NECA - Planet of the Apes

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amazing photos, stickman! Thanks for the kind words about the pistol...I actually studied planks of wood to see what would happen to grain in a 360-degree pattern!

I just picked up a Zira yesterday at a comic store I passed on my travels...now I have them all, with multiple gorillas. I put the Medicom Ultra-Detail "Slave" Taylor with one of them, with the people catcher around Taylor's neck. It doesn't look bad, scale-wise, especially if I crouch the soldier and turn his head in a full-on ape stance. Taylor's kind of static, but as well as the apes' joints are all hidden, I'm kind of glad he looks "smooth."

View attachment 249440

Unfortunately, Charlton Heston in real life towered over his simian captors.

View attachment 249472

Sure thing HerryGrail!

Taylor%20and%20Gorilla.jpg

Taylor will need to be more dynamic than that Medicom version. That figure is just too static like you said.

Taylor will need to be more dynamic than that Medicom version. That figure is just too static like you said.

That piece is really cool! Love the "grabby" feet. That first NECA soldier had a similar look, like it was an artist's interpretation that minimized accuracy to the makeup for a more direct simian feel. The subsequent ones were truer to the film. It's good to have both, and they look good together.

This was lots of fun! I soaked the heads in a little hot water and switched them out, then after painting the face I gave it a clear shiny sealer coat to get that wet-face gorilla look, and sprayed a little matte finish on the silver parts of the helmet to hopefully keep them secure.

Thanks for the tip on the German figure for the gun and holster, which I trimmed and attached to the modified gun belt with a metal clip that holds the belt in place as well.

I tried to shadow certain parts of the face gently to suggest a likeness to Mark Lenard's own makeup, and I put a small black pupil on the existing eye paint (which is a flat brown) to make them pop.

These NECA figures are so great...here's hoping for more!

Urko1.jpg

Urko2.jpg

Ooh very nice Urko! Its a pity that I can't try this myself. It cost me a small fortune to get the only Aldo I have (a very kind freak sent me one here to the UK for cost and shipping, but I'm on a budget and couldn't afford another, let alone another Ursus!). - but I do get a vicarious thrill looking at other folks mods!

Thanks Oxnard! I actually got lucky with a couple of loose figure pickups, and know I was fortunate to get them.

Beautiful! Great job Herry!

I stopped into TRU today and found an 8" gorilla hanging on the hook. I scanned the price hoping to see the $7.99 but instead got $29.99. They must be selling!

Beautiful! Great job Herry!

Thanks, stickman! Here's a truer picture...the others were kind of bright.

The TRU sale ended in February; unfortunately I was about a week late to the start of it, and when I got to my stores everything was gone. (I didn't realize I had to come here before I got new messages, darn it, so I missed everyone's alerts.) However, I've benefited a little from the slight reduction in online and toy show prices that followed.

UrkoNECA.jpg

Last edited:
A Tumbir bump

Sallah, you should include the username or website with the pictures you post. Who made those Alan and Verdon figures? What did they use for the base figure?

Here are a few random Spring shots:

IMG_0640.jpg

IMG_0605.jpg

IMG_0571.jpg

IMG_0541.jpg

IMG_0533.jpg

IMG_0513_1.jpg

IMG_0475.jpg

IMG_0481_1.jpg

IMG_0497_1.jpg

I love your pics stick. Just makes me sad to see this thread bump and nothing new to come our way. :(

Yup, awesome pics. So wish Neca would have continued the line or at least released Julius and the Orangutan for more army building.

I so agree, I really wanted Julius. The ape line at NECA was hands down my favorite. I have all of the figures they released including the Lawgiver statue.

I so agree, I really wanted Julius. The ape line at NECA was hands down my favorite. I have all of the figures they released including the Lawgiver statue.

It's too bad they didn't do a Lawgiver vision bleeding variant.

Back