New Action Hero Sculpt - Tee Two & Double Dutch - Truthful Liar coming soon!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Neck-less Arnold head coming soon!

OK before anyone raises their eyes to heaven and goes 'Awwww FFS!' Dean did look for my take on the latest pics and I mentioned by PM that I still had some niggles which I was invited to post. Here goes.

Screen+shot+2012-08-22+at+10.51.19+AM.jpg
IMG_1549.jpg

Screen+shot+2012-08-22+at+10.48.17+AM.jpg

^Well I pretty much love the front view. The length of the face is great and eliminates my biggest complaint about the HT sculpts of Arnie. I love the hair length on the sides and on top and those kind of...indents you put on the left and the right. They stop the front view of the hair looking overly uniform and bun-like.
The only thing I might say is the frown lines across the forehead, I would make them only the barest suggestion. I don't think they were particularly prominent in 1991, dunno bout now!

Screen+shot+2012-08-22+at+10.49.02+AM.jpg
monkeyfacedversion.png

^The profile again is where I have my niggles. I actually prefer the ear shape you achieved on the previous version with the overly ape-like mouth area as seen most immediately above. So I think both ears could do with revisiting as regards the shape. I took a few of my own screengrabs for both sides of his head which I'll post further on.

Screen+shot+2012-08-22+at+10.49.17+AM.jpg

^This pic is what first struck me as off. Firstly, looking back, I don't think you posted any pics of this side so maybe it always looked like this or not I dunno. It seemed to me that there is an unusual distance between his ear and his eyes. Others might back me up there. His sideburns appear to be overly wide here as can be seen in comparison to movie stills. I don't think they'll fit in this post so I'll have to return to it. In addition to the ear maybe being too far back in his head I think the orientation of the ear needs to be adjusted. Again hopefully comparison shots will show what I mean.

Screen+shot+2012-08-22+at+10.50.32+AM.jpg

^this pic and also the direct profile shots made me think the forehead is now a bit too sloped. Checking the profile shots it appears to have the exact same slant as the nose and while the nose is correct I think the forehead should be a tiny bit steeper with that bumpy brow very very slightly reduced. Comparison shots to follow.

I don't know exactly how this digital sculpting works or if certain changes have some knock-on effects on other things. I'm thinking if the ears get moved forward (towards his face) his head overall might appear too thick with too much hair at the back and then maybe you'd have to shave that in. Likewise if you adjust the forehead to be a little steeper that might alter the hairline and force it forward a bit (but since the sideburns could do with being thinner that might work fine).

Last edited:
Sorry about side-scrolling annoyance I've probably created for most people here. Side-by-side pics seemed the best way to compare.

I'm open to disagreement on any of the things I've raised.

I agree with the ear shape, frown lines , and I think the ear should be turned back a little to have a different angle. I don't agree with you on the point about the ears being too far from the eyes, they seem fine to me. I also think the forehead looks fine. These "niggles" are awesome, Creg has a perfect opportunity to perfect this. Even now it's really close. nevermind. I do think the ear needs to be closer, look where it is in relation to the jawline.

Hey guys - The ears will be adjusted. I forgot to do that when I went back a version back to the corrected mouth.

The slope of the forehead a-dev, particularly in the shot it stood out to you the most in is a distortion due to the "perspective" view from zbrush. And I think the hair shape is throwing it off a little but when laid over the profile like the one in the gif - it lines up pretty good.

The hair line may be a bit close on the right side as well as the ear being too far back.

I'll take care of that today.

Lastly, the brow lines... They show up in the red but not as much in the grey or flesh render. Also may need to be a bit "over done" to show up at all when printed as it will loose a little detail. That will be a bit of trial and error.

CREG I would suggest you exaggerate the skin texture a bit too, because when printing the skin texture generally gets very subdued.

Well you mastered the craft so well Mate.
This is really cool.
Thank to A-dev for his insight to make this HS so good.

Any plans for a young Arnold?

A-dev - I mostly agree with your assessment.

However I think the ear should not be pulled closer, rather the hairline should be pulled further back. I created a crude gif image to try and show this. I don't know how to make the transition slower...
I realize the reference pic here is not 100% side on so there is some adjustment mentally that you have to make to account for that. But I definitely think the hairline around the temples needs to be pulled back on this evidence.

Secondly, the forehead, the bulge at the point the nose meets the eyebrows I think is perhaps too exaggerated. If you make that softer, the forehead will naturally become more vertical and more in line with the reference I think.

Finally, I think the eyebrows could perhaps be a little bit straighter - just watch the eyebrows on the gif, and you'll see what I mean. Some of this could be down to the expression. but looking at other pics as well, I think it would benefit the sculpt if they were slightly straighter, along with the reduced bulge where they meet the nose.

