NECA - ED-209

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sad News for Robocop 2 Baddie:(

qu8aheju.jpg

Frankly, when I see what they've done with ED-209, I don't think Neca is a company who can make something as complex as Robocain. It's way above what they can deliver.
It's a good thing they stay away from it.

Frankly, when I see what they've done with ED-209, I don't think Neca is a company who can make something as complex as Robocain.
It's a good thing they stay away from it.

Your probably right , the profit for them for a complexed piece is not going to go well.I would love to see it though.Thank god for the queen coming!!

Didn't they flat out say they won't do a Murphy reveal?

If Cain is out of the question, the only possible deluxe I could think of would be a damaged Murphy and blown up ED legs.

No wait. There's more.

What about Robo in his chair? I don't want it, but it lets them re-use the mold and it's a "deluxe" piece.

Robo with flight pack....but that's from 3 and he said he hates 3, right?

ED 209 is not perfect. The reasons I and other collectors are disappointed are not BS. For the money I paid and the amount of anticipation I had, it was a real letdown once I finally unboxed him and had him in my hand.

But if you read my critique you would have noticed that I am still thrilled to own this piece despite its flaws.

This toy is a dream come true for me, literally decades in the making. Like any other child of the 80s, I LOVED RoboCop. I wasn't allowed to see it until it aired on television, edited for content. My parents were probably right that it was too violent for a 9 year old. I mean come on, this movie was hyper violent! But I loved the designs...Robo and ED just screamed out for TOYS! Why couldn't I have toys of these characters?

Yes, Kenner finally made some, but they were cartoony, rounded, soft. Even as a kid, I knew the difference. Cool? Sure. But I knew it wasn't what I saw on the screen or in the movie posters.

I think it was around 1989 or 1990 that I was at a local hobby shop near my comic book store. In a display they had the Horizon model kits for ED and Robo. I was mesmerized. I begged my dad for them but they were way too expensive, not to mention the fact that neither one of us had any skills at assembling or painting models.

Flash forward many years. It's 2000. I'm about to graduate from college and I decide to make an offer to the Comic Book Guy that runs the campus comic store. I offer him $50 for the pair of ED and Robo Horizon kits that I've watched gather dust in the rafters of his store for the last four years. He takes it and I walk out of there with brand new unassembled kits that I've wanted for over a decade.

I took the plunge and carefully cut the pieces and assembled them. The Robo sculpt is particularly stunning, especially the Peter Weller portrait. And then I had two assembled soft vinyl kits, all in white. Cause there was no way I would dare to mess these up with my non-existant painting skills. I was surprised to see how they were out of scale with each other though. Still...I sure wish I had been able to have them in full color.

Eventually they went in the closet and I moved to Japan. Around 2004 I was thrilled to get the McF Robo, which up to that point was my favorite figure of the character. But he's totally incomplete without ED. And I compared him to the Horizon ED but that one was slightly oversized, not to mention mine has no paint.

So now we have NECA. Initially I passed on their Robo cause the McF was always good enough for me. But I got the holster version anyway and I'm glad I did. McF still has the better paint, but I like the chest armor and arms better on NECA, and of course the holster is the icing on the cake.

So now here's my shelf. ED 209 facing off against RoboCop is mortal combat. Both figures articulated, fully painted and accurate, and in scale with one another. Pretty much my dream come true ever since first seeing the trailer for the movie back in 1987. So no, he's certainly not perfect but he exists, and he looks amazing on my shelf and I'm thrilled beyond words about both of those facts!

(So come on NECA...if you make Cain, I'll buy it. And please make a Murphy reveal Robo, even if it only resembles Peter Weller in passing...I'll buy that too!!)

Attachments

• horizon.JPG
    horizon.JPG
    15.9 KB · Views: 316
  • neca.jpg
    neca.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 324
Great Story Bro :') I'm like you, these Figures are all about Nostalgia:) I'm just happy to have both Robocop and ED and Not have to pay high prices. I'm Glad NECA did them and hope to see more from them soon.

Is it me or the grey finish of the proto was replaced by the blue pearlesent of the final product?

Yeah I was surprised at the finish when I finally had mind in hand. Looks great though!

NECA doesn't have the likeness rights to do Weller. Unless that changes, a helmet-less version isn't happening. Randy has also said he doesn't like Robocop 2 much and doesn't have any interest in doing Cain.

Regarding the complaints about reviews not focusing on the negative. There are negative parts and I mentioned them in my review. People spin them differently though. Personally the more hollow parts to me make sense. It lessens the fear that over time, the weight will put stress on the joints. I'm fine with that. Everyone is entitled to their opinions however. So if you find you don't like that. That's fine. The price is reflected in the fact they couldn't get their largest retailer (toys r us) to carry this. It's reasonable to surmise that if they could have gotten that to happen, costs would have gone down some. Many of you people don't have any understanding of how strong retailers determine things. You have to take all this into consideration when doing a professional review and nor coming off as just an entitled, whiney fan. We're all passionate about these things we collect. But much larger forces determine things. We're lucky we even got this. As Randy pointed out...he's been trying for years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NECA doesn't have the likeness rights to do Weller. Unless that changes, a helmet-less version isn't happening. Randy has also said he doesn't like Robocop 2 much and doesn't have any interest in doing Cain.

Regarding the complaints about reviews not focusing on the negative. There are negative parts and I mentioned them in my review. People spin them differently though. Personally the more hollow parts to me make sense. It lessens the fear that over time, the weight will put stress on the joints. I'm fine with that. Everyone is entitled to their opinions however. So if you find you don't like that. That's fine. The price is reflected in the fact they couldn't get their largest retailer (toys r us) to carry this. It's reasonable to surmise that if they could have gotten that to happen, costs would have gone down some. Many of you people don't have any understanding of how strong retailers determine things. You have to take all this into consideration when doing a professional review and nor coming off as just an entitled, whiney fan. We're all passionate about these things we collect. But much larger forces determine things. We're lucky we even got this. As Randy pointed out...he's been trying for years.

What do you mean "you people?" ;-)

Seriously though, amen man!!

I wouldn't so much have a review 'focussed' on the negative but I do like to see them brought up if there are some.

Nevertheless on most of your points, fair enough.

Good to hear.

It was mentioned earlier in the thread that the UK retailers were due to have him in next week so hopefully I should have him soon as well.

Back