Neill Blomkamp's Elysium

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just saw it. Not that great, was just ok for me.
Let the hype build up too much for this I guess.

Yet another movie where I was watching it and just almost tuning out.
Same thing happened in Pac Rim.

IT was ok. Yes great visuals.
But I dunno, too much of a rehash of D9. I hope this guy is not a one trick pony.

Acting was decent, but some overacting. Foster was overacting it a bit.
The Kruger guy just annoyed me with the accent, and as a villain, he was not that great or blowing me away in any respect.

Damon was great with what he did and had to work with.

The facial reconstruction scene was kind of silly. It actually looked like stop motion effects and reminded me of the face melting in Indy Jones LOL

Overall, I just felt some of the acting, story and overall vibe was less than stellar, but painted a nice visual world.

Ill consider it on Blu Ray, but one theatre viewing is enough. Not enough there that is dragging me back excited to see it again.

Last edited:
Movie was pretty solid. Enjoyed it as a whole but it didn't blow me away either. I'll get it on blu. 7.5/10

I loved it. District 9 was a little bit better for me, but I still thought it was really awesome. Sharlto Copley is the greatest.

It was just "ok" for me.
I liked it, but that's the best I can say for it.

I won't be here discussing this movie back and forth for days or weeks.

Time to move on. Not sure what's coming up next I'm looking forward too. Fall is coming, let's see what it can bring for some surprises.

Gobble gobble.

"thud"

....and the summer movie season ends as it began, with a really good looking movie that doesn't really go anywhere.

Like "Oblivion", "Elysium" hits all the right notes but doesn't resonate.
It looked terrific, but...once it ended, it just evaporates. The story, the ideas, much of the (admittedly well-rendered) design just has a "been there, done that" feeling to it.

This could've been a "70's movie starring Heston or an '80s movie starring Schwarzenegger...not a bad thing, but after all of the hoopla, it kind of felt like it should have left a more lasting impression.

Not bad, just....oh well.

No need to see this again....

Gobble gobble.

"thud"

....and the summer movie season ends as it began, with a really good looking movie that doesn't really go anywhere.

Like "Oblivion", "Elysium" hits all the right notes but doesn't resonate.
It looked terrific, but...once it ended, it just evaporates. The story, the ideas, much of the (admittedly well-rendered) design just has a "been there, done that" feeling to it.

This could've been a "70's movie starring Heston or an '80s movie starring Schwarzenegger...not a bad thing, but after all of the hoopla, it kind of felt like it should have left a more lasting impression.

Not bad, just....oh well.

No need to see this again....

Sorta, kinda agree.

I really don't mind. I just thought it was funny you said that. This isn't the Elysium appreciation thread. All are welcome. All are welcome.

I really enjoyed this movie, but not for the usual reasons. Yeah Matt Damon was really good and Foster needed someone to punch the stupid out of her silly over acting **** she had going on, but I was amazed beginning to end by the tech. I didn't feel overwhelmed by it, it seemed natural. By the end of the movie, I just expected that Blokamp got to see some designs that are being worked on for real droids coming out. The ships, that red attack chopper that deployed droids, everything, I had never seen such futurustic tech that seemed so...real. Whoever designed this **** should be a hot commodity, I wanted to see more of this world.

The overall story was pretty meh to me, but man I just loved the weapons, droids, and vehicles. I literally kept thinking man I need these in 1/6 the entire movie. It could be another Iron Man, hell I'd buy the white medical droids you only see for 5 seconds, fleece me now Hot toys. :lol

So, overall its a definite buy, even if its just so I can ogle the tech. And even though its not what I was expecting, it is a damn good action flick, you just have to realize thats what youre going in to see.

I just saw this, I'm so utterly disappointed by this film.

I feel like I watched a movie by someone who just wanted to say "hey, look at the awesome spaceships and space station we made" because when anything else was on screen the people behind the camera didn't care to make what we were watching comprehensible.

5/10

I liked it, didn't love it. Most likely won't be watching this again.

I can't begin to explain how some of the acting dragged this film to very low depths for me, made it almost unwatchable. Who ever played Spider is god awful and nearly ruined the film. I liked Damon, Coply and Foster. Everyone else was just bad.

The story was fine, I liked it alot, that didn't bother me one bit. It's when anything that's on screen that wasn't shot with an aerial device it's hard to comprehend what's on screen because the camera never stops moving. It's similar to Paul Greengrasses work but it lacks the attention to detail, where Greengrass will pull the camera back for a shot to establish the action at hand and then bang bang cuts then pull the camera back again. This is in your face with very little to help set the scene of the action. When Damon gets in a scuffle with the droid in the heist scene it lacks any punch because it goes by so fast before you know it, it's over with very little to go by with what just happened, not that you need to know how the action played out but it does take the enjoyment out of the scene. I'm not sure who saw these action scenes and said they were ground breaking because there was nothing that was ground breaking about this film. It's like the Bourne films merged with Transformers but the only good thing that came out of the translation was the cool effects.

I did like the effects, they were great, but when they weren't showing the scenery or ships, it was hard to enjoy the world they created for the film because it was just hard to make out in the midst of the camera work.

my favorite part was when they put Krugers face back together, that was awesome and looked like they used some old school stop motion, which was nice to see.

I did absolutely love the end, that was fantastic, and by end I mean what happens with Damons character, not the final fight, because that wasn't that great.

The film has it's moments and can be enjoyable, but it's very forgettable.

So much need for this on my shelves.

EW-09-Elysium-Gallery-IA-025-0065-1050.jpg

Other than some great looking visuals, thought it was just ok. A 6.5/10

Had problems with the fancy orbiting housing addition being able to have the airspace of a major city shut down.

I'm sure those medical beds exist on earth as everything has knockoff versions made today.

And the Doc Oct problem. These guys just had a roborack attached to them. It doesn't make them invinsible when crushed against a loading crate or punched in the face by someone else wearing a roborack. And like a zombie, just shoot em in the head.

Driving around in a 150 year old GT-R with a bunch of BTTF **** attached to it =/= future!!

I guess once all those 'citizens' get to Elysium, it will look like LA soon....

Back