Mother's Basement

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to hear this.

I was advised by PayPal to contact trading standards about them. Luckily, after a VERY long time, I got my money back.

I ordered the Hot Toys 1/4 Scale Batman from them in August - apparently, they still haven't posted them out yet.

Hi all. This situation is getting worrying as I am sure others saw the can't answer emails as staff are ill and I am in meetings facebook posting today!!

Anyway for UK purchasers just in case have a look at this LINK.

Its very useful if you paid by credit card like me. As for the batman 1/4 I will look for him elsewhere and get a chargeback if possible when I do. Until then sitting back and seeing what happens? Hopefully for all involved this situation will resolve soon with the safe delivery of batman etc from the shop.

Hi all. This situation is getting worrying as I am sure others saw the can't answer emails as staff are ill and I am in meetings facebook posting today!!

Anyway for UK purchasers just in case have a look at this LINK.

Its very useful if you paid by credit card like me. As for the batman 1/4 I will look for him elsewhere and get a chargeback if possible when I do. Until then sitting back and seeing what happens? Hopefully for all involved this situation will resolve soon with the safe delivery of batman etc from the shop.

Handy to know thanks Gasdoc. My card only protects purchases for 90 days, but hopefully, throwing the Section 75 at them will get my money back if need be. In the meantime, I'll drink to a safe delivery!

The above is just if they fold really (ie Section 75 of the Consumer credit Act 1974) and has no time limit to my knowledge (disclaimer I am not a financial wiz just researching here).

Regarding CHARGEBACK it's interesting as that should be argued 90 days from service provision ie December and delivery on a preorder IMO (and it was late December ) as the figs were declared in warehouse at that point. Also the CC provider will only allow it after a 30 day period HAS PASSED for the company to deliver said service/goods. So charge back is theoretically possible from say Jan until the end of February (at least) and IMO possibly to Mid march for the HT Batman 1/4. Remember guys no good to you if you used your CC through paypal (paypal is responsible then sorry to say and they are unlikely to pay up unless you claim with 30 days OF PAYMENT)

Anyway bottom line if you paid for pre-orders DIRECTLY with CC you can probably relax as you are in a strong position.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OK, so after being on hold for over half an hour with the bank I was told that they'll have to call me back on Monday. Unfortunately for me MB invoiced me through Paypal, so I can imagine I'm going to have a fight on my hands getting them to take responsibility. I don't actually have a Paypal account myself so I'm not sure how that's going to pan out? I managed to find a couple of reviews regarding MB on this site https://www.trustpilot.co.uk/review/mothers-basement.co.uk

To my knowledge that's the first mention of the QS001 made from a customer apart from the guys on this board, and it's not encouraging. They currently have £394.98 of my money with the QS001 and another pre-order that I made last June! And I have...nothing. I'm feeling pretty depressed about the whole sorry affair right now. The only reason I have a credit card is so I'm protected against situations like this. To find out that you're not protected because of Paypal is shocking. It begs the question why use Paypal in the first place, as it does very little to protect the customer in cases like this.

Last edited:
Man it is sad and worrying to read all the people's horror stories with MB.

I have only dealt with tem once (DX13) and that went smoothly but I have noticed that they seem to have raised a lot of their prices recently. I hope everyone gets their items/money back from MB.

Man it is sad and worrying to read all the people's horror stories with MB.

I have only dealt with tem once (DX13) and that went smoothly but I have noticed that they seem to have raised a lot of their prices recently. I hope everyone gets their items/money back from MB.

You received your DX13??? When?

Guys I work for a bank and handle the fraud department. Chargebacks have a finite window as mentioned above however there may be room for interpretation here. Since the items were meant to ship at a later date it might be possible to win this . There is another loophole however I'm not sure how things work in the UK. Here in the UAE for example if enough complaints are raised against a merchant , the payment associations ( MC/ Visa ) directly open what we call a "chargeback" window. That is done in exteme cases of fraud which I unfortunately think this is heading towards. Maybe someone can check this with their bank and ideally mention multiple accounts of non compliance to terms and conditions.

Handy to know thanks Gasdoc. My card only protects purchases for 90 days, but hopefully, throwing the Section 75 at them will get my money back if need be. In the meantime, I'll drink to a safe delivery!

Guys I work for a bank and handle the fraud department. Chargebacks have a finite window as mentioned above however there may be room for interpretation here. Since the items were meant to ship at a later date it might be possible to win this . There is another loophole however I'm not sure how things work in the UK. Here in the UAE for example if enough complaints are raised against a merchant , the payment associations ( MC/ Visa ) directly open what we call a "chargeback" window. That is done in exteme cases of fraud which I unfortunately think this is heading towards. Maybe someone can check this with their bank and ideally mention multiple accounts of non compliance to terms and conditions.

