Mummy PF SSE Limited to 50: SS Lottery

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Darth Roranous said:
I think it is so funny that some people here say that life just isn't fair and that people should deal with it but then complain and ***** that this lottery idea isn't fair. Isn't it ironic. In all honesty, the lottery isn't "fair" so all you "life just isn't fair" people, should be happy and stop *****ing.:monkey2 :monkey2 :monkey2 :monkey2

The lottery is a perfect real world example of life not being fair! I LOVE IT! I love that the usual scalpers have to leave it to fate to do their business.

And for the people that really want to add this piece to their collection, I am sorry. My words may seem hurtful to you but I am sure you will get one if you really want one.

It's you that's needs a reality check. Business is not run through a "lottery" system. Companies offer products to customers then people buy the product FIRST COME FIRST SERVE. I'll move to China if I want this lottery garbage!!!

Kookie said:
It's you that's needs a reality check. Business is not run through a "lottery" system. Companies offer products to customers then people buy the product FIRST COME FIRST SERVE. I'll move to China if I want this lottery garbage!!!
A company can sell their product how ever they wish. First come first serve is not the only way Americans do business buddy. Have you ever taken an economics class, tried to buy a home, or shopped on Ebay?

Last edited:
Darth Roranous said:
A company can sell their product how ever they wish. First come first serve is not the only way Americans do business buddy. Did you ever take an economics class or hear of a place called Ebay?

Hahaha...Ebay and Sideshow are two entirely different types of business'. Name me one company that sells it's products through a lottery. Don't question my knowledge of running a company. My job is to place executives within some of the top companies in the country. Your grasping for straws!

Kookie said:
Hahaha...Ebay and Sideshow are two entirely different types of business'. Name me one company that sells it's products through a lottery. Don't question my knowledge of running a company. My job is to place executives within some of the top companies in the country. Your grasping for straws!

Am I now? HAHa. Just because other companies don't do it, why should Sideshow conform to the business practices of others? There is no law saying a business can not sell their products through a lottery.

Darth Roranous said:
Am I now? HAHa. Just because other companies don't do it, why should Sideshow conform to the business practices of others? There is no law saying a business can not sell their products through a lottery. Furthermore, if you are such a big shot in a high paying job, why are you so cheap? If you don't get a certain product from Sideshow directly, surely you have enough money to buy elsewhere and not cry about it here.

There's a reason why companies don't do lotteries...because they would go out of business....plain and simple!!! The customer base would not stick around when they can find a company that offers a similar product line and buy the item at their leisure. How does my opposition to the lottery somehow put me in the cheap category...that made no sense at all. Why would anyone want to pay more for an item when they can get it at cost...please don't bring up how people should take an economics class when you obviously have no grasp of it yourself.

Kookie said:
There's a reason why companies don't do lotteries...because they would go out of business....plain and simple!!! The customer base would not stick around when they can find a company that offers a similar product line and buy the item at their leisure. How does my opposition to the lottery somehow put me in the cheap category...that made no sense at all. Why would anyone want to pay more for an item when they can get it at cost...please don't bring up how people should take an economics class when you obviously have no grasp of it yourself.
If you notice I took out the cheap comment right after I posted because I thought it to be in poor taste. You are right, no one wants to pay more than they have to. However, you made a good point, if you don't like the way Sideshow is running their business then don't be a customer. Plain and simple. If your theory on economics is valid then no one will buy this satute because they can find something similar elsewhere. I know these shifts take time but I am pretty certain most people would stick around even if they used the lottery system more often.

Darth...I appreciate the spirited debate and hold no grudges with anyone on this forum. My feelings on this go way beyond individuals on this board and whether my points are accepted, or not, I feel the need to express them. This is the one place Sideshow actually takes notice from. This lottery truly signifies a change in Sideshow that could affect my personal collecting future. If there's a chance I wouldn't be able to continue a line because of the lottery I may choose not to start the line at all. In the 4 plus years I have been collecting from Sideshow this is the one gripe I've ever had. As I've said before the Mummy doesn't interest me personally and will not enter the lottery, the Mummy is important because of what it signifies in terms of how Sideshow will do business in the future...which is why I am so troubled.

Either way, this is a test that Sideshow is doing so prove them wrong and don't buy into it. Sideshow will sell out of this peice because people don't stand up for what they believe in. If every one who had a problem with this system refused to buy into it then Sideshow will have to revert back.

