Mother's Basement

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's a shocking post on the mothersbasementhasmymoney Facebook page. Some poor woman had a refund of £167.39 that MB gave her in January debited from her account by them today! She's been advised that anyone that has received a refund from them should check their credit / debit card.

You are joking??! Jesus, that's going to push folks over the edge!

Hopefully people can see the difference between long established U.K retailers and these cowboys who came along with their bullying tactics and false promises.
If anything this should be a lesson for buyers to stick with trusted retailers out there.

I hope no decent retailer suffers as a result of these people. There has been enough suffering already.
Good riddance MB!

With regards to them taking back refunds, is that even possible?

Hopefully people can see the difference between long established U.K retailers and these cowboys who came along with their bullying tactics and false promises.
If anything this should be a lesson for buyers to stick with trusted retailers out there.

I hope no decent retailer suffers as a result of these people. There has been enough suffering already.
Good riddance MB!

With regards to them taking back refunds, is that even possible?

**** I hope not.

Yup that woman is me :( , bank said it's not fraud because i willingly gave them my card details, i always used paypal with them and they told me they couldn't refund me via paypal because it was out of the 45 period so had to give them my debit card details over the phone for them to issue the refund to that, the refund went into my bank on 13/1/14 and was taken back out again yesterday, action fraud have said it's clearly fraud and theft because they took it without my consent and after they ceased trading, i've been given a crime number to take back to the bank and if they still refuse to help then i need to contact the financial ombudsman. I have kept my emails from MB including the conversation about how they refunded me, there's another guy who checked his bank after seeing my post and they have done it to him too and took £495 out :(

I may have a theory here , the supposed refunds may not have been refunds after all. Let me clarify , let's say MB issue a refund notice that your bank receives from their card company. Then when the card company goes to debt their account it doesn't find any funds or a cheque bounces . So the card company reverses the " refund" . I need to check if this is possible though.

I may have a theory here , the supppsed refunds may not have been refunds after all. Let me clarify , let's say MB issue a refund notice that your bank receives from their card company. Then when the card company goes to debt their account it doesn't find any funds or a cheque bounces . So the card company reverses the " refund" . I need to check if this is possible though.

i thought the exact same thing, but surely they can't just take money from me when it was never theirs to begin with? the bank told me that if their bank were the ones to reclaim the money then they would of contacted them first rather than just taking it, either way it's my money and not anyone else's and i won't rest until i get every penny back and they get whats coming to them!

Yup that woman is me :( , bank said it's not fraud because i willingly gave them my card details, i always used paypal with them and they told me they couldn't refund me via paypal because it was out of the 45 period so had to give them my debit card details over the phone for them to issue the refund to that, the refund went into my bank on 13/1/14 and was taken back out again yesterday, action fraud have said it's clearly fraud and theft because they took it without my consent and after they ceased trading, i've been given a crime number to take back to the bank and if they still refuse to help then i need to contact the financial ombudsman. I have kept my emails from MB including the conversation about how they refunded me, there's another guy who checked his bank after seeing my post and they have done it to him too and took £495 out :(

Very sorry to hear that! Thank you for posting. I have just now cancelled my debit card... hopefully in time! Mothers basement took my card details over the phone to issue a refund after waiting a long time for the refund via paypal and being told by them after many calls/emails, they often had problems with their system and paypal refunds and using my card will be a faster way to go! :mad:

Very sorry to hear that! Thank you for posting. I have just now cancelled my debit card... hopefully in time! Mothers basement took my card details over the phone to issue a refund after waiting a long time for the refund via paypal and being told by them after many calls/emails, they often had problems with their system and paypal refunds and using my card will be a faster way to go! :mad:

if nothing has been taken from your card just yet then you'll be fine if you cancelled it, i don't post often here usually just browse but needed to speak up to avoid this happening to anyone else.

Thing is i lost my card in Mcdonalds a couple of weeks ago when i took my son and his friend for something to eat, i was ready to call the bank and cancel my card when the staff found it :(

I have just checked with my bank and MB have debited my account for the £480 they originally refunded in early January. I would advise everyone on here to contact their banks as a matter of urgency!!!!

Damn will have to keep.an eye on my credit card, got a refund from them in october. Scary that they have everyone's details.

As of yet, MB are not in formal administration according to companies house and the insolvency service.

I'm still of the belief that it could be the card handling company (streamline?) that is reversing the refunds due to lack of available funds rather than MB actively re-charging peoples cards.

Last edited:
I'm still of the belief that it could be the card handling company (streamline?) that is reversing the refunds due to lack of available funds rather than MB actively re-charging peoples cards.

Yep . That's my theory as well.

Back