Mother's Basement

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Mothers basemet ceases trading. Who has lost money ?

on face book now

I thought it would be a good idea to summarize all names and losses in one post. Write your total loss and I will add your name and loss to this list.

Total losses so far: £23,452.42

Maybe everyone who's lost something could start a new thread to declare their loss?

Its a sad day indeed for my own personal loss and all the other collectors out there who have been scammed and the industry as a whole as Im sure there will be people closing the door on collecting as I will be doing from this whole torrid affair.

Yup... If I don't get my £1373 back one way or another I'm out of this hobby... can't justify buying anything else with so much lost.

This has changed the way I have decided to deal with any UK collectible company.

Same here. Lesson learned, in the worst way ever. I won't even deal with companies who take deposits. I got a couple of pre-orders paid in full with OSB, I might even ask for a refund because of all this. I mean, what if they go under?? ****. If I do get my money back I'll only deal with the only retailer I know of who takes no money until item is in stock, space-figuren.de.

If I do get my money back I'll only deal with the only retailer I know of who takes no money until item is in stock, space-figuren.de.

I just had a look at their site. I've never ordered from overseas before (are you in the UK Dracula?), always been a bit wary as if there are any problems it would be a hassle. But they do have two things that I've wanted to get in the past but are not in stock anywhere in the UK so I'm tempted to give it a go. I assume there are no import or vat fees from Germany to the UK?

Anyone else on here in the UK ordered from here, or anywhere else in Europe?

If I do get my money back I'll only deal with the only retailer I know of who takes no money until item is in stock, space-figuren.de.

Just had a look at the site, seems pretty comprehensive. Decent prices on some of their stuff too.

Do they offer payment plans or does their stock have to be bought up front (minus deposits, etc?).

I just had a look at their site. I've never ordered from overseas before (are you in the UK Dracula?), always been a bit wary as if there are any problems it would be a hassle. But they do have two things that I've wanted to get in the past but are not in stock anywhere in the UK so I'm tempted to give it a go. I assume there are no import or vat fees from Germany to the UK?

Dracula is from Sweden.
Nothing extra to pay buying from within the EU.

What Collectorcol said. ;)

Just had a look at the site, seems pretty comprehensive. Decent prices on some of their stuff too.

Do they offer payment plans or does their stock have to be bought up front (minus deposits, etc?).

I have no idea if they offer payment plans, this is all I could find:
https://www.space-figuren.de/Payment-methods:_:10.html

You could ask them:
https://www.space-figuren.de/Contact:_:7.html

Yup... If I don't get my £1373 back one way or another I'm out of this hobby... can't justify buying anything else with so much lost.

Same here. Lesson learned, in the worst way ever. I won't even deal with companies who take deposits. I got a couple of pre-orders paid in full with OSB, I might even ask for a refund because of all this. I mean, what if they go under?? ****. If I do get my money back I'll only deal with the only retailer I know of who takes no money until item is in stock, space-figuren.de.

Pretty much what i was saying earlier, people are very wary now of small retailers that take deposits even if they are trusted, because if it goes under there would be no money to refund. I am playing it safe also, all my orders are with FP.com, no deposit no risk. Until other retailers offer something similar I doubt I will risk it unless I know an items is coming within 120 days and I use my C card.

Pretty much what i was saying earlier, people are very wary now of small retailers that take deposits even if they are trusted, because if it goes under there would be no money to refund. I am playing it safe also, all my orders are with FP.com, no deposit no risk. Until other retailers offer something similar I doubt I will risk it unless I know an items is coming within 120 days and I use my C card.

Yeah.. not only did this mess hurt us customers, but the honest retailers out there as well. It's not that I think OSB would ever try to rob us or anything. It's just that even legit businesses can go under without the intention to do it.

Yeah.. not only did this mess hurt us customers, but the honest retailers out there as well. It's not that I think OSB would ever try to rob us or anything. It's just that even legit businesses can go under without the intention to do it.

Hopefully it wakes people up to the risks involved and stops them laying out too much with trust alone.
I couldn't sleep knowing a new(ish) retailer had £3,500 of my money and i had nothing but their word.

Please don't put me in same bracket as MothersBasement. I'm not out to do what they do or have done.

Any business has a risk of going under, it's what you do as a business person to manage your business to best avoid that outcome, early 90's I started in this business of collectibles, I'm still here.

Takes one Johnny Bandwagon upstart who got too big too soon, with I guess bills they cannot pay...... damage the collectabke market in less than a week.

In fact, I don't know why I feel the need to defend myself!!

Last edited:
I don't think he meant you personally, even though your name was mentioned :lol I think he meant in general.
You said yourself any business can go under. It really doesn't make sense to have thousands of pounds tied up with any single company.

Got the Email today too. Didn’t have anything on pre-order from there but hoping the best for everyone that did.

Very sorry to hear that fellow collectors have lost money, due to this company going bust.

I don't think he meant you personally, even though your name was mentioned :lol I think he meant in general.
You said yourself any business can go under. It really doesn't make sense to have thousands of pounds tied up with any single company.

I know, I'm just angry that this outcome has an effect on my business, I have a few of my own customers that has been hit with loss of money due to buying through MB as I sold out of pre orders

Have they gone bust?? Has it been confirmed??

I had a call this evening asking about extra stock for those who has lost money, and may want to purchase again, I replied that I will feel uncomfortable selling them an item that they have technically already bought. Just don't feel right!!

I know, I'm just angry that this outcome has an effect on my business, I have a few of my own customers that has been hit with loss of money due to buying through MB as I sold out of pre orders

Have they gone bust?? Has it been confirmed??

I had a call this evening asking about extra stock for those who has lost money, and may want to purchase again, I replied that I will feel uncomfortable selling them an item that they have technically already bought. Just don't feel right!!

I think the reason for confusion over the status of Mother's Basement, was the recent setting up of a Limited Company to replace the original trading status.
Judging by the details in recent articles on the Bleedingcool Blog, there does not appear to be much doubt Mother's Basement has ceased trading -
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/0...s-who-turn-up-in-person-looking-for-a-refund/

High profile bankruptcies upset confidence in the market.. Manufacturers' business models for Collectible Figures, Statues, Prop Replicas and Urban Vinyl; all use pre-orders to help judge market interest and production numbers.. so its bad news for everyone, when a dealer goes out of business owing customers money.

Seriously? You think 'someone' was trying to sell you MB stock :horror

I think Breakersrevenge meant that disappointed Mother's Basement customers are now contacting other dealers, in order to source figures they originally hoped to buy from MB, no?

Back