NECA 1/4 scale predator

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank goodness it wasn't just me. I was looking back at pictures of the Spawn 'Viking Age' figures I used to get when I was still young enough to break stuff. They always looked amazing, whereas the only thing 7" NECA paint is usually consistent in is slop. Maybe it's the economy or lower budgeting, I don't know. The fact is McFarlane was (not sure if they still are) cleaner. Look at their painted netting, for instance. McF rarely puts out a figure where it's clear the painters made some sort of mistake.

Last edited:
Awesome Lars! lol just saw your comments on youtube im surprised you are here but awesome!! welcome to the freaks!!! and glad you got one of these guys! which one did you get?
Ordered the masked version but after watching your other review I think I'm going to have to pull the trigger on the open mouth as well!

Hi guys,

couldn't resist to show you he's hunting in Belgium too !

Predatorsmall.jpg

Thank goodness it wasn't just me. I was looking back at pictures of the Spawn 'Viking Age' figures I used to get when I was still young enough to break stuff. They always looked amazing, whereas the only thing 7" NECA paint is usually consistent in is slop. Maybe it's the economy or lower budgeting, I don't know. The fact is McFarlane was (not sure if they still are) cleaner. Look at their painted netting, for instance. McF rarely puts out a figure where it's clear the painters made some sort of mistake.

Yeah its probably more than one thing factoring in but NECAs paint has, for years, been behind what McFarlane's was like back in the day. Like you I'm not sure what their paint is like today because they haven't made a single thing of interest to me since Movie Maniacs 7 whenever that was.

Yeah its probably more than one thing factoring in but NECAs paint has, for years, been behind what McFarlane's was like back in the day. Like you I'm not sure what their paint is like today because they haven't made a single thing of interest to me since Movie Maniacs 7 whenever that was.

Agreed. NECAs paint has always been bad. Beautiful sculpts buried under slopped on paint. You can have the most accurate sculpt in the world, but for me, paint counts towards accuracy. It's usually little things that were just unnecessary. Done for detail, but end up making it worse.

I almost bought a Duke Nukem...but passed because they all looked terrible.

I'm thankful this guy came out good. A few issues...but overall, it's pretty perfect.

Whatever shortcomings NECA may have had in the past regarding paint apps they took a few steps in the right direction with these Preds IMO.

l think the non masked versions needs a repaint. there was a memeber many pages back that painted half the head. the difference was night and day. the head repainted looks beautiful. this guy is still to pale yellow looking.

I'm not so sure about that and really it's figure by figure thing with McFarlane and us. The Ash made me want to cry and the P1 and Alien 2 pack was even worse. McFarlane uses the same factories we've used and they have to go though the same crap as we do. What they do now days is try to use less paint apps to save money. At least with us you get a P2 that will at least look like P2 sculpt wise. I think we'll get a better and more accurate paint job on him than McFarlane P2. I guess we'll see and in any case I want 19 inch P2. I'm a fan of these bigger figures and it's easier to get a good paint job on them. To me the all time worse painted figure has to be the McFarlane 12 inch P1. Oh well that figure is ready to go hide now that the king is here. I'm hoping P2 will get this 19 inch goodness.

Oh well that figure is ready to go hide now that the king is here. I'm hoping P2 will get this 19 inch goodness.

You are right , the KING is here and you guys at NECA really stepped it up and made an Awesome 1/4 scale representation of THE PREDATOR :clap I am 100% satisfied with my purchases :exactly:

Whatever shortcomings NECA may have had in the past regarding paint apps they took a few steps in the right direction with these Preds IMO.

There will still be some that are better and worse then others with our 7 inch figures. I'm happy with the Terminator stuff but I saw some Harry Potter stuff that look not so good. It seems the better factory did a really good job on this 19 inch P1. They have our 7 inch Predators and I'm hoping for the best. As far as P1 if you want to go WTF look at the McFarlane 12 inch P1. It would be nice if we did P2 that we'd just up the prise and get the paint even more effort because his paint job has a lot more design to it.

You are right , the KING is here and you guys at NECA really stepped it up and made an Awesome 1/4 scale representation of THE PREDATOR :clap I am 100% satisfied with my purchases :exactly:

It's really great to see just how nice it turned out. I wish our Alien would get this better production put on it. To me the original Predator would be the king of the 18 inch figures and I think it turned out that way. His design is just so very cool and should make for a great collectible action figure. I'm glad fans are geeked like I am over this figure. I'm greedy though because the P2 was a long hard effort sculpt and it would make my year to know it would get the up scale and not just the down scale.

What does the hot water mod do exactly? Loosen the dreads by melting the glue holding it together? It doesnt flare out the dreads like in the hot toys elder does it?

I think we'll get a better and more accurate paint job on him than McFarlane P2.

So you should. When was the McFarlane P2 released, 10 years ago?
Surely technology and techniques have improved since then.

You might as well be bragging that your current cell phone is smaller than the one you had 10 years ago. Not exactly a big achievement.

To the UK users that have the Masked version on order at Forbidden Planet.

When did you order yours ?. I only made my order on 4/5 and mine was dispatched on 31/5 .

As some may remember I was holding of to get him at a cheap price. FB had him at 40-50 originally that I missed out due to being a cheap SOB. The fact he was sent out so quick and that a few of you are still waiting makes me feel rather bad that as a late adopter I got him before any of you. (if you indeed ordered before me).

Luck, for once was on my side. If it makes you feel better I expect no more luck to occur to me for some time !. My legs are still killing me due to my dam arthritis so I will not have him in hand for a good few days yet.
Karma is a bitter sweet thing, how I hate her.

Back