NECA ROCKY & Apollo Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife picked up BD Drago for me this past weekend. Very average at best. Body is great but I think a little more effort could have been made in the paint department. The only other Rocky figure I own is BD Apollo which I think is much better. Still happy to own Drago as this "BD" was the only figure I wanted from series 2. No plans to take him out of package so here are a few pictures.........
IMG2175.jpg

IMG2159.jpg

IMG2157.jpg

IMG2156.jpg

IMG2174.jpg

IMG2173.jpg

IMG2176.jpg

Got mine today from eBay. Paint apps suck. Two of the four figures nipples are either unpainted or the paint is beside the nipple altogether, followed by slop here and there on the noses and chests of all four.

Neca and Sideshow share something in common: the sculpts are good and the paint apps suck. :lol

My eyes just cannot get past that horrible separation across the midsection.

I could understand complaining on high end $200+ figures from Hot Toys, Enterbay and Sideshow, but a Neca 6 inch plastic figure that's for sale at Toy R Us and sells for $12 is just pathetic, what did you people expect??? It's not intended for high end collectors, it's a lower end figure that if you like Rocky is fine, it's not perfection, it's just average, but it's better then know Rocky figures being released.

I could understand complaining on high end $200+ figures from Hot Toys, Enterbay and Sideshow, but a Neca 6 inch plastic figure that's for sale at Toy R Us and sells for $12 is just pathetic, what did you people expect??? It's not intended for high end collectors, it's a lower end figure that if you like Rocky is fine, it's not perfection, it's just average, but it's better then know Rocky figures being released.

Pathetic is a tad strong, don't you think? Opinions, dude, opinions, some don't mind how these figures look and some do.

No need for the low end/high end clarification, I'm well aware, I simply don't care for how these look, I would rather they left out the articulation in that area and sculpted the torso in a static pose.

As it is, IMO, the separation draws too much attention to themselves and ruins the appearance of the figure.

Besides, I'm not too impressed with the sculpt on the faces, either, Rocky and Apollo look nothing like Sly or Carl and I've seen NECA do a much better job in the likeness department in the past with other human figures.

Bottom line for me, I don't think they did that great of a job even for a $12 NECA figure, if I thought they did I would certainly buy them as Rocky is one of my all time favorite films.

No big deal, can't win em' all.

Last edited:
Pathetic is a tad strong, don't you think? Opinions, dude, opinions, some don't mind how these figures look and some do.

No need for the low end/high end clarification, I'm well aware, I simply don't care for how these look, I would rather they left out the articulation in that area and sculpted the torso in a static pose.

As it is, IMO, the separation draws too much attention to themselves and ruins the appearance of the figure.

Besides, I'm not too impressed with the sculpt on the faces, either, Rocky and Apollo look nothing like Sly or Carl and I've seen NECA do a much better job in the likeness department in the past with other human figures.

Bottom line for me, I don't think they did that great of a job even for a $12 NECA figure, if I thought they did I would certainly buy them as Rocky is one of my all time favorite films.

No big deal, can't win em' all.

:exactly::goodpost:

I'm with you, I really think and this has been brought up many times that all the problems with the Rocky Neca line comes down to the fact that the prototypes were 1/6 and the final version was 6 inch, all the detail was lost.

Btw I didn't mean anything personnel when I used the word pathetic, I just don't see the point in dissecting and analyzing to death this line because it doesn't seem by the quality of the figures that Neca really cares what collectors think, but then again I could be wrong and Neca does care, and these figures are what they consider acceptable.

Well the human likeness and bodies are much better than the previous Jakks line... so I dont see on what benchmark of 7inch scale Rocky figures you are comparing with to call them not good enough for $14 figures...

No sweat, balboa1976, it's all good.

I'm not comparing them to any other line, I'm expressing what my eyes tell me, that's all.

They could have been done better at this scale and price range IMO.

Last edited:
Found the Series 2 Rocky figures. The skin-toned plastic is great and I really wish more companies would go that route - sometimes Hasbro does, but not consistently. All the paint apps looked as to be expected, one Rocky looked alittle sloppy, but the rest of the case was ok. My only complaint would be that there weren't as many paint apps as there should be. Like with Series 1, more of the figure aside from the head should be bloody - puts alittle splash on the shoulders or even the shorts to make it look messy. The BD Rocky with blood spit shows just how much blood is flying around, so make it count.

I just picked up the new Rocky 4 figure even though I never really cared for that sequel. I think this likeness is way better than the Stallone likeness from the first wave which I passed on. I bought the non-bloody version and will probably get the Clubber Lang figure when I see it.

My brother who is a huge Rocky fan and sometime figure collector also freaked out about the joint at the midsection of the figure. It's never bothered me and I was surprised to hear that it was a deal breaker to him. Considering it's lack of movement, it's probably not necessary to include it. Now I'm starting to wonder what really is the point of it?

BB

I must either be in the minority, or have gotten the best paint app in the entire production line because I think the regular Rocky in this wave looks great.

Now that I've gotten Apollo too, I'm surprised that all 3 body sculpts are unique, and all the heights look correct too. Very impressed with NECA on this wave.

The Rocky head sculpt is so much better for the Rocky IV regular than the regular part 1 figure from series 1.
Overall, I'm lovin this line. Pretty neat stuff we're getting. Can't wait to add the Rocky III figures.

Neca are re-releasing Rocky and Apollo as a double pack exclusive to Toys R Us in the US should be available internationaly too. What they are doing which is cool is they are implementing there new tranluscent flesh look, which will then match these Rocky figures up with the newer ones.
Also they had the sense to use the battered face Rocky rather than there first attempt which is very off the mark.

53066_Rocky_Apollo_2pk_Pkg-e1349104471918.jpg

If anyone has been keeping up with the Portal 2 portal-gun issue, this is the same thing.

NECA releases a great product that most people think they would never get and then later NECA releases a superior version of the same product. People who bought the original are feeling like they have an inferior item and NECA provides no explaination as to why they didn't just go big with the better version in the first place.

Back