Action Figure NECA: Blade Runner 2049 Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it may be billed as a sequel but I have a sneaking suspicion that it will somehow end up being a seboot or requel....with enough aspects to classify it as a sequel but it's really nothing more than a remake....Granted I have not seen Arrival yet I do want to, but seeing how all hollywood seems to be doing is reboot/sequels lately, it's not a leap of faith to think this may be the same. I sure hope not, and I agree, the original didn't 'need' a sequel. I'm glad they at least got Ford to come back for it.

You have nothing to back this up really... It's 30 years after the first one, Harrison Ford as Deckard is in it and rumors say another of the original replicants.
And Arrival is the best movie of 2016, period.

You have nothing to back this up really... It's 30 years after the first one, Harrison Ford as Deckard is in it and rumors say another of the original replicants.
And Arrival is the best movie of 2016, period.

I didn't say it would be, it's my suspicion that it may end up that way. Technically Jurassic World was a 'sequel' but it's nothing more than a reboot/remake in my eyes. TFA is a sequel, but it's again Episode IV all over again. Yes BR 2049 set 30yrs in future, we'd all think that means direct sequel. Again as I said I hope that's what they do, but you do have to ask yourself, why make a sequel to it after so long? It's nearly 40 yrs since the original came out....

I didn't say it would be, it's my suspicion that it may end up that way. Technically Jurassic World was a 'sequel' but it's nothing more than a reboot/remake in my eyes. TFA is a sequel, but it's again Episode IV all over again. Yes BR 2049 set 30yrs in future, we'd all think that means direct sequel. Again as I said I hope that's what they do, but you do have to ask yourself, why make a sequel to it after so long? It's nearly 40 yrs since the original came out....

They have been planning to do a sequel ever since the first one came out. Finally they did. No reason to worry. ;-)

The trailer looked great and the filmmaker is obviously very talented based upon his previous work...the real question is do we need a Blade Runner sequel at all, especially a lifetime after the release of the original...? The movie was a self contained work of art that kind of said everything that it needed to say....not every masterpiece needs to become a franchise. How many film buffs are celebrating the multiple sequels to Jaws right now? Maybe once he wraps post production on Blade Runner 2049 Villeneuve can fast track pre-production on Vertigo 2049, Wizard of Oz 2049, and Casablanca 2049.

The trailer looked great and the filmmaker is obviously very talented based upon his previous work...the real question is do we need a Blade Runner sequel at all, especially a lifetime after the release of the original...? The movie was a self contained work of art that kind of said everything that it needed to say....not every masterpiece needs to become a franchise. How many film buffs are celebrating the multiple sequels to Jaws right now? Maybe once he wraps post production on Blade Runner 2049 Villeneuve can fast track pre-production on Vertigo 2049, Wizard of Oz 2049, and Casablanca 2049.
I agree with you, that Blade Runner is a film that didn't need a sequel, at all. It is a great example of the kind of film that stands on its own as a classic and massively influential film, with a beginning, middle, and satisfying (albeit somewhat ambiguous) end.

Having said all that, I'm going to attempt to treat this film with an open mind, and see if they can prove to me that a sequel is justified. The director is one of the best out there, and it has Ford and Gosling--one of the best actors out there. The tone in the trailer feels totally right. A lot of ways this can go wrong, but we'll see. In the eighties, I'm sure the idea of a sequel to the Eastwood Dollars trilogy would have seemed ridiculous, but Unforgiven (a kind of unofficial sequel to those and other Eastwood westerns) arguably exceeded many of its predecessors. And I would argue that Fury Road holds up to even the magnificent Road Warrior. But for each of those, you have 5 or 10 The Two Jakes, Star Wars prequels, or Godfather 3s. So the odds aren't in its favor IMO.

No, Blade Runner did not need a sequel. Not at all. BUT now that we ARE getting one, be happy that all the absolute best people are on it! 2010 did not make 2001 less of a masterpiece. No matter how BR2049 turns out it won't make BR less of a masterpiece either.

