NECA: Predator Movie Franchise Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally found series 9 at my TRU, two full pegs of them. I only got one Mud Dutch. Not sure if I will keep him yet, kind of getting out of the smaller figures but it was an impulse

Neck articulation is very important to me, the ability to move the neck freely is essential to getting natural poses. I rarely even notice the cut unless you are seeing a figure from the back.

:thud::thud::thud:

Did either of you actually ask for ball joint heads previous to them becoming standard on everything. I don't remember any ''give us ball-joint heads' campaign. Seems to me they came into fashion and then suddenly anything that doesn't have a ball-joint head isn't an action figure anymore, suddenly its a statue. Yet I don't recall anyone complaining about it before - like the T2 figures for example. Only after ball-joint heads start popping up everywhere have I seen anyone taking a shot at those figures for their combined heads and necks.

Last edited:
I used to complain about ball-joint heads on Hasbro Star Wars figures.

Seriously? :cuckoo:

It's hidden and adds to both the display and play factors. I wish there was a 1/8 scale Vader with a ball jointed neck.

:thud::thud::thud:

Did either of you actually ask for ball joint heads previous to them becoming standard on everything. I don't remember any ''give us ball-joint heads' campaign. Seems to me they came into fashion and then suddenly anything that doesn't have a ball-joint head isn't an action figure anymore, suddenly its a statue. Yet I don't recall anyone complaining about it when it came out - like the T2 figures for example.

I asked for it. It saves me time from adding the articulation myself. I have even posted a cross-section on how to improve the neck articulation in a forum thread aimed at the toy engineers.

Last edited:
Seriously? :cuckoo:

It's hidden and adds to both the display and play factors. I wish there was a 1/8 scale Vader with a ball jointed neck.

Errr...its not hidden. By no means is it hidden. I wouldn't be complaining if it was hidden. In fact you saying that makes me wonder if we're talking about the same thing.

The kind of joint I'm advocating - at the base of the neck - is hidden.

Errr...its not hidden. By no means is it hidden. I wouldn't be complaining if it was hidden. In fact you saying that makes me wonder if we're talking about the same thing.

Might be better hidden but it way too restrictive. I don't get it man, these are action figures, I like to play and pose them, if you don't want visible joints then buy statues or sculpt your own...

The ball jointed heads (on all figures from Neca to hot toys) add so much to the poseability , the sold necks are way too restrictive and that can't be argued that's why almost every action figure company has gone to them

Might be better hidden but it way too restrictive. I don't get it man, these are action figures, I like to play and pose them, if you don't want visible joints then buy statues or sculpt your own...

If I were arguing to remove the joint altogether and have like, a swivel head at most, the 'buy statues' cliché might be relevant. I'm asking to relocate the ball-joint back down to where they used to put it - at the base of the neck. I don't agree that its too restrictive. Its not. Your figure can look up/down/left/right. I don't understand why all of a sudden puppy dog head tilts are so important to the action figure community.
As soon as anyone breaks out the 'buy statues' bit it tends to just piss me off. I'm not a statue collector. Never have been and never will be. I love poseability. But it has to be worth it. Subtle head-tilting isn't worth it to me. Not for what it does to the jawline of a sculpt :dunno Again - I love joints, just not that particular one.

Anyway I'm bowing out. Losing battle and all that.

I bought the set of this week of NECA series 9 Predator. I made a custom in Patrol Dutch, I removed all the paint and started from zero. Liked it?

4x6.JPG

0i8y.jpg

x2ij.jpg

I see A-Dev's point on the DX-10. Arnold has a distinct neck and jawline in real life and the figure has a neck that's too big for the head proportion wise. I still think the figure is amazing and I am happy with it but the neck to head looks a tad off. I am not complaining though as I am satisfied with the overall likeness and he is one of my new favorite figures. I look forward to other advancements that hot toys can make to keep everything new.

Finally found series 9 at my TRU, two full pegs of them. I only got one Mud Dutch. Not sure if I will keep him yet, kind of getting out of the smaller figures but it was an impulse

Wouldn't happen to have the SKU # for series 9, would you?
Thanks! :)

:peace

I have 35+ SW figures on my desk, the only one that have ugly or distracting neck joints are figures who literally have no neck like Sny Snoodles.

I'm not a fan of that type of neck articulation, it limits the expression, reduces movement and even worse, it's not anatomically correct. The position of the suprasternal notch is fixed on humans, but on figures whose heads and necks are sculpted as one piece, the notch is twisted and contorted. To me, impossible anatomy is far worse than a neck seam.

I got the Predator Trophy wall today! All I can say is WOW, is it impressive! It's very big and heavy and has incredible detail. It totally takes the lost tribe up a notch in terms of display.

Once you add the skulls to it, it just feels like you're reliving the movie :) I'm just missing the Alien skull unfortunately. Will have to order the skull pack to finish it.

Oh yeah, the T-Rex skull is very cool too and quite large. I'll post pics tomorrow.

I have 35+ SW figures on my desk, the only one that have ugly or distracting neck joints are figures who literally have no neck like Sny Snoodles.

I'm not a fan of that type of neck articulation, it limits the expression, reduces movement and even worse, it's not anatomically correct. The position of the suprasternal notch is fixed on humans, but on figures whose heads and necks are sculpted as one piece, the notch is twisted and contorted. To me, impossible anatomy is far worse than a neck seam.

In seriousness I hope you don't think I didn't read your post. I did, I merely saw an opportunity for a movie-reference response and I can never pass those up.

I understand the reasons a balljointed head is more anatomically realistic as far as the movement of the head. Where I differ from evidently most other people is that I am more willing to accept a slightly unrealistic neck posture in certain poses than I am to accept an unrealistic appearance with this permanently visible jawline cut. If I don't like the angle the neck is at in a certain pose I just won't go with that pose. Whereas unfortunately with ball-joint heads I have to put up with the separated head no matter what pose I go with.

That fundamentally is where we disagree and why I regret bringing this up again today. Because it has gone no differently than it did yesterday. Me explaining why I hate ball-joint heads. Others explaining why they like them and what they're for. No party's mind having been changed by the other. It could just go on and on and on. That's why I wanted to bow out. I'm responding now because I felt your post, with its valid points, deserved acknowledgment beyond my jokey youtube vid.

Last edited:
I have to say that I prefer ball jointed necks. They are better.

When the head comes with the neck all in one piece it looks kind of awful sometimes. You cannot pose the figure differently because of that

Back