New Custom SALLAH Project

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got a Sideshow Old Ben Kenobi tunic robe and sash. It's not the cut I want (has the typical robe slit) but it is the right material, color and length, etc. I may be able to rework the collar somewhat and perhap stitch the opening closed in a way that doesn't show so much.

We'll see when I get it. But if it works, then I have my outfit AND sash. Just need the boots and shovel now.... oh, and sculpt.

Vest I may have a solution for... I need to dig for what I'm thinking of to see if it works. News on that tomorrow.

Just placed a little TA order. Found these pants for under the gown portion of the shirt:

https://www.toyanxiety.com/sinbadthesailor-pants.aspx

Also picked up a shirt, shovel and che fat pad for the belly.

I might go TT at this point, just because I have a couple laying around, but Buck or Pro could be fine too. Salah really isn't that fat in ROTLA, at least when compared to LC.

Last edited:
Gotta get this head today!

This project is coming together really fast. Glad it's so simple. What is it with Rhys-Davies anyway? First GIMLI, now SALLAH...

If you guys want to start posting pics of the gear you bought that would be a great help.

I will post pics of the stuff I have so far once I check my parts bin for the vest + boots...

I believe I'm just about done with the outfit.

So far I have (or pending):
TUNIC - Sideshow Old Ben inner robe
SASH - Sideshow Old Ben inner robe
VEST - must check parts bin
BOOTS - must check parts bin

Need:
SHOVEL
TORCH

Here's a pic of the tunic/inner robe I got last night:

ssoldbentunic.jpg

The collar opening will have to be reworked, and closed up around chest level...but it looks like there's a natural break in the collar material there that might work for me.

Incidently, I know i said I didn't want to go the open robe route since Sallah's tunic is more like a closed nightshirt but I got the Ben robe at a good price and there's other aspects to it that work very nicely (sleeves, material, length, extra pieces for sash). I even found a nightshirt -- but it is too narrow and will be too short.

I won't post the listings because I hate when I'm watching something and someone posts a "hey over here" thread about it, but there are good priced loose Hasbro Kenobis available for those who are fine with that robe. It too could work, though the sleeves might be too big and baggy.

Last edited:
Good Luck Greg and all you other Guys putting your Sallah figures together. If I hadn't retired from the custom figure game I might have jumped on this myself. I will be looking in from time to time to see how you progress.

Sorry to hear you're retiring, Paul. Such a loss for us all. But glad you're keeping an eye out on what we're doing here.

Any advice is always welcome of course!

Still sad to hear you're out of the game Paul. At least I was able to score your smirking Indy custom, not once, but twice! (one painted by Josh Small, one with Les), and your Deckard resculpt too (which is also with Josh)...

Really keen on seeing how these Sallah customs shape up...I think I'll definitely have to make me one of these. :clap

Thank you for your kind words Guys, they mean a lot. I'm happy to help you out where I can with this and will be keeping an eye out for some parts for you all. I can forsee some very cool figures here to go with the marvelous headsculpt .

If it is any help to those making the "Tanis Dig" version , Sallah wears a waistcoat / vest that is very light in colour ( white I think ) with thin stripes going down vertically. A suggestion would be to buy a striped shirt, cut the sleeves off , remove the collar and reduce the length to suit the body you are using. His boots look like normal work boots ( remember this was based before world war 2 so you should be looking for something in a plain army style boot. I know Dragon has made some nice ones).

Body wise Ignite do a nice shaped figure ( swordsman I think ) that has the belly shape you're looking for . It also features the type of wrist joint that accepts the older Sideshow type hands and could be modded to fit Hot Toys hands too. Dragon also have "Mike Kirby" ( if you can find one ) who has a nice pot belly !

Last edited:
For anyone who fancies making their own tunic, google "kaftan" and you should be able to find some patterns that you could modify to suit. Sallah's tunic is basically a large letter "T" but the body is a lot wider with a "V" shaped collar.

Thanks, Paul. The shirt idea to make the vest is a great one. Probably the easiest way.

I found the vest I was thinking of in my parts bin. It's tan with stripes, not exact, but will work. I tried it on a Dragon body and size is fine. Just need to iron out the lapels and remove the buttons/snaps.

It's not perfect, but it's as close a finished vest as I can find.

It comes on a Rhett Butler 12" doll and here is a pic:

Untitled-1.jpg

I wanted to make sure there were stripes under the lapel flaps before I posted this.

If you like it, ebay search "Rhett 12"" and it should come up.

That vest looks pretty good. Barbie can be a highly underrated source for parts, if you can get them to fit.

I might have found something that'll work for a vest but I'll have to do my own stripes. The material is a somewhat thick though so it'll need to be weathered a good bit so it hangs right.

The vest is so wrinkled and open that you can get away with a lot I think.

Anyone have a good shovel yet? All ebay has are short 5" spades.

I figured a shovel would be easy. Now it's the hold up.

At this point, I got everything covered: sculpt, tunic, sash, vest, boots (to buy but I know the ones I need). I can build the torch this weekend. Just need a shovel.

Body? Thinking I'll go with the old stand-by Dragon because of the fuller chest (to balance with some bit of pouch padding). I also happen to have a couple Dragon bodies. Not sure about scale to SS Indy yet.

The Napoleon body Paul suggested is very good but very short.

Anyone know of a body out there that has larger forearms? Not counting the Butcher figure.

Did had a WW2 British or German figure that had a long handled shovel some time ago.. may have been the German engineer figure.. they were really nice though.. if you click on my website link and go to the base camp diorama photos, it is the shovel pictured there next to the table..

There's a lot of shovel's out there, just not long enough. They're all about 5" long at best. I need one at least 7-9". (waits for Nam to pick up on this innuendo)

Might have to just get the spade part and make the handle out of a chop stick or something.

Back