NECA's 18" ALIEN

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My thoughts as well.

If Kyle is re-sculpting the Cameron alien, which is about 70% Giger alien, there's no reason the Giger alien shouldn't be re-sculpted.
Torso, hips, legs and upper arms are all the same, so the '79 alien should get the new, better articulation as well. And then all you need is to fix the dome and make sure the jaw is positioned correctly so it closes fully.

It's a no-brainer.

:exactly::goodpost::lecture

My thoughts as well.

If Kyle is re-sculpting the Cameron alien, which is about 70% Giger alien, there's no reason the Giger alien shouldn't be re-sculpted.
Torso, hips, legs and upper arms are all the same, so the '79 alien should get the new, better articulation as well. And then all you need is to fix the dome and make sure the jaw is positioned correctly so it closes fully.

It's a no-brainer.

:exactly: Sold!

Honestly, I know several people are complaining about the Alien figure not being able to close its mouth...but neither could the actual suit.

There was always a gap between the bottom and the top teeth due to the large, sharp teeth on the side.

So, to make an "accurate" Alien, it SHOULD NOT be able to close its mouth all the way.

Alien_-_Sigourney_Weaver__The_Alien.jpg

0025.jpg

0011.jpg

4128280288_367e3f28bd_o.jpg

The problem is our figure's jaw wasn't put on it the right spot. If it were we'd have a figure that would have the mouth close more but yeah it never does close all the way in the film.

The problem is our figure's jaw wasn't put on it the right spot. If it were we'd have a figure that would have the mouth close more but yeah it never does close all the way in the film.
will they be any resculpting done on the 18 inch re-release ,like dome etc, or will it be the same original sculpt with just a new paint job?

Hope it has the same countenance as the roswell alien by sano....that thing just screams giger alien...look st those pics....

I.m hoping kyle resculpts,...he has said many times especially since sano's bust came out, that he wanted another crack at the alien and improve upon it...im hoping joints are improved, including the quality...amd the sculpt of the head is most important....get the skull and dome just right from all angles..and the right effect on the dome....
A clear acrylic piece with varying thickness'll give the right effect, instead of a thin piece of a.b.s.....and make sure it overhangs at the right spots....use sano sculpt for reference on the proper dome shape, our go to gruyere and study the original sculpt and then as the proper cinematic details esp the mouth shape and added tendons

Hope it has the same countenance as the roswell alien by sano....that thing just screams giger alien...look st those pics....

I.m hoping kyle resculpts,...he has said many times especially since sano's bust came out, that he wanted another crack at the alien and improve upon it...im hoping joints are improved, including the quality...amd the sculpt of the head is most important....get the skull and dome just right from all angles..and the right effect on the dome....
A clear acrylic piece with varying thickness'll give the right effect, instead of a thin piece of a.b.s.....and make sure it overhangs at the right spots....use sano sculpt for reference on the proper dome shape, our go to gruyere and study the original sculpt and then as the proper cinematic details esp the mouth shape and added tendons

I know everybody's going gaga over the Sano piece, but honestly, that is not really the movie creature.
The suit had some differences with the sculpture, like the spikes on the elbows, the ribbing around the wrists and just the way the suit was put together and looked when worn was different, just compare how the ribcage and shoulder guards look on the pics of Bolaji with the suit compared to the statue. The head sits higher on the suit as well. and the head and face look different, mainly because we all have in mind Rambaldi's articulated head, which has a lot more detail than the statue.

I really think that to capture the true look of the creature you have to put together a bit of a jigsaw puzzle of different parts.

I know everybody's going gaga over the Sano piece, but honestly, that is not really the movie creature.
The suit had some differences with the sculpture, like the spikes on the elbows, the ribbing around the wrists and just the way the suit was put together and looked when worn was different, just compare how the ribcage and shoulder guards look on the pics of Bolaji with the suit compared to the statue. The head sits higher on the suit as well. and the head and face look different, mainly because we all have in mind Rambaldi's articulated head, which has a lot more detail than the statue.

I really think that to capture the true look of the creature you have to put together a bit of a jigsaw puzzle of different parts.

The Sano sculpt is simply that -- it's basically a life sized maquette...it does not represent the suit as it appears in the film...it represents the idea, the design.

I do agree that you need many references--but I don't have a problem with the Sano Sculpt - it's better than a majority of what's out now -- The Marmit even though based on the statue has the correct ligament details around the mouth...andlarger midsection

Sure the Sano's got no peeling skin, ligaments around the mouth, elbow spikes, ribbing around the wrists, the shorter and the fused four fingers, Shorter-sized clavicle collar, and no flat lines underneath the ribs (which the Kenner correctly had), wider midesection, etc
--but all those things are details that can be incorporated

it's a great base to begin with because it is based on Bolaji's size--- Tankman said this is one of the best examples of a Giger alien --

the Xplus is a great example of what the suit looked like --- though it is a little sculpterly in the execution, it is a great example of the man in the suit sculpt...it includes the huan midestion that is more flush with the ribcage...

I personally do like the wrist ribs, the elbow spikes, the meaner face on the rimbaldi skull, but I like the proportions of HR Giger's original sculpture...The longer bigger head, the bigger clavicle shoulder part - making the head look like it sits even lower, the thinner midsection

Last edited:
The Sano sculpt is simply that -- it's basically a life sized maquette...it does not represent the suit as it appears in the film...it represents the idea, the design.

