NECA - Planet of the Apes

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After seeing that ugly screaming face Caesar we are getting in wave 2 I went ahead and started to paint mine normal skin tones. The pics don't really pick up the paint but these sculpts are so good he looks alive. Neca killed it.

24gojmr.jpg

345hqtx.jpg

i hope we get many taylors. i mean we got 2 dr zaius already i dont see the high demand for 2 waves in a row but still cool i guess.

The other NECA Caesar coming out looks AWESOME! Easily there best likeness yet. Hopefully the line product will come close to match this:

10487221_10203197991364066_953628687633945298_n.jpg

Last edited:
Look what we found at TRU today.

(Again sorry for the rotation problem... I'm working on it.)

Attachments

• IMG_9697.JPG
    IMG_9697.JPG
    493.7 KB · Views: 347
PZ Congrats to you and your son for being the first to score these figures! Will you or he be opening them? How do they look, what do you think of them? How is their articulation, paint aps? Please give us your review, it would be most welcome. Thank you.

After seeing that ugly screaming face Caesar we are getting in wave 2 I went ahead and started to paint mine normal skin tones. The pics don't really pick up the paint but these sculpts are so good he looks alive. Neca killed it.

24gojmr.jpg

345hqtx.jpg

i hope we get many taylors. i mean we got 2 dr zaius already i dont see the high demand for 2 waves in a row but still cool i guess.

This is the figure that I would want. The movie's strongest moments were not of an angry Ceasar, but a thoughtful one. This re-paint reflects this and looks great!

Great work, rocco!

Got Maurice outside for a couple pics today...

I hope "wave 2" is successful enough that NECA will consider a "wave 3"....would love to see Rocket and Blue Eyes.

Really impressed with the stuff at the con....go ape, NECA! :)

24gojmr.jpg

345hqtx.jpg

This is the figure that I would want. The movie's strongest moments were not of an angry Ceasar, but a thoughtful one. This re-paint reflects this and looks great!

Couldn't agree more, that is a great paint mod! :clap

I can't tell you how nice it is to see classic POTA items on the shelf at TRU! :clap

The figures themselves (which cost $18.99 each) are about what I expected. Here's a breakdown of each offering:

Let's start with the good doctor himself... as you all know, my favorite character... Dr. Zaius. For some reason, they painted his muzzle the same color as his hair which is VERY distracting. I might consider getting him repainted. The head sculpt itself is quite good I think it's MUCH better than the Medicom Zaius. However what really throws the head sculpt off is the decision to sculpt the hair and bangs as a separate piece from the rest of the headsculpt. This makes the bangs VERY thick and there is a slight gap between the head and hair. The bangs should lay flat against his forehead so it should be part of the head sculpt. And looking at the new Zaius from Wave 2 (for which I think his robe glyphs are too short), it looks like they have learned from their mistake. As for articulation, NECA has hid the joints well. However doing so limits the range of articulation quite a bit... and this goes for all of the figures. But I had NO problem getting the figures to sport the signature ape slouch.

Cornelius: I think this is my favorite figure in this wave... Cornelius was my favorite character growing up, so I have a soft spot for the chimp. The detail in the clothing is top notch.... they make the brown bib with the glyph on the tunic look a lot like leather. I still have an issue with Cornelius looking so angry but there is no mistaking who he is... but I think NECA did a better job in attaining the likeness of Roddy with their upcoming Caesar figure. And like the original Chimp makeup application from the first film, the base color of the face is a dark color and they added the flesh coloring over it. Unfortunately this gives rise to a range of paint variations when it comes to this figure. Of the five Corneliuses I saw, two of them had too many dark areas. So hopefully you will be able to pick and choose your Cornelius carefully.

Gorilla Soldier: I'm sure this one will be THE fan favorite. And of all of the figures, this one had the least issues in regard to paint apps. All of the gorillas I saw were worth purchasing. One nit to pick, I wish he was able to actually hold the gun with his fingers in the trigger hole.

