NECA: 1/4 Batman 1989 Michael Keaton figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh yeah, I forgot about that.

You had that bad tailoring on the lapels right? I remember Voorhees or someone else had the messy glue spots and someone else had bad clothes over all. That's bull**** that they didn't give you replacement parts.

I bought two from CSC. One was perfect but the second was a QC nightmare. I had holes in the back of the orange shirt, a broken True Type, no magnet in the head, and a few other things I can't remember. Thankfully, CSC sent me a brand new one, it was much better than the first. So I got two good ones instead of duds. Some of those articles of clothing are undoubtedly cheap though, like that orange shirt. It definitely seemed like Hot Toys compensated the quality for profit.

Still, I agree, Hot Toys Joker isn't indicative of what NECA would put out, sales or quality wise.

Part of me wonders if this won't be the area where HT and NECA first overlap. If MoS proves as successful as I think it will, I foresee Ht making a "companion piece" to their 1/4th scale Batman.

You had that bad tailoring on the lapels right? I remember Voorhees or someone else had the messy glue spots and someone else had bad clothes over all. That's bull**** that they didn't give you replacement parts.

Both coats were really messed up, the long coat had almost twice as much lapel on one side as the other, and the lapels on the short coat were done horribly so the coat didn't look good around the whole neck area, it was like wide open and goofy looking. As nice as their Joker looks for those that got a good one, the overall effort put into the whole run was sub-standard to HT, yet the price was above standard, and the only thing different about him from other figures is having to pay royalties direct to Nicholson for his likeness and whatever travel and other expenses were incurred in the approval process.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that.

I bought two from CSC. One was perfect but the second was a QC nightmare. I had holes in the back of the orange shirt, a broken True Type, no magnet in the head, and a few other things I can't remember. Thankfully, CSC sent me a brand new one, it was much better than the first. So I got two good ones instead of duds. Some of those articles of clothing are undoubtedly cheap though, like that orange shirt. It definitely seemed like Hot Toys compensated the quality for profit.

Still, I agree, Hot Toys Joker isn't indicative of what NECA would put out, sales or quality wise.

Think we'll ever get a 2.0 with Kato clothes? :lol

Part of me wonders if this won't be the area where HT and NECA first overlap. If MoS proves as successful as I think it will, I foresee Ht making a "companion piece" to their 1/4th scale Batman.

Yeah, but only if the licensor permits it. Notice how Enterbay's 1/4 Batman is released under the TDK banner even though he is in his BB suit. Sure he appears in a couple scenes of TDK wearing that suit, but it's not the suit that people think of when they think of TDK...especially since his "companion" piece is the Joker, and the two characters never share a scene with Batman in that suit.

I'm guessing the reason that Enterbay doesn't release a TDK-suit Batman is that they aren't allowed to. It seems like the deal is they get 1/4 BB-suit, Hot Toys gets 1/4 TDK-suit...and NECA gets 1/4 89 suit. Similarly, even if MoS is successful, probably only one company will get the rights to the figure on a particular scale.

As nice as their Joker looks for those that got a good one, the overall effort put into the whole run was sub-standard to HT, yet the price was above standard, and the only thing different about him from other figures is having to pay royalties direct to Nicholson for his likeness and whatever travel and other expenses were incurred in the approval process.

Yup. It was BS. As much as I love and enjoy the figure, I knew going in that it wasn't "worth" it. I remember at the time it debuted with the price, as excited I was, I couldn't believe it didn't have an extra head, beret and tie for atleast ONE more look. The value wasn't there. I'm just glad I didn't get crapped on with QC issues and customer service. I agree with everything.

Well, except that part about being different from other figures, now all figures are way too expensive for what they are. :lol

Then, the Jack Joker did start that trend.

Think we'll ever get a 2.0 with Kato clothes? :lol

I don't think we'll ever see the same "regular" purple suited Jack Joker again from Hot Toys. Well, I hope not. I wouldn't buy it. It'd probably be $300 at the rate Hot Toys' is going.