UPDATE:

Well rang bank today. Lloyds Mastercard are happy that this is clearly eligible for Chargeback based on the the service provision rule despite me paying in August 2013. Lloyds disputes department will be dealing with Mothers Basement now:yess:. , so I dont have to/ and to be frank cant be bothered now. So I expect I will suddenly get a HT batman 1/4 next week if they actually have them as promised in the warehouse. If not, I fill in a declaration being sent in the post to get my money back. There seem to be enough on Ebay still :pray:

OK, so after being on hold for over half an hour with the bank I was told that they'll have to call me back on Monday. Unfortunately for me MB invoiced me through Paypal, so I can imagine I'm going to have a fight on my hands getting them to take responsibility. I don't actually have a Paypal account myself so I'm not sure how that's going to pan out? I managed to find a couple of reviews regarding MB on this site https://www.trustpilot.co.uk/review/mothers-basement.co.uk

To my knowledge that's the first mention of the QS001 made from a customer apart from the guys on this board, and it's not encouraging. They currently have £394.98 of my money with the QS001 and another pre-order that I made last June! And I have...nothing. I'm feeling pretty depressed about the whole sorry affair right now. The only reason I have a credit card is so I'm protected against situations like this. To find out that you're not protected because of Paypal is shocking. It begs the question why use Paypal in the first place, as it does very little to protect the customer in cases like this.

Paypal are useless in my experience. My girlfriend had her account hacked for £500 - and paypal washed their hands of it. Luckily, she reversed the charge manually as she'd caught it in time. I always remove my credit card from my profile after every Ebay purchase now.

As worrying as people are finding this situation, I don't think we should jump to conclusions too quickly. Surely the intention of any business is to encourage repeat custom. The value of that outweighs fraud. This is also a business with a good track record of delivering items (my predator replacement was resolved very smoothly with them a few months back.) People are also reporting receiving their '89 Batmobile - which was a severely delayed item. They've also changed their pre-order policy as a result of this upheaval. There's a few reasons to be hopeful of an eventual delivery.

Perhaps they are attempting to protect the sales of a stock order that's gone awry, perhaps, these items aren't truly in stock. Who knows? If this is the case, then I still believe the intention to deliver the goods is there. It could be that they are inundated due to a 2500 unit order as they say. There's been one day of non-response, which in fairness, was posted on their facebook page. If I were in their position, i'd be focusing on backlog only. I'd be looking to minimise communications and just get the damn things out. Hopefully that's what's happening. I think the time to **** our pants will be this month's end.

UPDATE:

Well rang bank today. Lloyds Mastercard are happy that this is clearly eligible for Chargeback based on the the service provision rule despite me paying in August 2013. Lloyds disputes department will be dealing with Mothers Basement now:yess:. , so I dont have to/ and to be frank cant be bothered now. So I expect I will suddenly get a HT batman 1/4 next week if they actually have them as promised in the warehouse. If not, I fill in a declaration being sent in the post to get my money back. There seem to be enough on Ebay still :pray:

That's good news Gasdoc. I'm glad I used a credit-card for these purchases, hopefully Barclaycard draw the same conclusions if need be. However, I want to hang in there for another couple of weeks before pulling out.

I have about £1400 worth of figures (incl. shipping costs) pre-ordered with them. I hope I don't have to go through my bank to get that money back if anything goes wrong with this company. They told me back in December that they were shipping out my DX13 and Tony Stark WS... recently they told me last week.. then this week... I asked them today about it today and got no answer, but they did read my message. Perhaps they read it and are looking into it before they respond. I'm trying to stay positive but I don't know anymore with this company.. really disappointed by how long it's taking for them to ship out orders.

Btw, on their facebook page, on their posts.. I see it says 1 comment, 2 comments etc. But when I click show comments nothing shows up. Does that mean they deleted those comments?

Oh I don't think its deliberate fraud at all! I actually think that they really want the business to succeed but have bitten off far then they can chew (huge orders for too small a business at this present time) and are beginning to outstrip their assets. But rather than being honest so everyone knows where they stand we have the plot to a bad sitcom instead lol.

In regard to the comment above. I have had about a week of non-communication now despite using many modalities eg email, FB and phone before that FB post was posted and I can only forgive so much. (I was told 2 weeks ago that they could see the HT batmans at the back of the warehouse and it would be delivered last Monday or Tuesday for goodness sake). And the Monday/Tuesday delivery promise ran for 2 weeks before they went silent.

I have been very patient for a period of two months and did get a very well packed selina kyle figure eventually (I posted above how pleased I was with the product I believe and gave them good feedback for it on feefo at the time). But its time to draw this to a conclusion so that I either get a product "in stock" for 6 weeks or a refund so I can shop elsewhere. I think this is reasonable really.

Approx 30 working days x 70 parcels a day = It should be delivered/or have a clear delivery date by now if the xmas 2500 parcels is accurate??????????

Last edited:
I personally feel that if I hadn't used PayPal I would still be chasing my £200.
They refunded me and told me it would take ten days, after ten days I received an email saying the refund had failed
I then opened a PayPay dispute and had the money in ny account next day.

Not really any good for pre-orders as their protection only lasts for 30 days, as far as I'm aware.
I wouldn't feel comfortable having £1,400 worth of orders with any company, apart from Sideshow direct. With whom I have more than that but they only hold the deposit anyway.

That's good news Gasdoc. I'm glad I used a credit-card for these purchases, hopefully Barclaycard draw the same conclusions if need be. However, I want to hang in there for another couple of weeks before pulling out.

I think its perfectly safe to do so. I will be perfectly happy to not pursue the chargeback if the product turns up by say Friday of course:).

Last edited:
Back