HAhaha but then again, that plan will probably backfire leaving all those that really want this piece to search elsewhere.

Last edited:
Darth Roranous said:
I think it is so funny that some people here say that life just isn't fair and that people should deal with it but then complain and ***** that this lottery idea isn't fair. Isn't it ironic. Now that you are on the "losing" side of "fair" all you do is cry. In all honesty, the lottery isn't "fair" so all you "life just isn't fair" people, should be happy and stop *****ing.:monkey2 :monkey2 :monkey2 :monkey2
I really think you don't get it. I'm not asking for fairness. Especially this manufactured fairness. If anything, I'm asking for "unfairness." I want to be able to have an unfair advantage, if I am willing to make the effort to get it. I don't want people who aren't willing to take the time to rearrange their schedule for the order process to have the same chance that I have.

Darth Roranous said:
The lottery is a perfect real world example of life not being fair! I LOVE IT! I love that the usual scalpers have to leave it to fate to do their business.
No, the lottery, as I said, is a ridiculous attempt to manufacture fairness where none can (or should) naturally exist. But then, this logic flies in the face of your gleeful (and pitiful) attempt to paint other collectors with such a broad brush. :rolleyes:

Darth Roranous said:
And for the people that really want to add this piece to their collection, I am sorry.
No you're not. That much is painfully obvious.

Darth Roranous said:
My words may seem hurtful to you but I am sure you will get one if you really want one.
Sure, I'll probably get one from the secondary market, but that is not the point of this debate. And if you had been paying attention, you'd know that.

Darth...I think many will enter the lottery because many have collected all the SSE Horror figures and want to continue the line. In the long term the lottery system will hurt Sideshow in my opinion. Based on it's success we may find lottery systems happening for 200 or even 300 edition sizes. This is a real Pandora's Box situation. Once the box is opened we can never go back.

Kookie said:
Darth...I appreciate the spirited debate and hold no grudges with anyone on this forum. My feelings on this go way beyond individuals on this board and whether my points are accepted, or not, I feel the need to express them. This is the one place Sideshow actually takes notice from. This lottery truly signifies a change in Sideshow that could affect my personal collecting future. If there's a chance I wouldn't be able to continue a line because of the lottery I may choose not to start the line at all. In the 4 plus years I have been collecting from Sideshow this is the one gripe I've ever had. As I've said before the Mummy doesn't interest me personally and will not enter the lottery, the Mummy is important because of what it signifies in terms of how Sideshow will do business in the future...which is why I am so troubled.
Kookie, I am sorry I took a personal jab at you, I too hold no grudges and would love to keep this a spirited debate. Sometimes the conversation gets emotional around here but I believe we are all good people in a great community.

I do value your opinion and believe that it is very valid. I am basically trying to play the devils advocate here. I don't care for this piece either but I do hope that Sideshow continues to listen to the people that support their products. Even though I have no problem with this lottery, I know many do and so these concerns should be addressed. In the end you are right, if people get fed up with how a place runs, eventually they will seek other compaines in which to invest their hard earned money.

I guess the reason that I am so apathetic about the lottery is that I don't have an interest in the particular product. I can definitely see how this will impact true collectors of the line and my sympathies go out to them.

Now let's discuss the reason behind this move...

Is it to counteract scalpers or to really give everyone a fair chance?

Last edited:
I think what happened was with the Marvel Grey Hulk vs Spiderman, Classic Spiderman PF, and Negative Spiderman many missed out and complained to Sideshow. A select few wrote comments on the Sideshow site pushing and pushing for a lottery system. I think what they didn't truly realize is that they really may be hurting their chances of getting an item. Dusty has mentioned in the past that during events like Spooktacular or Comic Con, contests sometime get a 1000+ (Dusty...please correct me if I'm wrong) responses with people trying to win a prize. With a lottery based system spread across several days, we may actually be competing with thousands rather than a few hundred for a limited edition piece. That's just an educated guess though.

Honestly, how many people would purchase this piece if they put this item up for pre-sale on the site without an edition size (TBD)?

I really don't think there would be many at the purchase price that they are asking unless 1) the consumer collects SSE PF's, 2) a fan of the classic movie, 3) want to add this piece to sell on their respective website or e-bay.

They should've put it up for sale without identifying an edition size number. This way they could've allotted the 50 slots to potential customers without the customers knowing. Once the 50th piece is sold, then put up a Sold Out/Wait List disclaimer listing the edition size at a later date (when the item starts to arrive to it's customers). It's just the idea of throwing out an exact edition size number will cause of furor amongst it's collectors. The lottery only adds to the widespread panic...

