Mother's Basement

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paid in august. And just sat still for their "It'll be delayed slightly" bull**** excuses.
Bank says they sent payment to paypal. Paypal says "It's outside the 45 day period".
So i have lost £550.
No way to get it back.
But the bank guy AND the Paypal guy says their phones are ringing off the hook with people like me regarding MB. They never gave me details or anything, but both the PP guy and the bank guy, the last four or five calls they had taken were about MB.

It's disgusting that by them invoicing you via Paypal, it strips you of all your consumer protection. The FSA needs to be brought to task for this, and Paypal for that matter. I'm in the same boat but I'm going to fight tooth & nail to get my money refunded by the bank under S75. I've already re-ordered the Batman QS001 though an Amazon retailer for an absolutely extortinate price. But I'll be damned if I let MB deny me what I intended to be my last high end figure. If I get my money back from the bank it will go towards it, if not well at least I can look it and against all odds I got the sodding thing in the end. Hopefully I won't get ripped off again and it doesn't turn up defective :pray:

I thought the idea behind paypal was that the customer was protected, I'll think twice about using them so much now.

I got a refund just before xmas then I ordered from a US supplier.I was not willing to go on on and on.

I thought the idea behind paypal was that the customer was protected, I'll think twice about using them so much now.

Me too, when I spoke to the them they said that I had to contact the bank as they were classed as direct debits

But even more concerning is that they told the deposit that I paid on the 15th Jan wouldn't be covered either, even though it's within 45 days

What exactly am I covered for :lol

I just thought I'd repost this wonderful little rant from their Facebook page.

To All Of Our Genuine Customers

We would like to address the activity of a small group of forum users who aren't customers of ours but are taking it upon themselves to slander our business and attempt to cause trouble for us, including illegal hacking attempts that are under investigation and being dealt with by the police.

As a business, we are NOT in any trouble, we are thriving in fact and just about to submit our first full tax return which shows a healthy profit within our first year of trading.

The fact is that some forum users believe that they are in the majority when in fact that couldn't be farther from the truth. They are vindictive little morons who have nothing better to do than (ironically) sit in their mother's basement and troll hardworking people.

We are a small family run business. We have a small group of employees who are all hardworking family men but yet these idiots think that it's OK to try to put us out of business without any consideration for what that would do to the wives and children of our amazing staff.

The fact is they can't and won't ever put us out of business. We are here to stay and can take all the time in world to bat these flies away. Their actions are pointless and this will be the only time we will EVER recognise them. The only reason we're doing it now is because we want our real customers to get some real information.

If you are a GENUINE customer and want to see some GENUINE feedback that is completely independent and in no way moderated, then please visit*https://www.feefo.com/GB/en/reviews/M...?id=558941*and in fact you can read some very recent reviews from some of our highest spending customers.

Or check out our eBay, Amazon or Play feedback - we've only been using these sites since Christmas but again, totally genuine feedback that you can rely on.

Or if you want to address any concerns then please call us on 0844 800 1169 or email us with your number and we will call you back.

Or if that's not enough, we can show you a list of every item ordered over the past 12 months via Google Analytics and which ones have been delivered via our UKMail system, which equates to 99.2% - this would be for customers only and we would need to do this face to face, which we're happy to do.

We are actually calling every customer over the next day or so to relay the above information.

As for this page, this is for our customers only and is not a forum of any kind. If someone comes on here and says something slanderous, the comment will be deleted and that person will be banned. If you are a customer who wants to reach out and ask a question, you are more than welcome to do so. We will not tolerate any kind of abuse from anyone and if that's what anyone wants to do then they can go and waste their time on a forum somewhere.

We are here to listen to our customers. We are here to resolve issues and I guarantee, you will not find a more caring bunch of people anywhere else. We all LOVE this industry and we love our business. We will do anything within our power to keep our customers happy and the fact that we took more pre-orders in December that any other month since we started, 80% from existing customers, shows that our real customers already believe in the above.

As for the recent stock deliveries, we've dispatched around 70% of what we've had in December and the rest of backlog will be cleared by the end of next week. As we've said before, if anyone doesn't want to wait any longer, then please call us at any time and we will cancel the order.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and please rest assured that we absolutely appreciate your business.

Thanks

Kate, Liam and the Mother's Basement Team

Mothers Basement Reviews | Customer Reviews of www.mothersbasement.co.uk | Reviews of Mother's...Service Products Ratings guide All Feefo reviews are gathered anonymously from genuine customers.

feefo.com

When they posted this they must have known exactly what they were doing. I really hope that they get their just desserts.

