My Christmas present arrived damaged (Captain America)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glyoung99

Super Freak
Reaction score
One of my personal grails is the Captain America EX PF. My girlfriend was wonderful enough to purchase him for me from eBay for Christmas. It cost her $653 after shipping.

Well the right wing on the modern head cracked and the fake steal magnetic beam that attaches to the base snapped in half during shipping.:banghead

FEDEX only insured $500 so after much thought I have decided to repair the damage and keep it instead of taking a $153 dollar loss and whatever the extra cost of buying a new one would be.

The beam was a clean break so I think I can repair that myself but I need someone to point me in the right direction on where/how/who can repair the wing for me. It's very small but I'm afraid that it's going to just fall off over time. any help is appreciated. Here are some pics.

First the wing
DSC03476.jpg

Now the beam
DSC03480.jpg

One of the wings on my Cap came cracked as well, but it was on the part that attaches to his head. I took a TINY bit of model gel, put it on the tip of a toothpick and put it into the crack. I then gently held the piece until the gel dried and now I can't even tell it was cracked.

A friend of mine had the same thing happen to him with his Cap. The left side wing cracked, he used some cyanoacrylate adhesive to repair the crack, lightly sanded down the wing then air-brushed it with white paint.

Couldn't tell it was ever cracked.

I'm thinking that the only way to fix this is to totaly break it off and then glue it back on. I'm just scared to do it myself. So model glue works huh? I think I'll go ask someone on the custom board if they can do it for me.

I have heard of this happening to a bunch of caps unfortunately. I am glad your damage is fixable. I will have to remember to pack mine up extremely well when i ship it.

I have learned a valuable lesson while trying to obtain out of stock items and that is to only deal with fellow collectors. Dealers do not take the extra care that a collector would.

I have learned a valuable lesson while trying to obtain out of stock items and that is to only deal with fellow collectors. Dealers do not take the extra care that a collector would.

Some dealers are great. It all really just depends I think. I remember trying to catch up in this line and it's tough if you have really high standards. First off, it seems that no item is ever perfect. Also, once an item has been opened and in some ones care for a while there is no telling what you might receive as the second owner.

I once received a Wolverine Comiquette that was in terrible shape but the owner claimed it was mint. The bottom of the base was torn up, the claws were severely bent, and the heads didn't fit in the slot properly. On top of it all I found some chips on the figure.

Just have to really ask questions and extensively look at feedback.

Ouch! Tough luck! I'm sure if you plan it right and take your time you'll do a great job on the repair. Just give it some TLC and you'll be fine.

I had a ex Cap head that was pretty banged up too. Both wings were cracked and a chip in the neck. I sent it to DarkArtist81 and he fixed her up pretty nice :) Although I would highly recommend airbrushing if you can, because brush strokes can be noticed pretty easily.... Goodluck to you though!

That's worse than coal!

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

I actually went ahead and fixed it myself. I just glued it with an epoxy hardener. I was able to wipe of the excess without leaving anything behind. I don't trust myself with the painting so I'll leave that up to somebody else if I sell him down the road. You can't tell unless I point it out to you. I'm happy with it.

The broken magnetic piece however, turned out to be harder than I thought. It was very difficult to hold the two pieces together while wiping of the excess and there is also a noticable seam left behind. You probably would not notice it unless you were looking for it but it would be easily seen if you were.

Overall I'm happy with it considering it was a free gift. I may go on a search to find a replacement magnetic part but I doubt it.

I hope everybody had a merry Christmas.

I am glad you were able to fix the issues. It's always a bummer when something you have been anticipating arrives damaged.

What's next on your grail statue hunt? :rock

Dr. Doom is a statue I highly recommend... especially the exclusive version. :D

I am glad you were able to fix the issues. It's always a bummer when something you have been anticipating arrives damaged.

What's next on your grail statue hunt? :rock

With grey Hulk down (thanks to you), my next grail is a personal one for me, Lurtz EX. I'm just waiting for a refund to come thru before I start searching. If you can point me in the right direction for one of these for a fair price I would be greatful.

I'll be posting pictures of your grey Hulk in the Show Your Shelves section. I still don't have any shelves but I figure I have enough polystone to at least make a beginning and monitor my progress from there.

Besides, I wanna show of my Hulk.:rock:rock

I thought about buying Doom but came to the conclussion that the only reason I would be buying him is because everybody else wants one and not because I do. If one happens to fall in my lap for a crazy cheap price then ok but other then that I'll probably pass.

I thought about buying Doom but came to the conclussion that the only reason I would be buying him is because everybody else wants one and not because I do. If one happens to fall in my lap for a crazy cheap price then ok but other then that I'll probably pass.

That's exactly the way I feel. I've never really been interested in Doom and if I did get one, it's because of someone else talking me into it or I got it for one heck of a price. But even then, I'll end up selling it. :lol

Back