Mos Eisley: Chalmun's Cantina 1/6 Environment

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The arch lit up. So did the cantina table.

At $250 it should have included the table and chairs.
The table and chairs were $90.00 themselves and this environment is probably the biggest they've released, aside from maybe Yoda's hut (this will be taller but the hut was more of a wraparound)? I don't know, I really think people have crazy expectations for what Sideshow can produce that both looks good and makes a profit.

The table and chairs were $90.00 themselves and this environment is probably the biggest they've released, aside from maybe Yoda's hut (this will be taller but the hut was more of a wraparound)? I don't know, I really think people have crazy expectations for what Sideshow can produce that both looks good and makes a profit.

Yoda's hut, which was far bigger and detailed, had a million accessories, and light up function was $275. The arch, which was light up and probably comparable in size to this one was $140. Based on those, I don't see how this piece should cost more than $150, so yeah, I think two chairs and a table (MSRP $90) should have been thrown in, at least.

I don't see why this far simpler piece without any accessories at all deserves to be just $25 less than Dagobah.

Last edited:
Looking forward to some side-by-side shots with the arch, because it has to be puny compared to the Canina enviro (it - it's just an arch, you know...).

But regardless, we'll agree to disagree. Given the prices on figures and other -- much smaller -- accessories, I just don't find $250.00 for 750 total pieces manufactured worldwide that bad. In the end, a lot of it depends on whether the environment at hand has any significance or not. I like the Yoda scenes in ESB but they didn't resonate with me the way the Cantina scene did in ANH when I was a bit younger, so maybe that's why I'm alright with the price.

Looking forward to some side-by-side shots with the arch, because it has to be puny compared to the Canina enviro (it - it's just an arch, you know...).

But regardless, we'll agree to disagree. Given the prices on figures and other -- much smaller -- accessories, I just don't find $250.00 for 750 total pieces manufactured worldwide that bad. In the end, a lot of it depends on whether the environment at hand has any significance or not. I like the Yoda scenes in ESB but they didn't resonate with me the way the Cantina scene did in ANH when I was a bit younger, so maybe that's why I'm alright with the price.

I have both the arch and Dagobah. They're both fantastic.

I don't see the 750 pieces of the Cantina in those product pics. It's a very simple quarter dome with some details, a stock photo, and then the one detailed box on the back.

Yeah, Dagobah was and is a VERY big deal for me. It effected me in a primal way when the movie was first released, and the Dagobah environment is incredibly detailed, far moreso than this Cantina one. It has a huge catalog of accessories, a stove, a dragon, all kinds of things. I just don't see how this Cantina Environment is anywhere near the Dagobah piece's class. It's about an inch and a half taller, but otherwise a much smaller, less detailed, and FAR less involved piece.

Was Dagobah underpriced? I don't think so. It was expensive as heck! But I feel like this Cantina piece is less than half the piece at 95% of the price. Hence my cancelled pre-order.

I'm anxious to see if the chairs will look as cramped as I'm afraid they will in this thing. It looks pretty cool, but I'm not sure it's going to be big enough to model what I want as the inside of my cantina display.

Definitely a tight fit for 2 chairs and a table. If i ever get this dio, i'll probably use it as a background for the bith band instead.

Looking at the Boba fett carbon chamber base, why can't sideshow do dioramas in plastic?? It's detail would be better and probably sharper to produce, lighting would be way easier, what am I missing??

Looking at the Boba fett carbon chamber base, why can't sideshow do dioramas in plastic?? It's detail would be better and probably sharper to produce, lighting would be way easier, what am I missing??

One factor is that when they make these pieces in the heavy material they can pass them off as "grown up collectors pieces worthy of a $200 price tag", whereas if they were plastic people wouldn't pay that much.

It's a gimmick to enable people to think of them as collectors items rather than toys. I know I would get them if they were made from lighter cheaper plastic, but when they are so overpriced they aren't worth it to me.

Sean

Holy, didn't think it was shipping already (site still shows it as a pre-order). Great pics, Valentin. Looks really cool and glad I placed an order for one through my LCS. Are you happy with it now that you've seen it in-hand?

i really like it (though not enough to buy :lol) & adding a floor wouldn't be that hard to do but honestly i think it should have came with one.

Looks pretty nice, but I imagined it larger and more "enveloping" somehow - it really comes across as two walls. Maybe it is the lack of a floor. Interested to see it with some "regular" 1/6 figs in it - that BD is a skinny fellow!

Nice detail, but I'm starting to feel like some of these stucco pieces (Gartogg's arch as well) really look like something you could somewhat easily achieve with a custom. It's "crisp/complex/techno" things like a Death Star or Blockade Runner corridor that you can't achieve and need SSC sets for.

I had forgotten it doesn't have a floor... honestly look a bit cheap overall.
It wouldn't make a lot of sense to add a floor, I think, because the floor would end at the walls (or some other arbitrary point chosen by Sideshow), whereas displays will no doubt expand well beyond that. With a custom floor, table/chairs and some Cantina denizens, it'll look great.

I agree a lot of people could conceivably do their own environment but the truth is few of us will ever bother.

Kinda surprised the amount of negativity this piece seems to elicit. If it had been larger, more enveloping and included a large floor, it would be another $200.00 (plus more expensive shipping) and likely no-one would ever buy it.

Good point about the floor maybe being too restrictive... but I guess it's just odd to me to see an evironment piece with no kind of bottom :huh

Yeah, agreed it looks odd, at first. Think what I will ideally do is find a suitably large tile with the right colour and then have it cut in such a way that it 'fades' (i.e., edges of tile away from interior walls will be cut in a wavy line so it doesn't end abruptly). Then add a couple sets of tables/chairs and some Cantina folks. Once seen in context, I think it will do a lot to dress this environment up.

Yeah, agreed it looks odd, at first. Think what I will ideally do is find a suitably large tile with the right colour and then have it cut in such a way that it 'fades' (i.e., edges of tile away from interior walls will be cut in a wavy line so it doesn't end abruptly). Then add a couple sets of tables/chairs and some Cantina folks. Once seen in context, I think it will do a lot to dress this environment up.

That's a great idea, so you can make the floor as big as you want and yet have it still appear as though it "belongs" to the set.

Let's face it, f SSC had done a floor, it would have been a drink coaster.

625594_343024235782956_1555488225_n.jpg

Totally dig this environment... Gotta be the 2nd best to me, after the throne room.

Back