2550520_CreateAgif.gif

I think the ear placement is fine, the shape needs to be amended though as does the orientation.

Last edited:
CREG I would suggest you exaggerate the skin texture a bit too, because when printing the skin texture generally gets very subdued.

This is looking great GREG. Had you never used z brush prior to this, amazing if it's your first attempt.

I'm still in for each of the proposed variations.

The slimer I started in sculptris months back was all I had ever really sculpted (besides a PITT bust in high school) So no, first outing with zbrush. And thank you.

Well you mastered the craft so well Mate.
This is really cool.

Any plans for a young Arnold?

Thank you! See below... :)

I gotta ask: with these bodies being developed https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4779870&postcount=42 is there a chance you might do a
41599767.jpg

Will either be bald or have sculpted hair. Not sure which yet.

However I think the ear should not be pulled closer, rather the hairline should be pulled further back........

I think the ear placement is fine, the shape needs to be amended though as does the orientation.

Yeah - the hair line needs pushed back a bit. That will be tricky but I'll see what I can do. And yes, the ear shape is way off...

Phew, thanks everyone. I thought I was gonna get crucified for proposing yet more changes.

Thanks Dean for your patience and also lets face it, the hard work we're putting you through!

However I think the ear should not be pulled closer, rather the hairline should be pulled further back. I created a crude gif image to try and show this. I don't know how to make the transition slower...
I realize the reference pic here is not 100% side on so there is some adjustment mentally that you have to make to account for that. But I definitely think the hairline around the temples needs to be pulled back on this evidence.

Secondly, the forehead, the bulge at the point the nose meets the eyebrows I think is perhaps too exaggerated. If you make that softer, the forehead will naturally become more vertical and more in line with the reference I think.

Finally, I think the eyebrows could perhaps be a little bit straighter - just watch the eyebrows on the gif, and you'll see what I mean. Some of this could be down to the expression. but looking at other pics as well, I think it would benefit the sculpt if they were slightly straighter, along with the reduced bulge where they meet the nose.

I think you may be right on all counts. Yeah, maybe by just slightly reducing that brow bulge above the eyes it would make the forehead a little steeper looking and not throw off a bunch of other things like the hairline.

The eyebrow straightening - I think V-Raptor mentioned this a few pages back about how it made Arnie look 'concerned'. Well when I was skipping through the film last night I definitely found shots where his eyebrows were straight and some where they appeared to be more like what Dean has sculpted, slightly sloping down at the left and right extremities. It seems to vary.

nextupload1.jpg

nxtupload5.jpg

nxtupload4.jpg

upload1-1.jpg

nxtupload2.jpg

It could just be an expression thing but yes I wouldn't mind seeing a modified version with straighter eyebrows to see what it looks like.

I wondered what I'd subscribed to when I first saw the title in my email, then I twigged. This is Creg's Arnie thread! LOL!

nevermind. I do think the ear needs to be closer, look where it is in relation to the jawline.

I actually was persuaded by Void's suggestion that the distance is fine, that just the hairline needs to be pulled back a bit and the ears reshaped and reorientated. I now think moving the ears forward would result in too much skull behind the ears where you'd have to then start shaving off the back of his head a bit.

But as to your comments about the sculpt being so close - I agree. Thats why I'm so into this one. It really has the chance of eliminating every annoying flaw in every other sculpt and being just the perfect T2 Arnold headsculpt. After that, theres only the paint to worry about...oh and compatability with the HT body. I'm hoping this head will come out a tiny bit little larger than the HT head and thus look more accurately proportioned to that body. In theory it should, the face is longer and so is the hair.

I've really enjoyed this thread. This is a fans dream really, if not to be doing the sculpting which unfortunately I just wouldn't be able to do, then to be granted a significant input which you just don't get with the big companies. Its flattering to me and thanks very much to Dean for tolerating me being such a pain in the ass on this one! :lol

I'm gonna make another suggestion, and thats all it is - its by no means an essential-to-likeness alteration. You see the hair right at the bottom of the back of his head? You could try to make it look like it does in these comparisons below, rather than have it just running pretty much straight down the back you could have it curl a bit more behind the ears. As I said not really essential, a personal preferance thing more than anything.

3rdfinalrightsideprofile.jpg
upload5-1.jpg

3rdfinal.jpg
upload7-1.jpg

I actually was persuaded by Void's suggestion that the distance is fine, that just the hairline needs to be pulled back a bit and the ears reshaped and reorientated.

haha me too. ^^
I do however think the jawline should be pulled back just a tiny bit. To line up with the ears more accurately. This is nitpicking at its finest. You should be happy that someone is nitpicking your sculpt, it means, you've done a fantastic job so far. :lol

Back