New Custom SALLAH Project

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Considering the minimal clothing elements needed for Sallah, and that this vest works so well, you could probably pay a bit more than usual and feel OK.

$20 for the entire fig is pretty darn good, but I'd have paid $10 just for the vest alone in a heartbeat. I'll probably be paying more than that for a shovel and boots.

10 bucks plus 10 shipping right?

Yep!!!

I'm not so smart! I paid $10 shipped for just the vest! I could've thrown old Rhett to my six year-old as a potential suitor for Cinderella! ;)

I want to use Josh as well. He said he's taking orders at the beginning of October.

Haha it is all good. Yea that is what Josh told me.

Did little work on Sallah this morning.

Need to sew the skirt to the shirt but with the sash in place I'm thinking it will be hard to tell that there's two pieces here.
df01a98e.jpg

Sash, same material, as the skirt but washed with burnt siena. Looks about right.
f1635570.jpg

Shovel was easy. Cut the head off a military shovel and added a six inch portion of wooden dowel. Weathered it and viola!
e343fe44.jpg

I found an old Greedo Hasbro vest in my parts bin. I gave it a bleach bath. Plan to give it an off white paint wash after that and add some material for the stripes. We'll see how that goes as I'm not 100%, or even 50% convinced that it will turn out right. The GWTW vest look good Wor Gar!

That looks terriffic, Flosi!!! I think you nailed the sash color too!

Got to paint washing my vest today. Wanted to get rid of the silky tan back and make it more flat white. Also washed the stripe area a little just to lighten it a hair.

BEFORE -------------------------------------- AFTER

Sallahvestpaintedcomp1.jpg

Here's in progress to see how:

Sallahvestpainted.jpg

Not much to look at but once over the tan robe the difference will show much greater. And the added stiffnes will make wrinkling it easier and it will hold shape.

That looks like it's going to work really well!

I'm just playing by myself in here :lol

OK, here's what I got so far:

Sallahoutfittest.jpg

Here's a quick photoshop of what it will look like once dyed:

SallahPStest.jpg

There's problems of course: collar's wrong, sleeves too wide, drapes too far down, etc... but I can fix the sleeves and length. The collar? Well, that might be an issue with accuracy. I may remove the entire stitched collar and try to recut to the proper shape. Not sure yet how to tackle it.

FLOSI -- what shovel is that you used?

https://www.toyanxiety.com/davidmerrillshovel.aspx

Chopped off the head, took 6" worth of dowel (measured a shovel in my garage and the handle is 3'). Rounded down the end with sandpaper then shaved off a bit from the other end so it looked slightly more narrow then the shovel head. Took the dowel to the dirt and rolled it a bit, which was easier and faster then trying to weather it with paint. Drilled holes in the handle and head, pinned and glued them together... Might make another just for the hell of it. Could look good with one of my Indys.

Last edited:
I'm just playing by myself in here :lol

OK, here's what I got so far:

Sallahoutfittest.jpg

Here's a quick photoshop of what it will look like once dyed:

SallahPStest.jpg

There's problems of course: collar's wrong, sleeves too wide, drapes too far down, etc... but I can fix the sleeves and length. The collar? Well, that might be an issue with accuracy. I may remove the entire stitched collar and try to recut to the proper shape. Not sure yet how to tackle it.

Looking great! I need to pick up a Rhett and the head, probably later this week, then I'm good to go. So what body are you using? I like the way the tummy area sort of hangs a little.

Wor Gar,

This is the shovel I used.

https://www.monkeydepot.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=DL0497-XE066

The handle slides right out. I used a dowel which I stained and rounded the top with sandpaper. It looks great! Just like Flosi's!

Good call. That's the one I was looking at. Metal spade is cool.

https://www.toyanxiety.com/davidmerrillshovel.aspx

Chopped off the head, took 6" worth of dowel (measured a shovel in my garage and the handle is 3'). Rounded down the end with sandpaper then shaved off a bit from the other end so it looked slightly more narrow then the shovel head. Took the dowel to the dirt and rolled it a bit, which was easier and faster then trying to weather it with paint. Drilled holes in the handle and head, pinned and glued them together... Might make another just for the hell of it. Could look good with one of my Indys.

That one is plastic though, right? I'm limited in my tools (no dremmel, etc) so I think I'll go with a head that can slide out.

Looking great! I need to pick up a Rhett and the head, probably later this week, then I'm good to go. So what body are you using? I like the way the tummy area sort of hangs a little.

Thanks!

I haven't chosen the body yet, just using a Dragon temporarily as I build. I have a couple Dragon's on hand, might be too short, but I might go with it in the end depending on how the hands look -- my only gripe with Dragon are the little hands.

I padded the tummy with some paper towel to just get his body shape right. Those pics are thrown together, no futz, just to get an idea of how it's shaping up and what I need to do dye/color-wise.

That one is plastic though, right? I'm limited in my tools (no dremmel, etc) so I think I'll go with a head that can slide out.

Thanks!

I haven't chosen the body yet, just using a Dragon temporarily as I build. I have a couple Dragon's on hand, might be too short, but I might go with it in the end depending on how the hands look -- my only gripe with Dragon are the little hands.

I padded the tummy with some paper towel to just get his body shape right. Those pics are thrown together, no futz, just to get an idea of how it's shaping up and what I need to do dye/color-wise.

Yeah, it's plastic. Really happy with it though. It was so damn simple I started wondering why I didn't throw one together before. :dunno

I have mine on a short buck right now. Not sure if I'll keep it on there or not. I really need to pop ROTLA in and see how Sallah looks in comparison to Indy, etc.

I have mine on a short buck right now. Not sure if I'll keep it on there or not. I really need to pop ROTLA in and see how Sallah looks in comparison to Indy, etc.

He's about the same height as Indy. Looks bigger because he's stout. Not fat, stout.

Any short Buck or Dragon will do. It's a simple bash, I'm not going to go crazy with an expensive body.

The only consideration will be if I change my Indy out from the Pro body onto a Soldier Story body for the sculpted neck + chest. I've been considering that swap, and I don't know if the Soldier Story body is taller in respect to the Pro. Right now, I'm building Sallah to be in line with a Pro Sideshow Indy.

He's about the same height as Indy. Looks bigger because he's stout. Not fat, stout.

Any short Buck or Dragon will do. It's a simple bash, I'm not going to go crazy with an expensive body.

The only consideration will be if I change my Indy out from the Pro body onto a Soldier Story body for the sculpted neck + chest. I've been considering that swap, and I don't know if the Soldier Story body is taller in respect to the Pro. Right now, I'm building Sallah to be in line with a Pro Sideshow Indy.

Yeah, Sallah in ROTLA is big, but not fat. LC Sallah, on the other hand, is pretty plump.

I have all of my Indys on TTs right now, so a short buck might be too short... Like you said though, I'm keeping him on a simple body... TTs are getting too expensive to use on every bash I do, especially a character like Sallah who will never see a dynamic pose.

I am probably gonna be using a TT initially cause I have a spare one. I might have to take a swing by the fabric store to find some good fabric for the bottom as I am not having much luck getting obi robes yet.

I am probably gonna be using a TT initially cause I have a spare one. I might have to take a swing by the fabric store to find some good fabric for the bottom as I am not having much luck getting obi robes yet.

LMK if you need some Tyler... I think I have more than enough to send you some, assuming you're using the same shirt I am.

Back