But even more concerning is that they told the deposit that I paid on the 15th Jan wouldn't be covered either, even though it's within 45 days

What exactly am I covered for :lol

Did they tell you exactly why? Pretty straightforward case of non supply of the item isn't it? I presume you opened a case?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PayPal is great for what is intended. Purchasing items that are in stock.
The fact that any dispute through PayPal needs to be opened within 45 days of purchase should indicate to anyone that it is not a suitable option for pre orders.

I don't understand how they were making people pay through PayPal when they didn't have an account with them.

PayPal is great for what is intended. Purchasing items that are in stock.
The fact that any dispute through PayPal needs to be opened within 45 days of purchase should indicate to anyone that it is not a suitable option for pre orders.

I don't understand how they were making people pay through PayPal when they didn't have an account with them.

Of course Paypal isn't suitable for pre-orders. It affords the seller, and the credit / debit card company absolution from consumer protection law. That's why it should be made illegal for payment providers such as Paypal & Worldpay to be used for pre-order transactions.

Paypal works well with companies like zavvi mind as they go for a preauthorise on the paypal account of a payment. It doesn't come out until the product is dispatched.

Of course Paypal isn't suitable for pre-orders. It affords the seller, and the credit / debit card company absolution from consumer protection law. That's why it should be made illegal for payment providers such as Paypal & Worldpay to be used for pre-order transactions.
Begs the question as to why so many people used it for that purpose.
I pre-ordered on eBay, Premier Products, but didn't pay a penny until the item was in stock.

I've been reading a couple of things that should hopefully help people out.

If you paid on Debit Card you can do something called chargeback, chargeback does have a time limit which is one of two things. You have 120 days from when you become aware of the issue (so that'd be from today) OR 540 days from the transaction. SO I'd hope a lot of people are covered in that time period.

Online purchases are also effective from the time you receive the item (that's if it's faulty, so all our pre-orders should be covered)

If you paid out of Paypal - not through Paypal, it's going to be harder because the bank transaction is paying into Paypal. If you go through Paypal and use your debit so it goes straight to the seller you should be fine. Although either way you should fight it. No matter what the transaction it's your money for goods and you haven't received the goods.

If you are rejected for chargeback, don't stop take it to the Financial Ombudsman Service.

Begs the question as to why so many people used it for that purpose.
I pre-ordered on eBay, Premier Products, but didn't pay a penny until the item was in stock.

Well that's the idea. MB invoiced me when the item was "in-stock". Only it wasn't and never was.

I'll tell you why I use Paypal for small online retailers, like most of these collectible sites are, it keeps my credit card details safe. I'm not suggesting that any of them are dodgy but lots of them work from home. Do I want my credit card details stored on someone's home computer? Nope. Would I be happy now if I knew that these people at MB had my credit card details after this has happened? Nope.

I don't trust anyone I don't know who isn't a major concern so I will only use Paypal for those retailers. Nothing personal, just makes me feel safer.

I've tried to avoid saying I told you so because it's not helpful, but the warnings have been in this thread since November. I said myself they sound like a company short of funds and if this has come as a shock to anyone, you must be pretty naïve. This has been the predictable outcome of events for the last couple of months.

I feel for you all, sincerely, but I saw it coming all the way. As I said a few days ago, people paying a ton of money up front are crazy, there are alternatives who secure your order and take your money on the day of dispatch.

I'd have been getting refunds when they were offered back in November/December when the writing was already on the wall.

I'll tell you why I use Paypal for small online retailers, like most of these collectible sites are, it keeps my credit card details safe. I'm not suggesting that any of them are dodgy but lots of them work from home. Do I want my credit card details stored on someone's home computer? Nope. Would I be happy now if I knew that these people at MB had my credit card details after this has happened? Nope.

I don't trust anyone I don't know who isn't a major concern so I will only use Paypal for those retailers. Nothing personal, just makes me feel safer.

I've tried to avoid saying I told you so because it's not helpful, but the warnings have been in this thread since November. I said myself they sound like a company short of funds and if this has come as a shock to anyone, you must be pretty naïve. This has been the predictable outcome of events for the last couple of months.

I feel for you all, sincerely, but I saw it coming all the way. As I said a few days ago, people paying a ton of money up front are crazy, there are alternatives who secure your order and take your money on the day of dispatch.

I'd have been getting refunds when they were offered back in November/December when the writing was already on the wall.

Thanks captain hindsight ;)

Well that's the thing, if you look back through this thread I warned about it from the outset. I'm not trying to be a smart arse, I'm just amazed by the number of "shocked" people who have been following this thread.

It was so predictable.

I know man I was just playing with ya

I thought the smiley would be suffice in showing my un seriousness

To be fair the writing was on the wall. I had foolishly assumed that I was protected by paying by credit card. Oops! Plus I didn't think that they could be so low as to do what they did.

Back