Mummy PF SSE Limited to 50: SS Lottery

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RoboDad said:
And, as a collector who values rarity, the opportunity to own such a rare piece is very exciting.

However, with that said, I must say that this lottery idea is an absolutely horrible one. I would be much more willing and ready to take my chances with the usual order process. It puts the responsibility on me to be there at the right time. If I lose out, I lose out (and I have lost out, many, many times). I'd still have my "color" version to keep me company. But with this silly lottery, I have no control over whether I get the piece or not. It is purely up to some random event. Not good at all, Sideshow!

And don't even get me started on the abomination known as the "inclusive" process. :rolleyes:

That's right RD..as long as it is fair, who cares who gets them...

This lottery system is a slippery slope that Sideshow is treading on now. There should be no lotteries, and no "I should get one because I'm already collecting the line". New collectors are introduced to Sideshow everyday so having priority over another just makes no sense and will piss off new collectors to Sideshow. Sideshow is a business and should sell it's products like a business. First come first serve...90% of the time we know in advance an item is going up for preorder. I'm frankly turned off by this idea and have defended Sideshow many, many a time...I am very disappointed in this decision. I think it was the "squeaky wheel getting the oil" treatment.

I will also add that making the ES higher is not the answer. 500 of this mummy would probably take a long...long to sell out.

Sideshow....Please don't try to re-invent the wheel. The way the ordering system has been conducted works great. You may be appeasing some but could alienate many more in the process.

Kookie said:
This lottery system is a slippery slope that Sideshow is treading on now. There should be no lotteries, and no "I should get one because I'm already collecting the line". New collectors are introduced to Sideshow everyday so having priority over another just makes no sense and will piss off new collectors to Sideshow. Sideshow is a business and should sell it's products like a business. First come first serve...90% of the time we know in advance an item is going up for preorder. I'm frankly turned off by this idea and have defended Sideshow many, many a time...I am very disappointed in this decision. I think it was the "squeaky wheel getting the oil" treatment.

I will also add that making the ES higher is not the answer. 500 of this mummy would probably take a long...long to sell out.

Sideshow....Please don't try to re-invent the wheel. The way the ordering system has been conducted works great. You may be appeasing some but could alienate many more in the process.
500 would never sell out. They couldn't sell even sell 500 color versions. I completely understand the es and it makes sense when you take into account the color versions es.

Why didnt they just do 100 ??? Would have sell out but not that fast.

This idea is horrible but I understand why SS is doing it.

The only good thing about the lottery is that at least I won't have to see the same board members/ebay sellers flipping these items on ebay that flip all the other "ultra" rare SS items. It'll be a whole new bunch of flippers. :monkey3 It seems that it's always the same people who get these kind of items and most just end up flipping it.

Bonehead15 said:

The only good thing about the lottery is that at least I won't have to see the same board members/ebay sellers flipping these items on ebay that flip all the other "ultra" rare SS items. It'll be a whole new bunch of flippers. :monkey3 It seems that it's always the same people who get these kind of items and most just end up flipping it.

Right on! Let's give some others a flipping chance. :D

Bonehead15 said:

:rotfl :rotfl :rotfl
It's always good to find more people to hate.

THIS IS NOT FAIR TO SSE COLLECTERS!!!! AND 50???? COME ON GIVE US SSE COLLECTERS A CHANCE!!!! WHAT HAPPENED TO 350????
Sideshow I am sorry for shouting but I am very upset with the Lottery idea. but most of all the edition size of 50.
I had asked you guys to come out with this one long before the colored one ever went up for preorder. This has messed a lot of your fans collections. Why do such a lmited edition on The Mummy PF SSE? This is a peice that is part of a line. This is like the Son Of Frank SSE 12 inch & The Ardeth Bey SSE Bust all over again. Sideshow, I beg of you, Please do not do this to your fans. It is not right. I say again The Mummy PF SSE is part of a line. I pray to God I win the Lottery…. The Mummy PF SSE Lottery that is. :rotfl Sideshow, Why is it that the Boris Karloff peices are so limited and not so much the others????

Thanks so much for your time.

