My star wars customs, mods 'n wips..update 5/17 shocktrooper...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: my STAR WARS custom wips 'n other stuff..shock trooper + more wips...

Nice first try mate, better than my first shot at one , try using soldering wire sewn into the bottom fold it'll allow you to curl the corners around the legs to get that more natural look.

The Bly Kama is material very similar to yours ,or so it looks , just very weathered, though that won't be a problem for you LOL

As for the detailing on the helmet I'll chuck in a set of the transfers I use in with you parts, which I will be sending outThis week.
If you want too see what they look like

P2150853.jpg

oh yea..sweet...i need help figuring out how to repaint a plain white helmet...lol...having the hardest time...and the thing is, i spray painted it..so it's gonna be hard to touch up...

oh yea..sweet...i need help figuring out how to repaint a plain white helmet...lol...having the hardest time...and the thing is, i spray painted it..so it's gonna be hard to touch up...

Creative use of masking tape or decals :lol I'm still at the masking tape stage personally haha. You can get some great fine line stuff from model shops or real car body shops (used to paint lines on cars etc) its a stretchy, plastic like tape thats really thin

is it the grill pattern that you are finding hard? I'd suggest try and learn to decal that, might as well, unless you want to get the magnifying glass out to accompany the tape!

masking tape and spray paint will do then, just be sure that everything u dont want painted is totally covered! also for a phase 1 clone, they look cool with a gloss coat - have you thought of using an airbrush? I have a cheap little 1 that does bugger all but its revolutionised how I paint stuff, the quality is so much better than spray cans (and less smelly) and paint brushes

edit: im thinking of the imps with the gloss thing, clones seemed to be more satin!

i tried using semi satin spray paint and it sucked as far as covering the clone parts..so i switched to flat...BUt i do want to seal them and probably would try the satin or what have you...lol...

but all in all, im very pleased with how the parts have turned out so far...very clean and even...cant really tell that they were painted...lol..

ive used a cheapy airbrush in the past...but dont really have a place to use one now..sadly..until i redo my craft area a bit...so for now, it's outside with a spray can...lol..

Last edited:

I use a respirator mask by an open window but tbh with airbrush fumes you can get away with a fan being on near an open window, as actual paint fumes arent nearly as bad as spray paint ones. I get 2 cardboard box lids, 1 for the table top, 1 sticking up to catch overspray, tamiya paints mixed with tamiya thinner (about half and half, or 2 parts thinner to 3 parts paint usually), £17 airbrush and its easy! I've saved a lot of cash by not having to buy spray cans that I'd previously never finish and just have sitting around, although you will need air cans for the brush but not as frequently. I only use spray cans for primer.

Also I've noticed my tamiya white flat paint naturally comes out satin, especially with a bit of 2000 grade sand paper rubbing

in my current endeavors of repainting my clones with spray paint..ive decided to tear down my custom shadow clone and start working on repainting him...here's his leg so far...
i like it better so far...lol..
shadowleg.jpg

a bit more..the one with gray is how it will be, again...lol...
shadownewleg2.jpg

this is what he looked like..i just didnt like how he was looking..dont know why....BUT he's off to a better start this time around..
shadowcl1a.jpg

Last edited:
Re: my STAR WARS custom wips 'n other stuff..shadow trooper bash...

Looking good spider.

Sweet mate, just maybe a little darker on the grey, the originals are darker.

Second matt version looks so much better

the gray is actually darker then what it looks like...just a bad pic..lol

i really wanted to spray on the gray as well..but that would have been a lot of extra work, cuz i would have had to tape up everything..lol...once was enough...lol...BUt i do agree, i do like the matte paint much better...looks even better in person...if i were to seal it,(with a matte coat), what kind of stuff would i use? any suggestions? if i dont seal it, it should be fine, since i dont actually play with them...lol...

heres his helmet...ive painted in the gray since this pic....and i actually taped off the gray that was on the original helmet..so i wouldnt have to try and repaint it(on the sides/back)...
schelm1.jpg

Last edited:

I tend to use Humbrol Varnish cans available from mose hobbyists, a bit more expensive but I seem to get better results.

Nice to see I'm not the only one who ends up spraying their fingers as well :slap

Nice work mate

lol...i tend to do that a lot..but mostly try to put the pieces on something that i can hold onto..but was impatient last night..lol

I always pick stuff up and try and do fiddly things with it before the paint has even dried, had to do so many resprays because of that lol

this stuff has dried pretty fast..maybe due to the 100+ degree days we are having still...lol...and with the light coats...it goes pretty fast..i did all of his black last night in about an hour so so...so that's not too bad...and the gray went fast once my 2 year old was in bed..lol...ive still got details to do on his helmet and decide if i want to try and paint his visor red or not...id hate to ruin a nice paintjob...lol...

Re: my STAR WARS custom wips 'n other stuff..shock trooper done!!

finally took pics of my shock trooper...i wanted to actually buy this figure, but he's out of my price range..so i made my own...lol..anywho..

DSC01978.jpg

DSC01977.jpg

DSC01976.jpg

DSC01975.jpg

DSC01974.jpg

Back