf Price (Canada)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JEDI JF

Freakzoid
Reaction score
It might be interesing for fellow Canadians to see that the Detolf has a new price in Canada. Instead of $80 it is now $60. This price is for the 3 models (brown-black, beech and white). I bought mine a few days ago so I got the price adjusted.

I was really surprised to see that it is cheaper than the US price and if you factor in the conversion rate, $60 Cnd is $55 US. Maybe a US price drop is coming soon.

Is this a clearance price for older Detolf stock? The newer Detolf for a time was only available in black-brown.

Just checked the site and it looks like it's both. :) White marked as new lower price, and Black-brown and beech marked with a clearance style yellow banner. Though that doesn't mean they're clearing them out because Harlig was first listed that way years ago and is still available.

The new IKEA catalog just came in, I wonder what it will say for Detolf. Nice to see three colors available again in any case.

This is great timing as I have to pick up an additional Detolf for prototype and fitting work for the new lighting and shelf systems I'm offering.

Picked up the new Detolf on Friday and did some measurements today.

Shelves on both old and new are nominal 4mm (3.91-3.92mm)
Doors on both old and new are a nominal 5mm (4.76-4.85mm)
Sides on old are a nominal 5mm (4.75mm) and on the new a nominal 4mm (3.93mm)

Metal ladder rails on old are 6.09mm and on the new 5.77mm

IKEA seems to have moved to different suppliers for the parts in their new Detolf. I don't have any details for country of origin of the old, but the new ones are made in China.

As I'd already built it, I didn't get to measure the back panels, but I expect them to be the same thickness as the sides. Overall the near 1mm reduction on three sides, plus the reduction in steel can account for some decent bill of material and shipping savings especially when you combine it with streamlining other parts (feet and hole-plugs are now the same across all color variations). Overall, in terms of robustness and build quality, the new model is close enough to the old with the most significant difference being a little more propensity for side to side sway. I think it's a good trade-off for a $20 savings (in Canada: $80 old, $60 new).

I strongly recommend that the top of the Detolf absolutely always be anchored to a wall without exception. If you plan to put the Detolf on top of another cabinet to raise it off the ground (highly recommended) then the bottom cabinet should also always be attached to the wall and the bottom of the Detolf attached to that cabinet/stand.

Last edited:
I strongly recommend that the top of the Detolf absolutely always be anchored to a wall without exception.

the dozens of Detolfs I've seen in peoples collections were never anchored to a wall, and they're all still standing (some of them have for years and years). Why the emphasis?

the dozens of Detolfs I've seen in peoples collections were never anchored to a wall, and they're all still standing (some of them have for years and years). Why the emphasis?

It's not just about knocking over a Detolf - the cabinets are inherently unstable because of their metal rail construction. Very easy to sway, which means very easy to knock over items inside them. Of course not everyone has kids, not everyone poses figures without stands, etc. YMMV. But IKEA supply an anchor for a reason. ;)

Back