Movie Poster Collecting

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never got into the original movie poster collecting but I always wanted to. I am more into original foreign movie posters though. I have always been wanting to collect the foreign movie posters for the Indy films but haven't gotten around to committing funds to them yet.

I collect lenticulars.

Spider-Man3Lenticular1.jpg

Spider-Man3Lenticular2.jpg

PunisherWarZoneEx.jpg

Wolverine1.jpg

picture.php

picture.php

I have a ton of original one-sheets, including Star Wars (from all six movies), Blade Runner, Raiders, LOTR, Akira, The Dark Knight, Batman Begins, Hellboy, and more.

I was lucky enough to get a lot through the SW fan club back in the early 80s.

And while I don't collect as many as I used to, I think one of the best posters from recent years is V For Vendetta.

Yea, I have four or five V for Vendetta versions, and everyone is great. Another of my favs over the last couple years was Slither, with the girl in the tub...reminds me of all those great 70's horror flick posters.

Pretty easy - double sided these days are generally legit. The process, while not as expensive as say, 30 years ago, is still pretty expensive. They also are always 27x40 these days.

Older single sided posters are pretty easy to tell too - if they are 27x41, had an NSS number on the bottom corner, and usually (although not always) have a white border, odds are they are original.

Wow, Dave - that's some mighty sweet stuff there!

Thanks michael! i'm glad my why so serious one is double sided lol..

btw what kind of cases does everyone use? man I felt so ripped off when I bought one from this one movie store at the mall and when I opened it it fell apart in my hands.. :(

Last edited:
i collect movie posters. try to look for the original or for the year it came out.. i do have a couple alamo ones..But those pieces which are outstanding pieces of art work are not original posters of the movie.just cool interpretations of what artist see's or wants to represent to the film base.But i collect posters of movies i really liked or are very sentinmental to me...takes me bak to a time when i was younger that is definitely gone..

The only posters I've collected are from Batman films from the theater. I have them all pretty much, from teaser posters to banners.

The only non Batman posters I own is the teaser Fellowship of the Ring poster and the pre-9/11 twin towers Spider-Man poster from 2001.

Yea, I have four or five V for Vendetta versions, and everyone is great. Another of my favs over the last couple years was Slither, with the girl in the tub...reminds me of all those great 70's horror flick posters.

This is the one-sheet I have. I also have the set of mini posters that was done.

I have the original 27x41 Mannequin proudly framed in my living room.

I have lots of other great "classic" original posters on display. Was at a toy show here in KC a few years back and got the re-release "Raiders".. the return of the great adventure for 20$. The dealer claimed he cleared out a NSS warehouse and got a good deal on them.

Got an original Goonies 27x41 (struzan) for 21.99 shipped on ebay. Took a chance but it turned out to be an original.

I also have an original Aliens poster that was used in a smaller independent cinema back in 86. The owners used the back of the poster to advertise Transformers the movie (they wrote on the back in magic marker the times for the movie). Odd, but since the front of the Aliens poster is black.. you cant see any bleed through. That was a cool 5 bucks.

Last edited:
Unfortunately there are double-sided reprints out there - especially of the twin towers Spider-man. I got mine before it was recalled, so I'm pretty certain it's original. Most double-sided reprints are pretty easy to tell - usually the mirror image side is the same brightness as the front. On a real double sided, the back side isn't as bright (usually).

The first double sided poster wasn't created until the 90s I believe.

For SW it's a crap shoot since repros are extremely common (no double sided originals there). My rolled SW is actually from the video release of the film. But the only difference between it and a theatrical release is that it has a Lucasfilm copyright under the image and the theatrical had a Fox copyright. Both have a Fox copyright at the very bottom.

I also like to collect unusual ones like lenticulars or mylars (I have a Superman '78 on mylar).

Really never collected posters. Have had a few Michael Jordan posters but thats not movie of course. As far as movies go I'm more into art prints. Now, movie poster wise I have a couple of original Temple Of Doom posters stored away that someday I'll get framed and hung up.

Dave, I think you're right about DS posters starting in the 90s. I know the '89 Batman one-sheet is one sided. I got mine from a friend who worked at a theater.

The OT SW and Raiders posters I have I ordered (I should say my mom ordered for me) right from issues of Bantha Tracks, so I know they're original.

Has anyone ever been to the movie poster place on Hollywood Blvd in hollywood? They say they get their posters from the studios.

Was just curious if that's true. I always ask if its original, and they say yes, but for all I know they have a printer in the back. :lol

They have great prices compared to internet shops.

Nope, double sided posters have existed since the 50's. They weren't common because the cost was so high, but they were there. They didn't start slipping in more often til the 80's, and by the mid-90's they were pretty much the standard. It seems to me that 1985 was sort of the turning year, where they went from mostly folded single sided to more rolled double sided, although we really didn't see double sided go nuts til the mid-90's. I also think it was around 85 that the size shifted from 27x41 down to 27x40.

They weren't ALL folded, but most were making the rolled ones even harder to find.

Ok, I apologize, I could have sworn all were folded ... or was that only for the Revenge of the Jedi ones ?

I would probably buy more if I had the space to display them.

But I have this (reprint)...

mp_big_abovethelaw1.jpg

That is pretty cool.

Just got this today! Love it.
Random005.jpg

I like this one as well except she does not look like she is running intensely like the others.

I love Eragon. Not the best movie but the dragon was badass.

Agreed, I wish they would have learned from their mistakes and made the other books.

Back