NECA 1/4 scale predator

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Neca 1/4 Predator

Lord Freezer, as I already said, it's the matter of perspective...there is a difference if the picture is taken upclose, or from far away, zoomed in! You don't know the conditions these pictures were taken, and it's hard to make direct comparisons like you're trying, if the pictures aren't taken in the EXACT conditions!

But can't he try to ball park the idea of the size by making the 7" Predator the same size in each photos?

But can't he try to ball park the idea of the size by making the 7" Predator the same size in each photos?

Nope, tho it makes sense, it's matter of perspective and conditions in which picture was taken.

Take movies for example, many movies use forced perspective to make something really big, when i reality, it's actually small!

Even using different lenses on camera means big difference.

This is a great post taken from RPF, that explains what I'm talking about:
You hit the nail on the head there lambotour. Mverta showed us a superb animated gif that he put together using 3d software to illustrate just how alarming the proportions of something can be distorted due differences in focal length, distance of object from lens, type of lens used etc, etc. All these "side by side" comparisons are really inconclusive unless someone can take a picture of both helmets at the same place using the same equipment at the same angle and same camera / lens. I don't trust any comparison that is done with anything other than what is described above.
Rogue Studios got what many consider to be the ultimate Fett helmet casting but in the ebay pics, it looked WAY off due to the way it was photographed. Only when he had the helmet in hand was it revealed to be something special.

This PIH helmet certainly doesn't look like anything screen used or directly cast from a screen used, but comments about size cannot be backed up without physical measurement comparisons.

Just my opinion.

Chris

Same thing applies here as well.

Nope, tho it makes sense, it's matter of perspective and conditions in which picture was taken.

Take movies for example, many movies use forced perspective to make something really big, when i reality, it's actually small!

Even using different lenses on camera means big difference.

This is a great post taken from RPF, that explains what I'm talking about:

Same thing applies here as well.

Not exactly what I meant, I was trying to say, it wont be accurate but its better than no comparison and it satisfies him, so why go around trying to say "No, you can't do that." The chances that the comparisons are close are good, if the Predator was much bigger or smaller it would seem off, but since they are around the same size it allows him to ball park the size range. Thats all I mean, I got you the first time when you said perception was what mattered, but he still seems somewhat close to the actual size.

I canceled my order with BBTS for an Open Mouth and Masked Pred and ordered all three from AmokTime on sale for $199.99 :yess:.

Speaking of comparisions don't we already have what we need to accurately compare? I'm specifically talking about the 7 inch versions of both the ALIEN creature and the Predators Classic. Just stand those next to eachother and see the height difference. I'm sure when NECA sends the specifications to the factory, they must use the same equation to determine the proportions of the figure. I imagine the height differenct will be exactly the same between the 7 inch and the 1/4 scale figures.

Speaking of comparisions don't we already have what we need to accurately compare? I'm specifically talking about the 7 inch versions of both the ALIEN creature and the Predators Classic. Just stand those next to eachother and see the height difference. I'm sure when NECA sends the specifications to the factory, they must use the same equation to determine the proportions of the figure. I imagine the height differenct will be exactly the same between the 7 inch and the 1/4 scale figures.
yep.

Alien = ~8ft
8ft = 96in
96/4 = 24in
1/4 scale Alien = 24in

Predator = ~7.5ft
7.5ft = 90in
90/4 = 22.5in
1/4 scale Predator = 22.5in

looks right to me.

yep.

Alien = ~8ft
8ft = 96in
96/4 = 24in
1/4 scale Alien = 24in

Predator = ~7.5ft
7.5ft = 90in
90/4 = 22.5in

looks right to me.

Excellent!
Questions answered thanks again to rational thinking and mathematical equations!

I really hope so...

im almost postitive the Pred in film was 7'3, and i believe Hall was 7'2, so the 19in height is accurate to scale. The Pred maquette including base is like 24in tall, but he is not standing straight up either.

If the Predator was 7 feet tall in the movie, rounding for simplicity, then that'd be 84 inches tall, 1/4 of that being 21 inches.

If the Predator was 7 feet tall in the movie, rounding for simplicity, then that'd be 84 inches tall, 1/4 of that being 21 inches.

ahh.............just did the calculations again. Yep, yur right, this piece should be 21.75 inches tall though, so this is not accurate 1/4. I was wrong :lol

I think it's an industry thing to call the 18" scale 1/4, much like 12" as 1/6, whethere the piece is truly 1/4 or not. Many 1/6 figures are too tall or short for who they're supposed to be.

I canceled my order with BBTS for an Open Mouth and Masked Pred and ordered all three from AmokTime on sale for $199.99 :yess:.

What are the advantages of buying from AmokTime vs BBTS? I haven't bought from them before.

yea, i think thats cause they use a average height of what a certain character could be or something. This one is 19in tall, so its an inch taller than that 18in general type height thing and the HT Preds are 14in, so 2in taller than most of the human characters, but i'm sure some ppl in this thread are going nuts cause its not exactly 1/4 scale :lol.

he was definitely taller than 7ft. just the actor without the costume was taller than that. he'd have to be 7.5ft minimum with the costume. depends on which way you round, it could be closer 8ft.

he was definitely taller than 7ft. just the actor without the costume was taller than that. he'd have to be 7.5ft minimum with the costume. depends on which way you round, it could be closer 8ft.

he wasnt saying the Pred was 7ft tall, he was just using the number to make a point. The Predator in film defn was not closer to 8ft. The creature was 7'3-7'4 depending on your source.

yep.

Alien = ~8ft
8ft = 96in
96/4 = 24in
1/4 scale Alien = 24in

Predator = ~7.5ft
7.5ft = 90in
90/4 = 22.5in

looks right to me.

Doesn't that mean that both of NECA's 1/4 figures were out of scale from the beginning? Alien's too small and so is the Predator. Eh. As long as both are smaller, then they'll be proportionate to themselves. Not to other 1/4 pieces, but it'll work. These guys will hang out on the bottom shelf and I don't own any other large pieces.

he wasnt saying the Pred was 7ft tall, he was just using the number to make a point. The Predator in film defn was not closer to 8ft. The creature was 7'3-7'4 depending on your source.

Exactly and with KPH's height as a minimum, a 19" figure still isn't 1/4 scale, true size would only make it further from exactly 1/4 scale.

I really don't care about the scale, I use 1/4 scale because I'm used to calling 18" pieces that, all I care is it's a BIG, awesome looking representation of the original Predator.

Back