There is that "mob/civilian" Joker they have planned, which does interest me depending on what it is. Not that it's a done deal (we know how they are with these licenses), but if another Joker is planned, that'd be the one.

Personally, I think they should have jumped on the opportunity of including things like the flesh make up faces early on. Seemed like a no brainer.

As for NECA, we'll just have to wait and see. If they make a Nicholson Joker, I wouldn't expect them to increase the charge/retail to $120 for it and cut back on the quality like Hot Toys did.

I would just hope that if NECA is planning on it, they'd do something a little more stand out and different instead of this, again,

the_joker_jack_nicholson_desktop_1500x1763_hd-wallpaper-577891.jpg

Neca renewed my faith in collecting stuff I really don't need to survive.

It feels great to finally be getting a "good enough" (and 1/4 to boot) superhero figure under $100.00!

Think about that for a sec, under $100.00, 1/4 scale, in this hobby!

It got beyond crazy trying to navigate the realities of life while paying $300.00 for 1/6 superhero figures.

Too bad Neca didn't make 1/6 Batmobiles. :lol

Last edited:
Of course I rarely go back into threads after I recieve my items, this is the first I've heard about Jack Joker having issues. The 3 I have are perfect. Couldn't be happier. They were from the first shipment if that means anything. Guess I lucked out. Sure I went overbboard with how many bats and jokers I bought, but I look at them everyday and I am amazed how awesome they look. Well worth it.

As for Neca bats, I cant wait. More Burton Batman products the better.

Too bad Neca didn't make 1/6 Batmobiles. :lol

Get the Hot Wheels '89 Batmobile, they can be pricey now, but they look great, serve the purpose of getting an '89 Batmobile in your collection, and it's a lot less than the HT one, and far less space too, plus you can get others like the '66 Batmobile, the Tumbler.

I used to own the HW 89/Tumbler, I gave them to my nephew for his room, they were indeed very nice.

When it comes to vehicles, 1/6 is definately the way to go.

I just wish Neca gave us 1/6 vehicles with their famous savings, say around $250.00-$300.00.

Their vehicles would be no different in quality than HT, plastic is plastic.

HT just loves to gouge. :lol

My favorite toy Batmobile of all time is the '89 Batmobile by Kenner from the 1990 Dark Knight Collection toy line. Actually, it's probably my favorite Batmobile collectible period.

The body of the vehicle was great, it could seat Batman, and it had cool action features like the pop out exhaust flame and flip machine guns. It wasn't perfectly accurate, but I thought it killed the vehicles of it at the time. Waaaaay better than the Toy Biz one and the Kenner Batmissile Batmobile. I know people held the Batmissile in high regard, but I always thought it was a big, clunky POS.

I got old pics of all of mine somewhere, but they don't do it justice like this guy's,

Mobile+01.JPG

81SXjnFQEuL._SL1500_.jpg

Mobile+06.JPG

Mobile+07.JPG

Mobile+10.JPG

Mobile+18.JPG

Mobile+08.JPG

I like the 1:18 from Hot Toys, it's more accurate and packed with detail but, I dunno, I liked the shape of the Kenner one more and the fact that it was more of a "toy" and could actual have a figure sit in it.

Never had that one, had the Toy Biz and the Batmissile Kenner version, didn't even know that Dark Knight Collection one existed.

Never had that one, had the Toy Biz and the Batmissile Kenner version, didn't even know that Dark Knight Collection one existed.

My friends had the Toy Biz one. I remember messing around with it. I liked how it was a two seater but the clicker and lack of canopy bugged the crap out of me.

Funny thing about the Toy Biz vehicle is, Kenner used it as a stand in for their little Kenner product booklets back in 1990. Remember those?

e729c210-d328-012e-ad5d-0050569439b1.jpg

That's clearly the Toy Biz one with a makeshift canopy. Glad they made an all new version.

Back