The Monster,
Nick

Last edited:
The Monster said:
THIS IS NOT FAIR TO SSE COLLECTERS!!!! AND 50???? COME ON GIVE US SSE COLLECTERS A CHANCE!!!! WHAT HAPPENED TO 350????
Sideshow I am sorry for shouting but I am very upset with the Lottery idea. but most of all the edition size of 50.
I had asked you guys to come out with this one long before the colored one ever went up for preorder. This has messed a lot of your fans collections. Why do such a lmited edition on The Mummy PF SSE? This is a peice that is part of a line. This is like the Son Of Frank SSE 12 inch & The Ardeth Bey SSE Bust all over again. Sideshow, I beg of you, Please do not do this to your fans. It is not right. I say again The Mummy PF SSE is part of a line. I pray to God I win the Lottery…. The Mummy PF SSE Lottery that is. Sideshow, Why is it that the Boris Karloff peices are so limited and not so much the others????

The Monster,
Nick
As i have previously said, I understand the es of 50 as the Mummy pf was not that big of a seller, but agree with Shai that it should have been more like 100 which would probably allow people hours, even possibly days to purchase.

The Monster said:
I had asked you guys to come out with this one long before the colored one ever went up for preorder. This has messed a lot of your fans collections. Why do such a lmited edition on The Mummy PF SSE? This is a peice that is part of a line. This is like the Son Of Frank SSE 12 inch & The Ardeth Bey SSE Bust all over again. Sideshow, I beg of you, Please do not do this to your fans. It is not right. I say again The Mummy PF SSE is part of a line. I pray to God I win the Lottery…. The Mummy PF SSE Lottery that is. Sideshow, Why is it that the Boris Karloff peices are so limited and not so much the others????

The Monster,
Nick

See, Nick the Monster's response to the "lottery" announcement is exactly what I am talking about. I have had enough discussions on this board with him to know that he loves his SSE Monsters. So, to treat this loyal fanbase this way is ridiculous! I hate it when Manufacturers do this....marketing be hanged!

occulum said:
that was beautifully stated! awesome! I agree 100%

... but the SS rep is gonna tell you "thats marketing." :monkey4
They did enough streamlining when they took their products out of stores altogether, and made them website only exclusives... and specialty stores that carry their product are pretty distanced. They have enough of the marketing action going on. If they aren't careful, they are going to cater only to a select elitist clientel that are computer savvy and have more dough than Daddy Warbucks.

Shai Hulud said:
Why didnt they just do 100 ??? Would have sell out but not that fast.

exactly! just up the edition a little. anyone who really wants one has a fair chance of ordering it and it would still be a rare edition. with a lottery your chances are "up in the air". i honestly do not think that is fair. if Sideshow wanted to make this "fair" then they wouldn't have these ultra rare exclusives. i will go out and say that they're purely doing this to stir interest. plain and simple. as a very avid fan of their products i am starting to get tired of these tactics. it's not that i don't like these rare items. i personally find it lots of fun trying for them but at least i feel that i tried. i respect that they're trying new things but this just isn't a good idea.

let's hope this will turn out to be an unsuccessful experiment with their fan base. much like Master Replicas's Collector's Edition (CE) disbandment.

You know, the more I think about it, the more I believe that even with an edition size of 50 pieces, this won't be that highly sought after. Sure the 50 will sell out because of the edition size but it won't necessarily mean a high secondary market value. How many people really and truly want an SSE Mummy and are willing to pay more than the $450 this one will probably be? I have a feeling that patience for those that don't win the lottery will be your best chance at getting this.

Its having the opposite effect for some. Instead of making SSE collectors excited about owning the "really rare" versions of previously released pieces, it makes them give up collecting the line. You'll have to take my word for it. I know a few who have just walked away after missing that one "essential" piece. The 15 piece Ardeth bust was selling like gangbusters in flipper land awhile back. Now, its on ebay and no one has touched it. Perhaps after the SSE fanbase disappears in discouragement, SSC will then be offering these "hysteria" editions to the people who really benefit from the ridiculously low edition sizes. Flippers. If this ever happens with a line I collect from SS...I will quit. I don't like being made to suffer "Tickle Me Cabbage Patch Elmo PS3" syndrome from a company I have supported for years. Here's a thought. If an edition size is going to be ultra limited...you open the pre-ordering cycle up for 24 hours. You give a 2 week notice. You explain that half the balance is due upon ordering the item, and that that half is non refundable. This will lock in anyone who wants the piece, discourage flippers, and secure non-cancellations because no on wants to lose half the price of a piece. Sideshow is also protected, because we know they make these for about half of what the retail them for. That's just good business. Then everyone is happy. The elitists still feel elite and the people who want the product actually get it.

