Mummy PF SSE Limited to 50: SS Lottery

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am so glad I don't do SSE. I don't know how you guys stand it. The SSE editions lately have been ridiculous. You shouldn't have to fight over the chance to advance your collections. It makes collecting become a tedious chore and not a joy.

I think you all are being way too harsh on the lottery idea. Using the online PPO is pretty much a lottery anyway. Despite the facts that I have the fastest UL/DL DSL that my phone co offers and I get to the site before the item goes on sale, there's been times where the PPO login page has been stuck loading for 5-10 minutes (literally) for SW figs while people around the country (and the world) have posted their confirmations. And yet sometimes I get in and done within 5 minutes. Those results are pretty random. The edition size is very low, but that doesn't have anything to do with the lottery.

wasnt the lottery idea suggest here on this very board not so long ago..??? if I remember correctly,lots of posters tought it was a great idea at the time..

Blame yourself Sideshow Freaks !!!

Seriously, this is lame...the best way is the inclusive ordering one.

Agent0028 said:
money.

As for the lottery part itself, I think it sounds good in theory, but I think they're better off sticking with the first come first serve approach. I know it makes it tough for people who can't sit next to the computer, but I don't know if the odds of getting one are much better this way. It certainly seems like it would open the door for alot more people who only want to sell it.

I congratulate SS for trying this approach...sure, you are ALWAYS going to get people who don't approve...but, for NON-AMERICANS, for which I am one...it beats getting up at 3 in the morning to try and get one..... As, for people wanting to sell these LE for immediate $$$...no matter what you do, you will NEVER stop that!

Anton Phibes said:
I am so glad I don't do SSE. I don't know how you guys stand it. The SSE editions lately have been ridiculous. You shouldn't have to fight over the chance to advance your collections. It makes collecting become a tedious chore and not a joy.

But, it keeps everyone interested Anton...and THAT is what SS wants.....

darth dyp**** said:
I congratulate SS for trying this approach...sure, you are ALWAYS going to get people who don't approve...but, for NON-AMERICANS, for which I am one...it beats getting up at 3 in the morning to try and get one..... As, for people wanting to sell these LE for immediate $$$...no matter what you do, you will NEVER stop that!

Exactly, so couple that with a 3 DAY window and voila, you haven't solved anything!

Perhaps to be fair SS could do a split order sometime. 25 for the US and 25 for the rest of the world.

First come, first serve.

Shai Hulud said:
wasnt the lottery idea suggest here on this very board not so long ago..??? if I remember correctly,lots of posters tought it was a great idea at the time..
Blame yourself Sideshow Freaks !!!
Seriously, this is lame...the best way is the inclusive ordering one.

:lol only after I was pushing the Inclusive edition prior

occulum from Aredth SSE Bust thread said:
I understand why its disclosed. I just hate it when the ES sells a product and not the product itself.
Maybe do a 24hr inclusive edition with things like this in the future? or maybe have a lottery pick similar to how SDCC exclusives were handled a couple years back?

... I just always have flash-backs of hunting down 1-per-casers in the stores and it being next to impossible to get them cause I actually had a job and either the employees got them or the local shops had lil' jobless, good-fer-nuthin go-fers hit all the stores thru the day!! :banghead

no, Im not bitter :lol

you do realize a lot of those people who wait are the people who are shopping around to avoid buying direct which cuts into brick & mortar sales, which cuts down on SS's overall profits and maybe into YOUR RAISE! :lol

darth dyp**** said:
But, it keeps everyone interested Anton...and THAT is what SS wants.....

It doesn't do that for me. It makes me turn my back on it. A perfect example of this is the current Frankenstein cards by Artbox. All of the hoopla, hype and frenzy to get a complete set, and the futility in realizing that this will never occur, make me just stay away from the product in its entirety. I am probably one of the biggest Universal Monsters harlots on the face of the planet. Yet when it comes to stuff that is so impossible to get as to cause one to have an aneurism in the process, it becomes an exercise in vexation. So I just pretend it doesn't exist. Because to me...it doesn't.

I get tired of games where a manufacturer tries to manipulate the supply and demand scene by creating a demand due to a lack of supply that is intentional. When an item goes up for preorder, like the current Bride POF, the edition size is set based on the orders. Then, over a period of time...it becomes collectible or it fizzles. To intentionally create mayhem, and cause some of your die hard supporters to be isolated,is counterproductive to me. Sideshow doesn't need to play these kind of games. No company does really.

Anton Phibes said:
I get tired of games where a manufacturer tries to manipulate the supply and demand scene by creating a demand due to a lack of supply that is intentional. When an item goes up for preorder, like the current Bride POF, the edition size is set based on the orders. Then, over a period of time...it becomes collectible or it fizzles. To intentionally create mayhem, and cause some of your die hard supporters to be isolated,is counterproductive to me. Sideshow doesn't need to play these kind of games. No company does really.

