Moria Orc Archer ... Who's GOT one?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chauvelin2000

Just a little freaky
Reaction score
The Moria Orc:orc Archer:archer ... is finally MINE! :rock

It's been one of those ELUSIVE catches. :ring But FINALLY! :dance

Having had a limited production run, has anyone even the remotest idea :huh of how many pieces of this FINE sculpt were actually produced?

I know eBay prices for the Archer have been quite high in the past, but they're coming down a bit (... and I wonder how long THAT will last! :banghead).

... Which is why I was able to snag mine this week for a "paltry" *$450!* :clap

I'm interested, tho ... How many SSW Freaks out there were lucky enough to grab one ... and how much $$$ :confused: did you have to pay to snag it?

Just curious -- one inquiring mind wants to know! Endulge me :D (and the rest of us!!), if you would.

Ecstatically yours,

chauvelin2000

Last edited:
Re: Moria Orc Archer ... Who's got one?

I can understand you enthusiasm about this piece, chauvelin. I got mine about 2 years ago, and I had to pay more for it than for my Moria Orc Swordsman (which I got pretty cheap I must say), just to give you an indication. I remember asking SSC if they could precise the definition "open edition" (no fixed Edition Size), and the answer I got roughly came down to 'nobody knows exactly how much where made'. Later, I read somewhere the rumored ES of the M O archer and the M O swordsman, but I don't remember the number. If someone knows, please come forward! But actually, it doesn't really matter to me. I just love the design of the Moria Orc's. Unfortunately, I can't display them, because I don't have the room, so I keep them in their boxes (just like all the other SSC/Attakus junk I bought over the years! :rolleyes:).

$450 is still too high for me. Congrats!

On open edition, it is quite possible that many of the FOTR statues have a smaller run than many of the "limited edition" items.

I prefer the Swordsman to the Archer, I need both!

Daveyjaro said:

On open edition, it is quite possible that many of the FOTR statues have a smaller run than many of the "limited edition" items.

Yes, that is possible, but unless an insider form SSC (or Weta?) will tell us, we'll never know! Me too, I also prefer the swordsman. Such a pity, that you never see them for longer that a second in "The Fellowship".

Yes, somebody at SSW should know the answer to all of the open editions. I think that when you declare your earnings, accounting department needs to know the price and the item sold. I am very curious to know the actual amounts. Most of the statues I am missing from my collection are the open edition FOTR ones.

Personally I prefer the Archer, though I don't have either. Couple the MOA with a CT and the Gimli statue and you have a really cool display. :cool:

I'm hoping my waitlists for the Moria Orcs come through. They haven't been canceled, so there is hope!

$300 for the pair would be sweet.

The Moria Orc Archer was the very first LOTR statue I bought. That was 3 years ago. Raw price was 125 USD. I had to pay freight and taxes (19,6%) as I live in France. The total amount was 230 USD.
I still have this statue. I display it with the standing Legolas statue (second one I bought). They are face to face, just ready to kill. :orc :archer

In may 2003, I couldn't find the Moria Orc Archer in France as it was already gone. Bye bye. So I had to buy it in the USA (from Bigbadtoys). I had to do the same with the Sam and Bill statue (my third statue, for 290 USD at that time). I was told by a french seller that the Sam and Bill statue was difficult to sell and that SSC decided to stop its production.

Does anyone know the edition size for these statues?

Well . . .just to tease y'all I picked my MOA up for $285 from an awesome fellow member here some time last year!

Congrats on the Archer, Chauvelin! You must be a very happy today - that's a whole lot of smilies :lol

It is a cool statue, but I prefer the Swordsman by far. The "Moria Bunch" is indeed a cool trio :naughty :

View attachment 920

The topic of "how many of the open edition statues have been produced" has been dicussed in various forums a lot of times with the same outcome: nobody knows - or they won't tell...

Maybe we could start a list of the "open edition" statues as well, similar to the "limited edition" list here?

I really like this statue. I can't afford it myself, but I do eagerly await it in either a PF or 12" format.

PF MoA would go great with PF Lurtz.

LOTRFan said:
Personally I prefer the Archer, though I don't have either. Couple the MOA with a CT and the Gimli statue and you have a really cool display. :cool:

Yep - and don't forget the Balrog ;)

I really like the continuity of the Moria stone bases carried through these 4 pieces. It nicely showcases the battle within Gimli's ancestral halls against the new residents. I paid retail for each.

Please don't hate me because I'm polyful :D
:banana :elefant :banana :elefant :banana

Seriously - congrats on the Archer. It has been one of my personal faves since the early days. :clap

spaceman said:
It nicely showcases the battle within Gimli's ancestral halls against the new residents. I paid retail for each.

Please don't hate me because I'm polyful :D

Now I do... :mad:

But then I again, I don't cause you're doing such a wonderful job tracking those "not-even-close-to-retail" prices...:)

I really like the continuity of the Moria stone bases carried through these 4 pieces. It nicely showcases the battle within Gimli's ancestral halls against the new residents. I paid retail for each.

Gimli was my first statue I ever bought, paid below retail. I missed out on the MOA and MOS and now I probably won't get for a long time. One day I want to have those two pieces. I have all the other Moria statues and busts, so it is a big omission in my collection.

Thanks for cutting me a little slack Goliath ;)

Daveyjaro said:
Gimli was my first statue I ever bought, paid below retail. I missed out on the MOA and MOS and now I probably won't get for a long time. One day I want to have those two pieces. I have all the other Moria statues and busts, so it is a big omission in my collection.

I don't have the swordsman either. Back in the day it was all about prioritizing. I was stretched too far trying to pay for the pieces I was picking up, and had to be picky. The swordsman didn't appeal to me so much then, but I always loved the archer as representative for the Moria orcs. I snagged one from BigBadToyStore, IIRC just before they sold out. In hindsight now, and with the flow of new product halted, I have a bit more love for the swordsman -- not quite at the level of today's prices though. My biggest regret is the Trueform WitchKing -- I felt it was redundant to the RWOS when it was announced. :eek:

I'm one of the old geezer completists who starting buying this stuff from SS
back in 2002. I've always liked the archer better that the swordsman.
Congrats on one of my favorites.

Thanks to all -- tom, alice, davey, grey, bill, brinda, radagaster, goliath, fly, spaceman, and larbob -- for the many BEST WISHES as I welcome my little "Archie" into his new SSW gallery home. He's definitely earned a place of honor here.

I can tell from your glowing comments that he's one of your FAVs also. SSW really outdid themselves with this one -- a real piece of ART. Fantastic.

Let's hope some closeted "Insider" at SSW comes forward with the secret info about Archie's small band of brothers! :eek:

regards,

chauvelin2000

Last edited:
Daveyjaro said:

$450 is consider a good catch, not cheap but reasonable now, for it used to be 699USD, comparable to the New-born, the latter is being pushed up in price due to its "only 500 produced label"

Back