I was wildly underwhelmed by the trailer, didn't scream of the obsessiveness & hunger of a young firebrand director, and a production department driven to deliver a what was then and remains a singular vision - which is what you see in every frame of the original.

And while I of course didn't really expect to see any of that in this sequel, it was still disappointing to feel no sense of that from the trailer. But, as slikkerias says, it can't detract from the original (or, if I'm being pedantic, the Director's & Final Cuts, which were my preference), so it's neither here nor there really :)

At this point, I'm really hoping Duncan Jones' Mute - finally in development as a film after all this time (now he's established, I suppose) - will scratch my Blade Runner itch in the way it's always sounded like it would. Nothing worse than having an itch you can never scratch.

I was wildly underwhelmed by the trailer, didn't scream of the obsessiveness & hunger of a young firebrand director, and a production department driven to deliver a what was then and remains a singular vision - which is what you see in every frame of the original.

And while I of course didn't really expect to see any of that in this sequel, it was still disappointing to feel no sense of that from the trailer. But, as slikkerias says, it can't detract from the original (or, if I'm being pedantic, the Director's & Final Cuts, which were my preference), so it's neither here nor there really :)

At this point, I'm really hoping Duncan Jones' Mute - finally in development as a film after all this time (now he's established, I suppose) - will scratch my Blade Runner itch in the way it's always sounded like it would. Nothing worse than having an itch you can never scratch.

I totally disagree with your view on the trailer. I found myself almost in tears. I think, if you have a Blade Runner itch you cannot scratch, you'll feel total relief on October 19th (...if that's the correct date of the premiere?) Yes, I'm optimistic;-)

I agree with you, that Blade Runner is a film that didn't need a sequel, at all. It is a great example of the kind of film that stands on its own as a classic and massively influential film, with a beginning, middle, and satisfying (albeit somewhat ambiguous) end.

Having said all that, I'm going to attempt to treat this film with an open mind, and see if they can prove to me that a sequel is justified. The director is one of the best out there, and it has Ford and Gosling--one of the best actors out there. The tone in the trailer feels totally right. A lot of ways this can go wrong, but we'll see. In the eighties, I'm sure the idea of a sequel to the Eastwood Dollars trilogy would have seemed ridiculous, but Unforgiven (a kind of unofficial sequel to those and other Eastwood westerns) arguably exceeded many of its predecessors. And I would argue that Fury Road holds up to even the magnificent Road Warrior. But for each of those, you have 5 or 10 The Two Jakes, Star Wars prequels, or Godfather 3s. So the odds aren't in its favor IMO.

:goodpost:

I totally disagree with your view on the trailer. I found myself almost in tears. I think, if you have a Blade Runner itch you cannot scratch, you'll feel total relief on October 19th (...if that's the correct date of the premiere?) Yes, I'm optimistic;-)

I am remaining optimistic about 2049 too...but I would say that if you have a Blade Runner itch pop in the excellent Blu Ray set! :)

Well yes. The boxset is obviously brilliant. To be honest, I probably watch Dangerous Days - all of it - more often than I watch the actual film :lol It makes no difference that there's nothing unknown in there on repeated viewings, it's just a brilliant watch.

If you have not read a book called "Future Noir" yet I highly recommend it too!

Yeah, I'd read Future Noir. Some years ago I'm pretty sure he'd said he was updating it again (what with the Final Cut) but doesn't seem to have happened. Wonder if there will be an updated one following the sequel.

To be honest, much as Future Noir is of course good, I've found the combination of the Cinefex issue (which i think was made available as a book in the end) and then the mountain of stuff on the boxset does the job :) I'm a graphic designer, so obviously I can't read and prefer to see pretty pictures really :wink1:

Before that boxset we had a documentary here in the UK ("On The Edge Of Blade Runner,"), which was really the first lengthy documentary on the film. Think that was about 99, 2000. Altho it's all covered by the boxset material now, I remember it being still worth a watch - almost as a condensed version, as it were. Obviously out there on YouTube somewhere..

Back