NECA Dawn of the Planet of the Apes Figures S1

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hobby-Galaxy

Super Freak
Reaction score
Thought I saw a thread on this before but could not find it...

The shipment just arrived so took a quick look. The sculpture is top notch, but since these are a bunch of shirtless apes, so nothing you haven't seen before (zoo, TV). What is really worth noting is the paint job, it is outstanding (in terms of 7" figure), something NECA is typically not known for. Even those tiny eyeballs are well painted, sparkling with life. These cell phone pics don't do them justice.

20140514_233351.jpg

20140514_232743.jpg

20140514_233018.jpg

Last edited:
Re: NECA Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes Figure Set S1

Excellent shots!! Eyes look great and alive!! Looking forward to making these purchases (hopefully soon)

Re: NECA apes

Sorry. I merged this thread with the other NECA Apes thread and noticed that was 100% Classic Apes. I've unmerged it and I lost the title so I retitled it. If you'd like Hobby-Galaxy you can rename the thread back to what it was.

Re: NECA apes

Yeah, I did not post in that thread because I too saw that it's about the classic one. I do think I saw a thread on the new one a while ago, just could no longer find it...

I bought these today in Hong Kong. Amazing sculpts and paint job. Though I still had to go through a few before deciding the final ones to purchase. Some of them had some paint overflow in their eyes, a bit washy.
Overall though, a great start. Look forward to the classics the most. More Apes in 2014!!!

True, but NECA has improved a lot with their recent releases (Pacific Rim, Aliens, Predators) in almost all aspects - paint, sculpting and articulation. Although Four Horsemen is still by far my favorite 7" action figure maker, NECA is quickly soaring to the top spot especially after considering the price (that's why I'm not counting the Japanese ones).

These guys look great, but all my local TRU's are charging 24 dollars each. I'll just be picking them up online.

Toys R Us in Canada don’t sell movie related action figure. I am also finding that a couple collectable store will not carry this line. Business are being very careful of what they are bringing in.

Just came back from Toys R Us and they did have the Dawn figures. Boy was there a wide range of paints apps on those figures especially the ones that sport the war paint. Of the 6 Caesars I found only one I would buy. I found no Korba figures worth buying and they had 5. As for Maurice, the only issue I saw with him was his eyes, but I found three that were passable out of 5. I found a few Caesars and Korbas that were looking off to the side.

This makes me nervous for the Classic wave since I pre-ordered them on line. I guess in a pinch, I could do the dishonest thing and purchase good versions at the store and return any of the badly painted back to that store.

WTH $21.99 at Toys R Us. That's nuts regular 7" Neca figures. Pass for me unless I can find them cheaper elsewhere. As Protozaius mentioned, paint greatly varies and out of all the 6 Ceasars they had I wouldn't buy any one of them anyway. Either the paint on the chest was too faded or the chest paint was off center or both. The other two seemed to have great paint jobs though. Not worth $21.99 though.

My Toys R Us only had Caesar and the one I bought had no issues. So I'm pretty happy. Now Toys R Us needs to get the Godzilla figures in.

I had no plan to get these (though the Classics are a must) because I haven't even SEEN the new POTA movie! But, they just called to me. They just looked really nice in-store. My TRU had them tagged at $21.99, but when I scanned them they were $18.99. So that sold them for me.

I am a bit sad that their articulation is greatly hindered by the sculpts. There are times when you wonder why they bothered to put such a full joint in there when you can't really get the movement out of it. But you can still get some cool poses. I just wish you could make them more crouched.

Toys R Us in Canada don’t sell movie related action figure. I am also finding that a couple collectable store will not carry this line. Business are being very careful of what they are bringing in.

Toys r us in Canada doesnt do Neca very well at all... :lol

What city do you live in?

Back