Collection Displayed vs. Overall Inventory

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BACON!

Super Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score
The Museum of Modern Art in New York only displays about 5% of it's collection of 200,000+ artworks.

What is your display to storage ratio in your collection? When I lived in Brooklyn, I had an 1100 s/f apartment and displayed roughly 40% of my collection. When we moved to Portland, we got a house with more s/f, but my display areas dropped dramatically. Now I am at MoMA level, I think, but that may be that I can story my much larger collection now in a full basement, as opposed to a closet back in NYC, I hope in the next few years to create a studio where my garage now stands, and fill it with Moducases and custom display solutions. That is a ways down the road, though

My dirty little secret. The majority of my collection is still in their boxes. I’m talking 95%. I have detolfs set up in my basement but they are basically empty. I am either too busy, too tired, or too lazy to assemble them. I open the box, look how cool it is, and put it on storage shelves next to my other ones. Pretty much addicted I believe. Probably not what you were looking for but there it is.

do it now or never.
The Museum of Modern Art in New York only displays about 5% of it's collection of 200,000+ artworks.

What is your display to storage ratio in your collection? When I lived in Brooklyn, I had an 1100 s/f apartment and displayed roughly 40% of my collection. When we moved to Portland, we got a house with more s/f, but my display areas dropped dramatically. Now I am at MoMA level, I think, but that may be that I can story my much larger collection now in a full basement, as opposed to a closet back in NYC, I hope in the next few years to create a studio where my garage now stands, and fill it with Moducases and custom display solutions. That is a ways down the road, though

difference between museum is that they have dedicated staffs to maintain and rotate the displays. items are also kept in controlled environment. only the riches can do this with their personal collection.

there are people who buy stuffs to display them there are people who buy stuffs to keep as a treasure.

my tip on making display would be maximize your vertical space. detolfs are good and cheap but they are too short.

for me most of my 1/6 are displayed. most of the smaller stuffs are in storage. because the 1/6 can utilize the shelf spaces more efficient than the small figures. for example a small figure might take up 50% less space than a 1/6 but the 1/6 can utilize much more vertical space.

I have most of my stuff displayed, like 95%. I’m getting to the point where my strategy is “one in, one out.” If I bring something new in, then I sell something that I care less about. I’m getting to the nitty gritty with that strategy, but it makes me decide on what I really care about or what I really “need” to bring into my collection.

My dirty little secret. The majority of my collection is still in their boxes. I’m talking 95%. I have detolfs set up in my basement but they are basically empty. I am either too busy, too tired, or too lazy to assemble them. I open the box, look how cool it is, and put it on storage shelves next to my other ones. Pretty much addicted I believe. Probably not what you were looking for but there it is.
😆 sounds a lot like me. I think I would have to have 80% still in boxes because I really haven't got around to spending the time organising it all. I hated assembling the moducases I bought and procrastinated big time in putting them together.

Similar here. Just did a quick inventory and I counted ~15 to 18 still in boxes and ~ 10 on display. The boxed ones are still in boxes for the same reason, too tired/lazy.

I have one detolf setup but have avoided getting a second one simply because I haven't wanted to set aside the time to assemble it. I'll probably end up getting a second one in the coming weeks and may jut end up paying for assembly service as I live alone and have no one to help. They aren't difficult, but two people are better for putting those together.

difference between museum is that they have dedicated staffs to maintain and rotate the displays. items are also kept in controlled environment. only the riches can do this with their personal collection.

there are people who buy stuffs to display them there are people who buy stuffs to keep as a treasure.

my tip on making display would be maximize your vertical space. detolfs are good and cheap but they are too short.

for me most of my 1/6 are displayed. most of the smaller stuffs are in storage. because the 1/6 can utilize the shelf spaces more efficient than the small figures. for example a small figure might take up 50% less space than a 1/6 but the 1/6 can utilize much more vertical space.
Similar here. Just did a quick inventory and I counted ~15 to 18 still in boxes and ~ 10 on display. The boxed ones are still in boxes for the same reason, too tired/lazy.

I have one detolf setup but have avoided getting a second one simply because I haven't wanted to set aside the time to assemble it. I'll probably end up getting a second one in the coming weeks and may jut end up paying for assembly service as I live alone and have no one to help. They aren't difficult, but two people are better for putting those together.
assembling takes 20 minutes 1 person. but takes hours to clean the glasses from oil and swirls. and more if you want to dust proof it and add leds.

nowadays alot more options than before. Get a P type weather seal for the side with the swivel. close the door and line it up. back then theres only the jagged ones so you have to keep adjusting with doors opened closed.

then get those h type clear silicone strip for shower glasses to clamp onto the opening side. measure the glass thickness and get the correct one it can stretch abit.

for top and bottom get the adhesive clear strips 2.5cm close the door and try to line it up close to the edges.

you will need to cut smaller pieces where the metal parts are and the end of the swivel because if you lay a full strip it can come loose and also block the corner when opened.

i also used the 3M clear tapes to keep pieces together where you have to use separate pieces. the one made in USA as those do not dry up or shrink like normal tapes.

also seal off the hole where the led suppose to go on the top or just cover the top with some paper/board.

i also stuck a hygrometer at the back piece of the glass.

it wont be as neat as without them but you just need to dust it once a few years.

How do you dustproof?

nowadays alot more options than before. Get a P type weather seal for the side with the swivel. close the door and line it up. back then theres only the jagged ones so you have to keep adjusting with doors opened closed.

then get those h type clear silicone strip for shower glasses to clamp onto the opening side. measure the glass thickness and get the correct one it can stretch abit.

for top and bottom get the adhesive clear strips 2.5cm close the door and try to line it up close to the edges.

you will need to cut smaller pieces where the metal parts are and the end of the swivel because if you lay a full strip it can come loose and also block the corner when opened.

i also used the 3M clear tapes to keep pieces together where you have to use separate pieces. the one made in USA as those do not dry up or shrink like normal tapes.

also seal off the hole where the led suppose to go on the top or just cover the top with some paper/board.

i also stuck a hygrometer at the back piece of the glass.

it wont be as neat as without them but you just need to dust it once a few years.
Thanks for taking the time to type all that out.

Back