NECA - Planet of the Apes

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The sculpt is great! What body would you use?

I wanted to make an 8" slave Taylor but the head needs a ball socket neck. If anyone knows of any adaptors for any re-Mego bodies that would be excellent.

Last edited:
Not sure yet what body.... Possibly a DST trek one with lots of work, or maybe one of the limitless numbers of wrestling figures out there, although the main problem with them that I can see is that they all seem too 'ripped' and not 'wiry' enough for Taylor, although, that being said, my knowledge of the subject is non existing..... Perhaps a fellow freak who knows a bit more about wwe could suggest a donor body......

I am still hopeful that either someone picks up the ape license and continues with this line in some fashion or another , or maybe Neca just surprises us all and announces some sort of one off POTA figure , human or ape doesn't matter. Just can't believe Aliens and Predator are in there double digit series releases and there wasnt enough of us ape fans to continue our line. I guess it's a generational thing, and there just isn't enough of us that still look for this kind of stuff???

Yeah, the same was said when the 1:6 line died, then we got the best POTA figures ever made when Hot Toys stepped up but then they only made three gorillas.
Its a blessing and a curse.
I keep thinking that, if NECA had gone with 1:6, at least those that had existing collections would have even more POTA goodness.
With any luck they'll release the 2ups.

This popped up on my Facebook from a year ago as a timeline thing. It made me sad. I made it for Ape day and tried to spread it around to help keep the line alive. Clearly it didn't. :(
2nlh8n8.jpg

This morning I stopped by a toy show and noticed a grim reaper on a horse that looked like he was roughly the NECA POTA scale. The horse also had a similar finish and paint style to the Apes figures as well. The set was $10 so I picked it up on the chance the horse might look good under the general.

I was really pleased with how well they looked together when I got home. Fortunately Ursus is poseable enough to "ride," and the horse's color is dark enough that its few "armor" embellishments don't distract at all. The only exception is the piece that hangs out over the nose, but I may pick up another to play with before I start cutting on this one.

The stirrups are rubber, and they fit his boots nicely. You'll notice the dirty hooves and lower legs, which adds a lot I think. When I looked it up it turns out it's a Toy Biz Ringwraith set from Fellowship of the Ring. (My LOTR knowledge is minimal.) Ebay has the sets trending around $30 right now from what I could see. There's a "clean" version too so be aware of which one you want/get if you take a look. The hooves are poseable so you can get a good stance (plus he has a push-button rearing-feature and light-up eyes, which I didn't bother with yet).

The Ringwraith figure is more like 6", and Ursus is a bit taller, but it works for me! I really lightened these photos; the detail in the horse is not this noticeable, and it looks pretty "normal" on the shelf except for that nose guard. I know there are some other horses in this thread, but I at least wanted to add my photos if this one has already been mentioned.

Ursus1.jpg

Ursus2.jpg

Let me know what you think PZ.

The right eye seemed to disappear when the face was no longer black.

IMG_0367.jpg

still touching up.
IMG_0377.jpg

As He is right now.
IMG_0397.jpg

I received the Urko you painted for me and it looks amazing! Thank you so much! It is going to make a great addition to my Ape collection.

This morning I stopped by a toy show and noticed a grim reaper on a horse that looked like he was roughly the NECA POTA scale. The horse also had a similar finish and paint style to the Apes figures as well. The set was $10 so I picked it up on the chance the horse might look good under the general.

I was really pleased with how well they looked together when I got home. Fortunately Ursus is poseable enough to "ride," and the horse's color is dark enough that its few "armor" embellishments don't distract at all. The only exception is the piece that hangs out over the nose, but I may pick up another to play with before I start cutting on this one.

The stirrups are rubber, and they fit his boots nicely. You'll notice the dirty hooves and lower legs, which adds a lot I think. When I looked it up it turns out it's a Toy Biz Ringwraith set from Fellowship of the Ring. (My LOTR knowledge is minimal.) Ebay has the sets trending around $30 right now from what I could see. There's a "clean" version too so be aware of which one you want/get if you take a look. The hooves are poseable so you can get a good stance (plus he has a push-button rearing-feature and light-up eyes, which I didn't bother with yet).

The Ringwraith figure is more like 6", and Ursus is a bit taller, but it works for me! I really lightened these photos; the detail in the horse is not this noticeable, and it looks pretty "normal" on the shelf except for that nose guard. I know there are some other horses in this thread, but I at least wanted to add my photos if this one has already been mentioned.