Well said Anton!!

I for one couldn't agree with you more.

darth dyp**** said:
I can understand your point, but I think I prefer to get up at 3 than to have a lottery with a probably small chance of winning. But maybe we are being a bit too doom and gloom over this scenario, maybe several hundred people won't enter.

I was looking forward to the SSE Mummy, I wasn't 100% sure I would get one, but now I feel like the choice isn't mine to make. Oh well, I hope ya'll who really want one get it.

I honestly believe that if this were put up as a regular newsletter preorder it would take 5-10 minutes to sell out, which is plenty of time to get one if you really want it. Look at what the scarface bust limited to 60 did. It took around 15 minutes to sell out at the same price and it was the only bust they have done of him, not a variant. Compare this to the Mummy which already has a color version which didn't really sell that well. ES of 350 that took months to sell out even with customers being allowed to buy 2. I really don't think this would have been a 90 second sell out like some of the other pieces.

I totally agree with that.

I remember getting an email awhile back saying since I bought a "Monster PF" I would have 1st chance to order a new fighure coming out. Something like that. I think thats a good idea to keep the loyal collectors happy. I'm sure not too many people own alot of the SSE PF figures, but those that do and miss out it's heartbreaking. Scalpers are going to join the lottery. But I still think 50 is a decent #.

Trying to look at this from Sideshow's perspective, I can understand the lower ES. The Universal Monsters are not nearly as popular as Star Wars, or even LOTR, and the SSE's are the least popular of the Monsters. And, as a collector who values rarity, the opportunity to own such a rare piece is very exciting.

However, with that said, I must say that this lottery idea is an absolutely horrible one. I would be much more willing and ready to take my chances with the usual order process. It puts the responsibility on me to be there at the right time. If I lose out, I lose out (and I have lost out, many, many times). I'd still have my "color" version to keep me company. But with this silly lottery, I have no control over whether I get the piece or not. It is purely up to some random event. Not good at all, Sideshow!

And don't even get me started on the abomination known as the "inclusive" process. :rolleyes:

RoboDad said:
Trying to look at this from Sideshow's perspective, I can understand the lower ES. The Universal Monsters are not nearly as popular as Star Wars, or even LOTR, and the SSE's are the least popular of the Monsters. And, as a collector who values rarity, the opportunity to own such a rare piece is very exciting.

However, with that said, I must say that this lottery idea is an absolutely horrible one. I would be much more willing and ready to take my chances with the usual order process. It puts the responsibility on me to be there at the right time. If I lose out, I lose out (and I have lost out, many, many times). I'd still have my "color" version to keep me company. But with this silly lottery, I have no control over whether I get the piece or not. It is purely up to some random event. Not good at all, Sideshow!

And don't even get me started on the abomination known as the "inclusive" process. :rolleyes:
I totally agree with this.

As much as I hate to admit it, I also agree the Monsters are not selling as well. So an edition size of 50 is probably warranted, but unfortunately, when you start getting below a certain size, it changes from being collectible for what it is, to being collectible for the edition size; at least for some people! I honestly don't know what Sideshow could do for this situation, other than something like a pre-order and base the edition size on orders. I don't like this "in stock" crap anyway! I need time to budget for things, especially this expensive!

Anton Phibes said:
that was beautifully stated! awesome! I agree 100%

... but the SS rep is gonna tell you "thats marketing." :monkey4

occulum said:
that was beautifully stated! awesome! I agree 100%

... but the SS rep is gonna tell you "thats marketing." :monkey4

It may be "marketing", but apparently, companies don't bother to study the "history" of other companies that try things like this! This very kind of market manipulation has caused the bottom to fall out of Baseball cards, comic books, non-sports cards, and many other collectibles, at one time or another!!!

Is Sideshow going in circles? They first had the lottery system for left over SDCC items, but got rid of it because it didn't work as well as they had planned. It sucked. PPO and inclusives replaced this. Now they are going back. This is just stupid. And I'm not even interested in this piece.

IMO, a low edition exclusive like this needs to be offered to those who have ordered ALL of the similar items (ie SSE Monsters). Then after that window, those who have ordered some or the color version of the same PF. A Lottery just isn't fair. Scalpers have just as much a chance as real collectors and that is just not right!

I hope this lottery idea dies a quick and painful death! :mad:

It took forever to sell out the color version, I think they were basing the numbers on past experiences. The SSE version will be pretty bland, who would buy the SSE if it wasn't such a low ES. I can't imagine the sarcophagus that is black and white and gray, it should be in color! I just feel for the SSE collectors, luckily jumped ship on that boat in time. No SSE for me. Color versions are much better.

Back