lcummins said:
It may be "marketing", but apparently, companies don't bother to study the "history" of other companies that try things like this! This very kind of market manipulation has caused the bottom to fall out of Baseball cards, comic books, non-sports cards, and many other collectibles, at one time or another!!!

Darn straight. I used to be owner/operator of a comics store in the 1990's. All of the speculation convinced retailers to carry products heavily that they normally wouldn't have ordered at all because of prism covers alternate covers, etc. Overhead went up and when the speculators went away...so did the retailers. But marvel and DC were ok. Marketing be hanged.

Anton Phibes said:
Its having the opposite effect for some. Instead of making SSE collectors excited about owning the "really rare" versions of previously released pieces, it makes them give up collecting the line...

That's 100% true and a main reason I sold all of my Gentle Giant stuff and haven't bothered to order any of the LotR line.

Anton Phibes said:
See, Nick the Monster's response to the "lottery" announcement is exactly what I am talking about. I have had enough discussions on this board with him to know that he loves his SSE Monsters. So, to treat this loyal fanbase this way is ridiculous! I hate it when Manufacturers do this....marketing be hanged!

Thanks Anton Phibes! You could not be more right! :D

Sideshow, Doing this kind of thing with The Mummy PF SSE is just ridiculous!

Now both of my SSE sets are messed up! :monkey2

First the Son Of Frankenstein SSE 12 inch figure & now this???? :monkey2

Come on Sideshow! You are better than that! :monkey2

The Monster,
Nick

Last edited:
lcummins said:
$%#@%^$##!!!!!!!

I was on the road all day Thursday traveling to KY. I wake up to find this???!!!!! THIS SUCKS SIDESHOW!!!! I have EVERY Premium Format Universal Monster, color and SSE, and now I may not be able to get one because of this insane idea!

As for giving previous collectors first shot, they did that once with the Frankenstein SSE pre-order (I think it was Frankenstein?) by sending an email with the order link. I don't really like that either. You guys have some valid points about if you ordered previous figures, but what about the people who get theirs from a retailer? They would still be left out in the cold even if they had every figure.

Well, I guess Retro Spidey may go up for a trade if I don't get picked for the lottery. This really is a dis-service to collectors of a particular line. I have recently cut the Star Wars and Marvel lines and let go of some pieces just so I could concentrate on the Universal Monsters! I might as well give up collecting if this is the path Sideshow is going down!!! I mean, look at the other SSE PF figures... took a long time to sell out. I absolutely guarantee this will sell out instantly because it is so limited, not because people really want it. What are you thinking Sideshow????!

^%#$^@@#!!#!!!!!

i agree with you man. i think after i get the SSE dracula i'm gonna give up the prospect of buying all the SSE monsters. this sucks because after getting the wolfman i really enjoy it and im sure the others are works of art as well. and as soon as the PF mummy started shipping i said i would wait for a SSE version....well so much for that hope. thanks SS!!! :banghead

This is just such a very bad idea

what's the reason? to avoid flippers ?

This will give even more flippers the chance to get one.

With the previous system, sure there were lot's of flippers, but the people that really wanted one, also did a very good change to get one, you just got to be there on time.

Now there are 2 days to subscribe, lots of people that don't want it, will enter just to sell it back later. Many many more then with the usual system that gives the true collectors always a chance to buy it ...

I'm feeling left out here as a Universal collector.. I have all the colour versions and am trying to complete my SSE collection, but with this system I'm seriously considering dropping the SSE line at all ...

Just leave it as it was Sideshow ! please

Vince said:
but with this system I'm seriously considering dropping the SSE line at all ...

if you do, i call dibs on your Dracula!! j/k... im not even gonna enter this one as i dont have the money right now for it. i was gonna try to slowly buy them all, but if this is the way its going to be im only gonna get dracula and call it quits.

Back