View attachment 247725

View attachment 247726

Yup.. thats what I use too.... i already had a couple, and have added to them by buying loose ones over the last year or so. I'm now up to seven, with a white one for Ursus.

I received the Urko you painted for me and it looks amazing! Thank you so much! It is going to make a great addition to my Ape collection.

I am so happy that you like him. It was fun to paint. I had a crowd of children around me the whole time, they wanted to paint with me. I bought a few Dr. Z from ToysRUs and give them away. Maybe a few of them will be future Ape fans. If you want any more of your apes done let me know and I will do my best to help. Enjoy! Also, please tell your father I said thank you for his assistance with gathering up a few 8" gorillas for me. It was a big help.

Yup.. thats what I use too.... i already had a couple, and have added to them by buying loose ones over the last year or so. I'm now up to seven, with a white one for Ursus.

What gets me is that Toy Biz did such a great job on their LOTR horses that Neca used the Ringwraith's horse with their General Ursus at last years Toy Fair. When fans saw Ursus riding a steed they got excited but Randy quickly replied that there was no intention of making horses for this line. Just another nail. The only thing that would need tweaking was the sculpt and scale. Maybe Neca could of bought the sculpt? Horses would have been a great edition. Horses sell, just look at the company BREYERS, all they do are horses, unfortunately they are too expensive. With ToysRUs willing to sell this POTA line at 75% off I have to imagine that they are still pulling in a profit, although greatly reduced. However, it makes one wonder how much these figures actually cost to make and question if Neca over charge the line? We may never know.

Last edited:
Wow, I was lucky to come across that Toy Biz horse and notice its possibilities. I should have looked through this thread first—as I plan to right now to get tips on how to best pull off the Ursus and Aldo heads for my own Urko project! Looking at yours for inspiration, stickman!

Wow, I was lucky to come across that Toy Biz horse and notice its possibilities. I should have looked through this thread first—as I plan to right now to get tips on how to best pull off the Ursus and Aldo heads for my own Urko project! Looking at yours for inspiration, stickman!

Glad I can help. Post some pictures when you're done.

Just got my second Aldo in the mail, so I'll be boiling some heads off soon! In the meantime, last night I finished a pistol model I'd been wanting to do forever. Between the Dremeling and painting it's been off-and-on for several weeks. Fun though, but I didn't like having to wrap the whole darn thing with "wood grain"...I'll be seeing those little lines, and lines, and lines for weeks.

UrsusPistol.jpg

Wow, that Ape Pistol looks great, it sure must have been a pain to wrap it in wood grain, you did a great job!

The general and his troops!
IMG_6509_Neca_Stickman_Apes.jpg

Not sure if these were posted:

Gorillas on patrol through the city streets:
IMG_6462_Neca_Stickman_Apes.jpg

General Aldo near the Lawgiver:
IMG_6437_Neca_Stickman_Apes.jpg

Group shot outside the museum:
IMG_6425%20-%20Version%202_Neca_Stickman_Apes.jpg

Inside the museum getting charged with heresy:
IMG_6415_Adam_Odell_Stickman_Neca_ClassicPOTA.jpg

I could probably find more.

Beautiful shots! Can you reveal how you got the adobe finish on your dioramas? I've been planning something similar, using basic card shapes covered in household crack filler......

Beautiful shots! Can you reveal how you got the adobe finish on your dioramas? I've been planning something similar, using basic card shapes covered in household crack filler......

Oxnard, I used a flour and water paste and some paper bags

Amazing photos, stickman! Thanks for the kind words about the pistol...I actually studied planks of wood to see what would happen to grain in a 360-degree pattern!

I just picked up a Zira yesterday at a comic store I passed on my travels...now I have them all, with multiple gorillas. I put the Medicom Ultra-Detail "Slave" Taylor with one of them, with the people catcher around Taylor's neck. It doesn't look bad, scale-wise, especially if I crouch the soldier and turn his head in a full-on ape stance. Taylor's kind of static, but as well as the apes' joints are all hidden, I'm kind of glad he looks "smooth."

ApeTaylor.jpg

Unfortunately, Charlton Heston in real life towered over his simian captors.

bdde6082b7a8b91e13222c3f8754e2a5.jpg

Back