Kookie said:
Darth...I think many will enter the lottery because many have collected all the SSE Horror figures and want to continue the line. In the long term the lottery system will hurt Sideshow in my opinion. Based on it's success we may find lottery systems happening for 200 or even 300 edition sizes. This is a real Pandora's Box situation. Once the box is opened we can never go back.

I agree with you on this point. A company can not run this way forever. If this were a one time lottery for a product of less importance, then I find no problem with that but we are talking about a piece most need to complete a line.

And many will enter the lottery, but I don't think that Sideshow will ignore the outcry of many protesting this system. I am pretty sure that Sideshow will revert to their normal way of business after this lottery.

If Sideshow were to continue with the lottery system for other products then I do see a horrible future for Sideshow. HAha yes, a sort of Pandora's box will be opened.

Darth Roranous said:
Now let's discuss the reason behind this move...

Is it to counteract scalpers or to really give everyone a fair chance?
If it is intended an attempt to counter scalpers, then it is doomed to failure. The long sign-up window will only mean that MORE scalpers will put their names in the hat, far outnumbering the people who actually want to own the piece. After all, nothing is going to change the ES, so scalpers WILL be flocking to the lottery.

If it is intended to make things "fair" for real collectors, then it is still doomed, in part because of the scalper reason above, but also because it takes all of the control away from the collectors themselves.

There ARE times where a lottery makes some sense. When there were hundreds of people waiting in line at Best Buy last month to get a PS3, a lottery was the best solution. It took all of the potential for violence out of the equation. And, since the initial shipment of PS3s wasn't the ONLY shipment, people who lost out would still have the chance to get one at a reasonable price. They just wouldn't be among the first to own one. But with this piece, it's a one-time deal. No second chances (outside of ebay). That WILL alienate a lot of Sideshow's customers.

Nitro said:
Honestly, how many people would purchase this piece if they put this item up for pre-sale on the site without an edition size (TBD)?

I really don't think there would be many at the purchase price that they are asking unless 1) the consumer collects SSE PF's, 2) a fan of the classic movie, 3) want to add this piece to sell on their respective website or e-bay.

They should've put it up for sale without identifying an edition size number. This way they could've allotted the 50 slots to potential customers without the customers knowing. Once the 50th piece is sold, then put up a Sold Out/Wait List disclaimer listing the edition size at a later date (when the item starts to arrive to it's customers). It's just the idea of throwing out an exact edition size number will cause of furor amongst it's collectors. The lottery only adds to the widespread panic...
This is truely how it should have gone down. Sideshow should have released the ES after the initial presale. I think that you are correct in assuming that this product would have been a slow seller and Sideshow was aware of this as well. This is the reason for the lottery and the low es; obviously a move to increase demand.

RoboDad said:
If it is intended an attempt to counter scalpers, then it is doomed to failure. The long sign-up window will only mean that MORE scalpers will put their names in the hat, far outnumbering the people who actually want to own the piece. After all, nothing is going to change the ES, so scalpers WILL be flocking to the lottery.

If it is intended to make things "fair" for real collectors, then it is still doomed, in part because of the scalper reason above, but also because it takes all of the control away from the collectors themselves.

There ARE times where a lottery makes some sense. When there were hundreds of people waiting in line at Best Buy last month to get a PS3, a lottery was the best solution. It took all of the potential for violence out of the equation. And, since the initial shipment of PS3s wasn't the ONLY shipment, people who lost out would still have the chance to get one at a reasonable price. They just wouldn't be among the first to own one. But with this piece, it's a one-time deal. No second chances (outside of ebay). That WILL alienate a lot of Sideshow's customers.

I agree! This whole thing has just made me shake my head. I know this may just be a test and a one time thing, but somehow it leaves a doubt in my mind whether this is a sign of what's to come. Another reason this hurts is I've been a loyal Sideshow customer for many years and have stayed away from MR, Bowen, GG, etc, so the idea of missing rare items is upsetting.

RoboDad said:

As far as scalpers go, it is just going to be different ones who aquire the item now. The lottery probably worsens the problem.

Again, I hope that the people who really want this piece get it.

I have to run for a couple hours so if anyone wants to disagree with me...do it now because I won't be able to defend myself :D

Back