I do agree that you need many references--but I don't have a problem with the Sano Sculpt - it's better than a majority of what's out now -- The Marmit even though based on the statue has the correct ligament details around the mouth...andlarger midsection

Sure the Sano's got no peeling skin, ligaments around the mouth, elbow spikes, ribbing around the wrists, the shorter and the fused four fingers, Shorter-sized clavicle collar, and no flat lines underneath the ribs (which the Kenner correctly had), wider midesection, etc
--but all those things are details that can be incorporated

it's a great base to begin with because it is based on Bolaji's size--- Tankman said this is one of the best examples of a Giger alien --

the Xplus is a great example of what the suit looked like --- though it is a little sculpterly in the execution, it is a great example of the man in the suit sculpt...it includes the huan midestion that is more flush with the ribcage...

I personally do like the wrist ribs, the elbow spikes, the meaner face on the rimbaldi skull, but I like the proportions of HR Giger's original sculpture...The longer bigger head, the bigger clavicle shoulder part - making the head look like it sits even lower, the thinner midsection

Agreed with your assessment of the Sano sculpt vis a vis the original Giger sculpture.
The truth is, in the case of Alien, and Aliens to a lesser degree, there really is no definitive alien... there were plenty of slight differences in all the suits, stunt-men and puppets used. But one thing that also is clear, is that there are some proportions and details that are pretty much definitive. It'll come down to how well the artist sculpting the figure/statue can translate those proportions and details to the image we all have of what the alien should look like.

Tankman has a great understanding of the alien IMO, and I think his sculpt for NECA is brilliant. It has a ferocious quality to it that really appeals to me.
The Medicom figure is another great example of how an artist interpreted the on-screen creature with features of the sculpture. It is a lot more poised and streamlined in a way.
The Sano is probably the best sculpt ever made of the original sculpture, that is for sure.

Agreed with your assessment of the Sano sculpt vis a vis the original Giger sculpture.
The truth is, in the case of Alien, and Aliens to a lesser degree, there really is no definitive alien... there were plenty of slight differences in all the suits, stunt-men and puppets used. But one thing that also is clear, is that there are some proportions and details that are pretty much definitive. It'll come down to how well the artist sculpting the figure/statue can translate those proportions and details to the image we all have of what the alien should look like.

Tankman has a great understanding of the alien IMO, and I think his sculpt for NECA is brilliant. It has a ferocious quality to it that really appeals to me.
The Medicom figure is another great example of how an artist interpreted the on-screen creature with features of the sculpture. It is a lot more poised and streamlined in a way.
The Sano is probably the best sculpt ever made of the original sculpture, that is for sure.

Tankman's sculpt was for a long time, my favorite Alien in my collection...next to the Kenner...You're right he does have a great understanding of it's subtleties -- but the head had to be revisited for sure...

It is my hope that his NEW Alien will be my new favorite Alien figure --- I'm counting on joints that are unbiased to any particular pose (I hate cut joints because they are never invisible or rarely can be incorporated into the limb, unless perfectly circular in the cross section...

I'm hoping for a completely resculpted head in particular -- and painted details in the ribbing vs the "sharpie" hand-drawn look -- pls make the joints more like the P2 figure...

I'm fairly certain the Aliens version will have P2 style joints, I think Kyle said so himself, so I'm sure we will eventually get a Giger alien with that same type of articulation before long.

My Alien been standing fine since I got him but today I just picked him up and the lower leg from knee downwards just fell off! Its not snapped and the joint is fine but it just wont stay in and keeps falling off. :(

oh yes. i was also thinking to get one figure by neca, the 12" or the 18" but the head disturbing me to much. i also dont like the rough skin of the hole figure. especially the legs. these areas should be smooth, shouldn t theey?

oh yes. i was also thinking to get one figure by neca, the 12" or the 18" but the head disturbing me to much. i also dont like the rough skin of the hole figure. especially the legs. these areas should be smooth, shouldn t theey?

Well the rough skin is the "peeling" effect of his skin since he was still growing...although the Sano (roswell) version doesn't have any of that, when in fact the sculpt in gruyere did I believe -- I would assume that when the alien was a full adult there'd be no peeling skin...so adding the peeling skin is akin to adding the ky slobber around the mouth...it's not a "fixed" biological feature on the creature itself...

Neca made a 9" and a 19" (18") -- Neca will be reintroducing the Alien soon this year it seems, so perhaps you should just wait...since it's supposed to have better articulation and the artist wants to resculpt ever since he realized that there was better reference out there...

Well the rough skin is the "peeling" effect of his skin since he was still growing...although the Sano (roswell) version doesn't have any of that, when in fact the sculpt in gruyere did I believe -- I would assume that when the alien was a full adult there'd be no peeling skin...so adding the peeling skin is akin to adding the ky slobber around the mouth...it's not a "fixed" biological feature on the creature itself...

Neca made a 9" and a 19" (18") -- Neca will be reintroducing the Alien soon this year it seems, so perhaps you should just wait...since it's supposed to have better articulation and the artist wants to resculpt ever since he realized that there was better reference out there...

No they only talked about better paint app. I doubt they are redoing the sculpt at all.

No they only talked about better paint app. I doubt they are redoing the sculpt at all.

Tankman has been talking about resculpting himself....also they already reissued the alien twice...why the formal announcement then referring to the last alien as having previously been offered but that we.d be happy with whats in store...not verbatim....

Back