General issues:

I wish there were more accessories. There is NO reason that this particular version of Dr. Zaius should not come with the human doll. And the accessories we DO get I have issues with. Both Zaius and Cornelius come with scrolls which they both have a hard time holding. Zaius comes with a cane yet I don't remember him using it when he was in the Forbidden Zone. Just sayin'. The gorilla has no issues in this regard... though an addition of a bullwhip or man catcher would have been nice. Seeing that the gorilla comes with a switch out hand, it occurred to me that it would have been cool if NECA offered more hand options for all of the figures.

After only posing them for awhile, I noticed that a bit of the paint in or around the joints was scraping off. So the paint application may not be so durable. Would have been a plus to cast the plastic in the desired colors.

Overall a VERY good first effort. I can't wait to see how this line develops. While my son was picking out the best paint jobs on each figure, another customer came behind us and bought a set as well. So hopefully that is a good omen that this line will be successful.

Last edited:
I can't tell you how nice it is to see classic POTA items on the shelf at TRU! :clap

The figures themselves (which cost $18.99 each) are about what I expected. Here's a breakdown of each offering:

Let's start with the good doctor himself... as you all know, my favorite character... Dr. Zaius. For some reason, they painted his muzzle the same color as his hair which is VERY distracting. I might consider getting him repainted. The head sculpt itself is quite good I think it's MUCH better than the Medicom Zaius. However what really throws the head sculpt off is the decision to sculpt the hair and bangs as a separate piece from the rest of the headsculpt. This makes the bangs VERY thick and there is a slight gap between the head and hair. The bangs should lay flat against his forehead so it should be part of the head sculpt. And looking at the new Zaius from Wave 2 (for which I think his robe glyphs are too short), it looks like they have learned from their mistake. As for articulation, NECA has hid the joints well. However doing so limits the range of articulation quite a bit... and this goes for all of the figures. But I had NO problem getting the figures to sport the signature ape slouch.

Cornelius: I think this is my favorite figure in this wave... Cornelius was my favorite character growing up, so I have a soft spot for the chimp. The detail in the clothing is top notch.... they make the brown bib with the glyph on the tunic look a lot like leather. I still have an issue with Cornelius looking so angry but there is no mistaking who he is... but I think NECA did a better job in attaining the likeness of Roddy with their upcoming Caesar figure. And like the original Chimp makeup application from the first film, the base color of the face is a dark color and they added the flesh coloring over it. Unfortunately this gives rise to a range of paint variations when it comes to this figure. Of the five Corneliuses I saw, two of them had too many dark areas. So hopefully you will be able to pick and choose your Cornelius carefully.

Gorilla Soldier: I'm sure this one will be THE fan favorite. And of all of the figures, this one had the least issues in regard to paint apps. All of the gorillas I saw were worth purchasing. One nit to pick, I wish he was able to actually hold the gun with his fingers in the trigger hole.

General issues:

I wish there were more accessories. There is NO reason that this particular version of Dr. Zaius should not come with the human doll. And the accessories we DO get I have issues with. Both Zaius and Cornelius come with scrolls which they both have a hard time holding. Zaius comes with a cane yet I don't remember him using it when he was in the Forbidden Zone. Just sayin'. The gorilla has no issues in this regard... though an addition of a bullwhip or man catcher would have been nice. Seeing that the gorilla comes with a switch out hand, it occurred to me that it would have been cool if NECA offered more hand options for all of the figures.

After only posing them for awhile, I noticed that a bit of the paint in or around the joints was scraping off. So the paint application may not be so durable. Would have been a plus to cast the plastic in the desired colors.

Overall a VERY good first effort. I can't wait to see how this line develops. While my son was picking out the best paint jobs on each figure, another customer came behind us and bought a set as well. So hopefully that is a good omen that this line will be successful.

do you have pics? im waiting for my TRU order now. i cannot wait for the classic ones!

puting dr zaius in the first two waves was a mistake i feel though, i can see him peg warming. hope it doesn't hurt the line.

Looking forward to your photos Protozaius!

...and if you'd asked me a couple years ago if we'd ever see some well-rendered figures of the characters from the classic films back on store shelves, well...I would've shook my habd and said "not likely".

So glad to be proven wrong....

Back